NSF receives many Design and Development proposals but fewer DRK-12 proposals for Exploratory projects. This month we're featuring a Spotlight on Exploratory Research, where in addition to highlighting Exploratory projects, we also feature projects funded to build on Exploratory research. Our blog shares shares tips for those considering submitting an Exploratory proposal to advance research into new areas.
We’re excited to welcome the newest DRK-12 awardees to the DRK-12 community. We hope you’ll read about their research plans and find connections to your own work. We’re also happy to feature the 2022 DRK-12 Summer Reading List. Thank you to everyone who submitted information about their recent publications through our survey or by contacting email@example.com. These publications offer another way for us to learn about DRK-12 findings and STEM teaching and learning innovations. Awardees can also share their work through #NSFstories (be sure to tag @cadrek12). Learn more about NSF’s Science Happens Here initiative.
This month’s federal and policy updates related to STEM education include the release of new state-level data available from the Science and Engineering State Indicators data tool and related report, and the White House announcement of the National Partnership for Student Success (NPSS). NPSS is designed to help expand tutoring, mentoring, and other evidence-based student support programs to address, in part, pandemic-related learning loss. You can also catch up on the National Academies’ Committee on Equity in PreK-12 STEM Education meetings. Finally, NSF announced an $8.6 million partnership with leading foundations to improve U.S. STEM education.
The CADRE Team
Exploratory Research | Spotlight
The DRK-12 program invites proposals for six project types: (1) Exploratory, (2) Design and Development, (3) Impact, (4) Implementation and Improvement, (5) Syntheses, and (6) Conferences. Exploratory research is at the beginning of the evidence-building continuum, establishing the basis and development of an intervention. This research explores relationships between an intervention’s design features and learning outcomes.
This Spotlight features descriptions of DRK-12-funded Exploratory projects and projects that have built on a previously funded Exploratory research, and a blog post with more information about this project type, including how it is different from Early-Concept Grants for Exploratory Research (EAGER).
In this Spotlight...
- Tips for Designing and Implementing Exploratory DRK-12 Projects | Blog Post by CADRE
- Featured Exploratory Projects:
- Building Environmental and Educational Technology Competence and Leadership Among Educators: An Exploration in Virtual Reality Professional Development (PI: Nastassia Jones)
- Building Students' Data Literacy Through the Co-design of Curriculum by Mathematics and Art Teachers (Collaborative Research: Matuk) (PI: Camillia Matuk)
- Co-Learning Math Teaching Project: Collaborative Structures to Support Learning to Teach Across the Professional Teaching Continuum (PI: Ruth Heaton)
- Developing Pre-service Teachers' Capacity to Teach Students with Learning Disabilities in Algebra I (PI: Casey Hord)
- Enhancing Energy Literacy Through Place-based Learning: Using the School Building to Link Energy Use with Earth Systems (PI: Laura Zangori)
- Fostering Equitable Groupwork to Promote Conceptual Mathematics Learning (PI: Anna DeJarnette)
- Incorporating Professional Science Writing into High School STEM Research Projects (PI: Sarah Fankhauser)
- Reasoning Language for Teaching Secondary Algebra (PI: Cody Patterson)
- Featured Projects Built on Exploratory Research:
Summer Reading List | 2021-22 DRK-12 Publications
We also invite you to explore an impressive list of STEM education publications authored by early career researchers in the CADRE community (CAREER awardees, CADRE Fellows, and CADRE Postdocs). Find them in the Early Career News section of our website.
New DRK-12 Awards | Project List
Since our last newsletter, additional DRK-12 projects have been funded. View the full list of recent awards below.
Congratulations to the newest DRK-12 awardees and welcome to our community! We look forward to getting to know you and hearing about your work as it progresses.
Project Tip: Building a Mentoring Plan
Mentoring early career scholars is an important component of our work if we wish to extend and grow the field of STEM education research. Whether you work with students, postdoctoral researchers, or early career scholars, consider how you will mentor them:
Mentoring plans to support postdoctoral researchers at lead or collaborating institutions are required in NSF proposals via an uploaded, one-page description of the mentoring activities that will be provided (unless the postdoctoral researcher is functioning in a Senior Personnel capacity). As stated in the NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedure Guide (PAPPG), mentoring plans are evaluated under the Broader Impacts review criterion.
Both mentors and mentees can benefit from contributing to a mentoring plan, formally or informally. Listen to a former mentor and mentee discuss how to build a successful mentor-mentee experience. For additional insights into successful mentoring and developing mentoring plans, visit CADRE’s resources in Mentoring for Post-Secondary Scholars. These resources and more are posted to CADRE’s NSF Proposal Toolkit.
News from NSF
- NSF is hosting several upcoming informational webinars on the EHR Core Research (ECR:Core) solicitation.
- The NSF-EHR Newsletter Spring/Summer 2022 Edition shares events, news, and awards plus an announcement about partnerships.
News from NSF Networks
- CIRCLS shares the newest RETTL awardees.
- EvaluATE offers an Assessment of Professional Development Activities Toolkit.
- In this blog post, CIRCLS describes the Emerging Scholars CIRCLS program, including how you can join.
- NSF INCLUDES has posted a new research brief, Equity-Centered Leadership and Communication, and a new resource brief, Goals & Metrics: Gathering Evidence for Success.
- STELAR's latest blog post, Project Spotlight: Enhancing Engagement and Conceptual Understanding of Fractions for Students with Learning Disabilities Using the Model Mathematics Education Curriculum, features the ITEST-funded work of DRK-12 community member Jessica Hunt.
- Amanda LaTasha Armstrong (2020-21 CADRE Fellow) was selected for the Start with Equity Fellowship with the Children’s Equity Project at Arizona State University.
- Tanya S. Wright received the Jerry Johns Outstanding Teacher Educator in Reading Award from the International Literacy Association.
- The NASEM-hosted Webinar Series: Content Integration in Preschool through Elementary Classrooms (Fourth) will feature the SAIL program (led by Okhee Lee). The July 28 webinar will be moderated by Eve Manz.
- Assessing Argumentation Using Machine Learning and Cognitive Diagnostic Modeling | Research in Science Education
Authors: Xiaoming Zhai, Kevin C. Haudek, and Wenchao Ma
- Challenging but Achievable Math for Young Children | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Douglas H. Clements, Shannon S. Guss, and Julie Sarama
- Changing the Gendered Status Quo in Engineering? The Encouraging and Discouraging Experiences of Young Women with Engineering Aspirations | Science Education
Authors: Ursula Nguyen, Tatiane Russo-Tait, Catherine Riegle-Crumb, and Katherine Doerr
- Characterizing Pedagogical Decision Points in Sense-Making Conversations Motivated by Scientific Uncertainty | Science Education
Authors: Jessica Watkins and Eve Manz
- Collegiate Mathematics Teaching in Proof-based Courses: What We Now Know and What We Have Yet to Learn | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Kathleen Melhuish, Timothy Fukawa-Connelly, Paul C. Dawkins, Christian Woods, and Keith Weber
- Combining Hands-on and Virtual Experiments for Enhancing Fluid Mechanics Teaching: A Design-based Research Study | Computer Applications in Engineering Education
Authors: Ronald R. Gutierrez, Frank Escusa, Joseph A. Lyon, Alejandra J. Magana, Jose H. Cabrera, Richard Pehovaz, Oscar Link, German Rivillas-Ospina, Guillermo J. Acuña, Julio M. Kuroiwa, Monica X. Guzman, and Francisco G. Latosinski
- Does This Count as Work? Nurturing Computational Thinking in the Science Classroom | The Science Teacher
Authors: Nanette Marcum-Dietrich, Meridith Bruozas, and John Domyancich
- Documenting Professional Learning Focused on Implementing High-Quality Instructional Materials in Mathematics: The AIM–TRU Learning Cycle | International Journal of STEM Education
Authors: John Lawson Russell, Joseph DiNapoli, and Eileen Murray
- Effects of Data Nuggets on Student Interest in STEM Careers, Self-efficacy in Data Tasks, and Ability to Construct Scientific Explanations | International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
Authors: Elizabeth H. Schultheis, Melissa K. Kjelvik (2018 CADRE Postdoc), Jeffrey Snowden, Louise Mead, and Molly A. M. Stuhlsatz
- EL Policy and Immigrant Politics: State and Federal Policy and Ever-EL Students’ Postsecondary Pathways | Educational Policy
Authors: Rebecca M. Callahan, Lei Jiang, and Anne-Marie Núñez
- Embracing Equity and Excellence while Constructing Science Teacher Identities in Urban Schools: Voices of New Teachers of Color | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Maria Varelas, David Segura, Marcela Bernal-Munera, and Carole Mitchener
- Examining Preservice Elementary Teachers’ Answer Changing Behavior on a Content Knowledge for Teaching Science Assessment | Journal of Science Education and Technology
Authors: Katherine E. Castellano, Jamie N. Mikeska (2010-11 CADRE Fellow), Jung Aa Moon, Steven Holtzman, Jie Gao, and Yang Jiang
- Examining Technology-Supported Teacher Responding and Students’ Written Mathematical Explanations | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: James P. Bywater (2018-19 CADRE Fellow), Sarah Lilly, and Jennifer L. Chiu
- Exploring Factors That Impact Physical Science Doctoral Student Role Identities Through a Multiple Case Study Approach | Science Education
Authors: Anne M. McAlister, Sarah Lilly, and Jennifer L. Chiu
- Exploring Science Teaching in Interaction at the Instructional Core | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Miray Tekkumru-Kisa, Ozlem Akcil-Okan, Zahid Kisa, and Sherry Southerland
- Interpretation and Use Statements for Instruments in Mathematics Education | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Michele B. Carney, Jonathan Bostic, Erin Krupa, and Jeff Shih
- Impacts of Faculty Development on Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Teaching and Learning in the Food-Energy-Water Nexus | Journal of College Science Teaching
Authors: Amie S. Sommers, Holly White, Jenny M. Dauer (2012-13 CADRE Fellow), and Cory Forbes
- Investigating Data Like a Data Scientist: Key Practices and Processes | Statistics Education Research Journal
Authors: Hollylynne Lee, Gemma Mojica, Emily Thrasher, and Peter Baumgartner
- Learning Analytics for Assessing Hands-On Laboratory Skills in Science Classrooms Using Bayesian Network Analysis | Research in Science Education
Authors: Shiyan Jiang, Xudong Huang, Shannon H. Sung, and Charles Xie
- Long-Term Relationships Between Mathematics Instructional Time During Teacher Preparation and Specialized Content Knowledge | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Julien Corven, Joseph DiNapoli, Laura Willoughby, and James Hiebert
- Marginalized Within the Margins: Supporting Mathematics Meaning Making Among Students with Learning Disabilities | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Jonee Wilson (2013-14 CADRE Fellow) and Jessica H. Hunt
- Modeling, Reading, and Talking, Oh My!: Using Multiple Modes to Promote Sensemaking and Scientific Literacy in the Early Elementary Grades | Science & Children
Authors: Miranda S. Fitzgerald, Amber S. Bismack, Amelia Wenk Gotwals, Tanya S. Wright, and Erin K. Washburn
- Noticing and Disrupting Racialized Power Hierarchies: Strategies for Science Teaching and Learning | The Science Teacher
Author: Kathleen Schenkel (2016-17 CADRE Fellow)
- Panels v. Trees: Broadening the Pathways of Engineering Education Through Integration with Social Studies | Science Scope
Authors: Shannon Sung, Rundong Jiang, Xudong Huang, and Charles Xie
- Storylines in Public News Media about Mathematics Education and Minoritized Students | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Annica Andersson, Ulrika Ryan, Beth Herbel-Eisenmann, Hilja Lisa Huru, and David Wagner
- Supporting a Museum-based Network of Science Teacher Leaders | Connected Science Learning
Authors: Sara C. Heredia, Michelle Phillips, and Julie H. Yu
- Talking Through the “Messy Middle” of Partnerships in Science Education | Science Education
Authors: Tina Cheuk and Daniel Morales-Doyle
- Temperature Turmoil | Creative Commons
Author: Laura Bofferding
- The Efficacy of Research-based “Mathematics for All” Professional Development | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Kathleen Melhuish, Eva Thanheiser, Alexander White, Brenda Rosencrans, J. Michael Shaughnessy, Linda Foreman, Andrew Riffel, and Layla Guyot
- Three Ways to Enhance Tasks for Multilingual Learners | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Sarah A. Roberts, Zandra de Araujo, Craig Willey, and William Zahner
- To Understand Society, We Need to Look at Data | EDC Innovations Blog
Authors: Josephine Louie and Jennifer Stiles
- UDL Solutions for Common Science Barriers | The Science Teacher
Authors: Shalece Kohnke (2022 CADRE Fellow), Michelle S. Patterson, and Rebecca Moehlmann
- Using Structured Decision-Making in the Classroom to Promote Information Literacy in the Context of Decision-Making | Journal of College Science Teaching
Authors: Jenny M. Dauer (2012-13 CADRE Fellow), Amanda E. Sorensen, and P. Citlally Jimenez
- What If? Supporting Scientific Literacy with Young Children Through Connections with Our Earth | Science & Children
Authors: Alissa A. Lange
- “You Need to Be More Responsible”: The Myth of Meritocracy and Teachers’ Accounts of Homework Inequalities | Educational Researcher
Authors: Jessica McCrory Calarco, Ilana S. Horn (CADRE co-PI), and Grace A. Chen
- July 27, 2022 – NSF | Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- July 28, 2022 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Letter of Intent)
- August 1, 2022 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Letter of Intent)
- August 12, 2022 – NSF | Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST)
- October 5, 2022 – NSF | Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- October 6, 2022 – NSF | Advanced Technological Education (ATE)
- October 6, 2022 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR:Core)
- October 11, 2022 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- October 17, 2022 – NSF | Research on Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning
- November 14, 2022 – NSF | HSI Program Network Resource Centers and Hubs (HSI-Net) (Letter of Intent)
- December 2, 2022 – NSF | Centers of Research Excellence in Science and Technology (CREST) and HBCU Research Infrastructure for Science and Engineering (HBCU-RISE)
- December 15, 2022 – NSF | HSI Program Network Resource Centers and Hubs (HSI-Net) (Full Proposal)
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Exploring Mathematics
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher Educator | Perspectives on Practice
- August 2022 – Journal of Chemical Education | Teaching Changes and Insights Gained in the Time after COVID-19
- August 1, 2022 – Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics | Diagnostic Statistical Models
- August 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Environmental Science: Natural Disasters
- August 1, 2022 – Science Scope | PS2: Matter and Its Interactions
- August 5, 2022 – Journal of Geoscience Education | The Effects of the COVID-19 Crisis on Geoscience Education: Insights, Problems, and Unanticipated Benefits
- September 15, 2022 – AMTE Professional Book Series | Building Community to Center Equity and Justice in Mathematics Teacher Education
- September 30, 2022 – Educational Technology & Society | Developing Learner Agency in Smart Environments
- NEW! October 1, 2022 – International Society for Technology, Education and Science | Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Education (Book Chapter Summary Proposal)
- October 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Inspired by Nature: Biomimicry
- October 1, 2022 – Science Scope | Using Coding and 3D Printing to Support Science and Engineering
- November 11, 2022 – Learning, Media and Technology | Global and Local Histories of Educational Technology
- NEW! November 30, 2022 – The Physics Teacher | Environment, Sustainability, and Climate Change
- December 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Eclipses Across America
- December 1, 2022 – Science Scope | Eclipses Across America
- NEW! December 16, 2022 – Computers in the Schools | Artificial Intelligence and Education (AI&ED): Possibilities, Pedagogies and Risks
- December 31, 2022 – Educational Technology & Society | Preparing for the Future: Cultivating Self-directed Learners with Technology in the K-12 Context
- August 1, 2022 (Extended) – 2023 AERA Annual Meeting (Call for Submissions)
- August 12, 2022 – 2023 SIGCSE Technical Symposium (Call for Paper Abstracts)
- NEW! August 15, 2022 – 2023 NARST International Conference (Call for Proposals)
- NEW! August 15, 2022 – 2023 NCME Annual Meeting (Call for Proposals)
- August 19, 2022 – 2023 SIGCSE Technical Symposium (Call for Full Papers; Panel, Special Session, Workshop Proposals)
- September 4, 2022 – 2023 RCML Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- October 10, 2022 – 2023 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for Student E-Poster Abstracts)
- October 27, 2022 – 20th Biennial EARLI Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 18, 2022 – 2023 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Papers)
Career & Professional Development
- July 27, 2022 – William T. Grant Foundation: Early-Career Reviewer Program
- NEW! August 15, 2022 – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Education: Postdoc Research Associate
- NEW! September 12, 2022 – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Education: Faculty Position in School Psychology
- NEW! September 15, 2022 – University of Michigan: Assistant Professor of Educational Studies (Focus on Critical Studies)
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Educational Testing Service: Research Scientist - Fairness, Equity, Validity and Efficacy
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Michigan State University: Research Associate, Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology, and Special Education (Application review began May 2, 2022)
- Until filled – Northwestern University, School of Education and Social Policy and Center for Native American and Indigenous Research: Postdoctoral Scholar (Application review began June 15, 2022)
- Until filled – Southern Methodist University: Education Policy and Leadership Associate/Full Professor (Application review began December 15, 2021)
- NEW! Until filled – Southern Methodist University: Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Until filled – University of Delaware: Research Associate for NSF CS4All Project
- Until filled – University of Nebraska-Lincoln: Postdoctoral Scholar in Science Literacy Research
- Until filled – University of Notre Dame, Department of Psychology: Postdoctoral Scholar in Educational Psychology and Research Methods (Application review began June 30, 2022)
- NEW! Until filled – University of Pittsburgh, School of Computing and Information: Broader Impacts Project Coordinator
- Until filled – University of Utah: Director of the Genetic Science Learning Center; Assistant/Associate Professor (Application review began May 1, 2022)
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: