CADRE is excited to announce that we’re now accepting applications for the 2023 CADRE Fellows program! This program offers mentorship and community building for early career scholars and seeks to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion in the field of STEM education research. Please spread the word about this opportunity!
We welcome one new awardee this month, Completing the Development of the Electronic Test of Early Numeracy (e-TEN). View the full list of recent DRK-12 awardees.
CADRE sent our annual awardee survey to active DRK-12 project members on September 20. We hope that you’ll complete the survey to inform CADRE and EQR Hub’s programming over the next year. For example, responses to last year’s survey informed the focus of CADRE’s Learning Series and EQR Hub’s Community of Practice. We appreciate your responses to this 5-10 minute survey by Monday, October 3.
We’ve begun working with the 2023 DRK-12 PI Meeting Planning Committee to design opportunities for you to share your work and talk about timely topics such as designing research with equity in mind and working with schools. Watch for a Call for Proposals coming this fall.
In this newsletter, we provide links to webinar recordings and related resources from CADRE’s Learning Series on Case Study Design, the CADRE-organized Multiplex on Inclusivity in Mathematics Classrooms (which is also the topic of this month’s Spotlight), and EQR Hub’s The Value of Cultural and Linguistic Competence in Research.
You may also be interested in the recordings and reports related to recent NASEM events on Early Data Science Education for K-12 Students and Enhancing Science and Engineering in Pre-K through Fifth Grade which included current and former DRK-12 awardees as panelists and authors.
If you’re working on a DRK-12 proposal, we encourage you to watch our recent Uncovering the Hidden Curriculum of DRK-12 series episode on Responding to Rejection or the earlier video, Post Panel Pop-off, which offer insights about writing successful proposals. For more tips and key documents, explore the NSF Proposal Toolkit.
The CADRE Team
Inclusive Mathematics Education | Spotlight
Developing mathematical knowledge, skills, and literacy is critical not just for pursuing higher education and STEM careers, but also for empowering all students to use mathematics to reason about and contribute to their lives, interests, and communities. Historically, however, mathematics teaching, learning, and assessment has devalued, inadequately supported, and further marginalized populations that are underrepresented and underserved in STEM education.
In this Spotlight, we feature ten DRK-12 projects focused on approaches, practices, environments, and tools that support equitable and inclusive mathematics education for all learners. CADRE also partnered with TERC to organize this month’s STEM for All Multiplex Theme of the Month on inclusive mathematics education. We invite you to read a perspective piece by Salvador Huitzilopochtli, watch the webinar recording, view the video playlist, and participate in the online discussion that continues this week.
In this Spotlight:
- STEM for All Multiplex: Inclusive Mathematics Classrooms: Advocating for Policies, Practices, and Resources
- Blog by Salvador Huitzilopochtli
- Video Playlist
- Expert Panel Webinar Recording featuring Salvador Huitzilopochtli, Kathryn Chval, Babette Moeller, Beatriz Quintos, and Jonee Wilson
- Online Discussion
- Featured Projects
- Broadening Participation in Mathematics for English Learners with Mathematics Difficulties: A Multi-Site Impact Study (PI: Christian Doabler)
- CAREER: Black and Latinx Parents Leading Reform and Advancing Racial Justice in Elementary Mathematics (PI: Frances Harper)
- CAREER: Designing Learning Environments to Foster Productive and Powerful Discussions among Linguistically Diverse Students in Secondary Mathematics (PI: William Zahner)
- Developing and Researching K-12 Teacher Leaders Enacting Anti-bias Mathematics Education (PIs: Rebekah Elliott, Ruth Heaton, Eva Thanheiser, Cathery Yeh)
- Leveraging Simulations in Preservice Preparation to Improve Mathematics Teaching for Students with Disabilities (PIs: Julie Cohen, Nathan Jones)
- Parents, Teachers, and Multilingual Children Collaborating on Mathematics Together (PIs: Marta Civil, Rachel Pinnow, Beatriz Quintos)
- Paving the Way for Fractions: Exploring Foundational Concepts in First Grade (PIs: Nancy Jordan, Nora Newcombe)
- Storytelling for Mathematics Learning and Engagement (PI: Erica Walker)
- Supporting Teachers to Develop Equitable Mathematics Instruction Through Rubric-based Coaching (PIs: Heather Hill, Erica Litke, Jonee Wilson)
- Young Mathematicians: Expanding an Innovative and Promising Model Across Learning Environments to Promote Preschoolers' Mathematics Knowledge (PI: Jessica Young)
- Additional Projects
- Related Resources
2023 CADRE Fellows | Application
CADRE is now accepting applications for the 2023 CADRE Fellows program. The program provides professional growth opportunities for early career researchers (e.g., doctoral students, postdocs, research assistants) whose work centers on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in preK-12 STEM education. We invite early career scholars to apply.
If you are a more senior scholar and know someone who may be a good fit for the program, we encourage you to share this opportunity.
We aim to establish a cohort of 15 Fellows that represent diverse backgrounds, experiences, interests, professional goals, institutions, and geographic regions. View the full applicant criteria.
Applications are due by 5 PM ET on Monday, October 24, 2022. The new Fellows cohort will be announced in late November. This year’s program will run from January to July 2023. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Designing Case Study Research | CADRE Learning Series
The CADRE Learning Series on designing case study research is a two-part event.
During Part 1, held September 12, panelists shared examples, strategies for planning and implementing case study research, and resources for learning more. Watch the webinar recording, review the slides, and explore a list of case study resources.
Part 2 will be held October 24, 2-3:30 PM ET. During the Part 2 webinar, participants will engage in small-group consultations. Register by October 13, 2022. If you were unable to attend Part 1, we encourage you to watch the recording before attending Part 2.
Cultural and Linguistic Competence in Research | EQR Hub Resources & Upcoming Workshop
The Evidence Quality and Reach Hub recently held a webinar on the value and importance of integrating cultural and linguistic competence (CLC) into research. The recording and slides are now available.
For those of you interested in continuing the conversation, the EQR Hub is offering a free workshop October 31–November 2 from 11–2 PM ET focused on cultural and linguistic competence in survey design and methodology. Learn more. Register by September 30.
Project Tip: Policy Outreach
CADRE’s survey of DRK-12 awardees indicates that many researchers are interested in learning more about how to share their research and enter into conversations with policymakers, whether they are local, state, or national representatives. Learn some tips for Conducting Legislative Visits.
News from NSF
- NSF will host an informational webinar on October 4, 2022, 11:30 AM ET on the recently posted Dear Colleague Letter on Advancing Educational Innovations and Broadening Participation in STEM with Blockchain Technology.
News from NSF Networks
- A new NSF INCLUDES rapid community report shares how the AccessCyberlearning 2.0 project developed equitable, inclusive collaborations to support students with disabilities.
- EvaluATE is hosting a webinar September 28 at 1 PM ET, Beyond Research: Practical Tools for Your Evaluation Toolbox.
- The NSF Advancing Informal STEM Learning program team is hosting a series of informational webinars about the new AISL solicitation (NSF 22-626).
- Citizen Science Framing and Delivery Models: Impacts on Young People’s Environmental Science Learning | Connected Science Learning
Authors: Jessica Wardlaw, Ana Benavides-Lahnstein, Lucy Robinson, Julia Lorke, Sasha Pratt-Taweh, Maryam Ghadiri Khanaposhtani, Heidi Ballard, and Victoria Burton
- Community Policing in Schools and School Resource Officer Transparency | Education Policy
Authors: F. Chris Curran and Lelydeyvis Boza
- Design Principles That Support Course Design Innovation for Elementary Mathematics Methods Courses | Mathematics Teacher Educator
Authors: Evthokia Stephanie Saclarides, Brette Garner, Gladys Krause (2016-17 CADRE Fellow), Claudia Bertolone-Smith, and Jen Munson
- Enhancing Science Performance of Middle-School Students with and without Developmental and Behavioral-based Disabilities Using the Content Acquisition Podcast Professional Development Approach | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Victoria J. VanUitert (2019-20 CADRE Fellow), Michael J. Kennedy, Katherine N. Peeples, John Elwood Romig, Hannah M. Mathews, and Wendy J. Rodgers
- Examining Pre-service Science Teachers’ Development and Utilization of Written and Oral Argument and Representation Resources in an Argument-based Inquiry Environment | Chemistry Education Research and Practice
Authors: Fatma Yaman and Brian Hand
- Examining the Effects of Quality Talk Discussions on 4th- and 5th-Grade Students’ High-Level Comprehension of Text | Contemporary Educational Psychology
Authors: P. Karen Murphy, Jeffrey A. Greene, Carla M. Firetto, Rachel M. V. Croninger, Rebekah F. Duke, Mengyi Li, and Nikki G. Lobczowski
- Filling a “Void”: The Mathematical Quality in Planning Protocol for Mathematics Teacher Educators | Mathematics Teacher Educator
Authors: Kevin Voogt and Kristen Bieda
- Hybrid Discourse Spaces: A Mixed Methods Study of Student Engagement in U.S. Science Classrooms | Contemporary Educational Psychology
Authors: Christine Lee Bae, Martinique A. Sealy, Lauren Cabrera, Jessica R. Gladstone, and Daphne Mills
- Improving Prekindergarten and Elementary Science Teaching: A Synthesis of Recent DRK-12 Program Investment in This Field | American Institutes for Research
Authors: Danielle Ferguson, Isabella Pinerua, and Dean Gerdeman
- Making Insights from Educational Psychology and Educational Technology Research More Useful for Practice | Educational Psychologist
Author: Barbara Means
- Metacognition and Self-Regulation in Programming Education: Theories and Exemplars of Use | ACM Transactions on Computing Education
Authors: Dastyni Loksa, Lauren Margulieux, Brett A. Becker, Michelle Craig, Paul Denny, Raymond Pettit, and James Prather
- Predicting Student Science Achievement Using Post-unit Assessment Performances in a Coherent High School Chemistry Project-based Learning System | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Peng He, I-Chien Chen, Israel Touitou, Kayla Bartz, Barbara Schneider, and Joseph Krajcik
- (Re)learning to Teach Science with a Hearing Impairment: An Auto-ethnographic Study | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Deborah Hanuscin and Spencer Green
- Secondary Mathematics Teachers Learning to Do and Teach Mathematical Modeling: A Trajectory | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Rose Mary Zbiek, Susan A. Peters, Benjamin Galluzzo, and Stephanie J. White
- Students Do Not Always Mean What We Think They Mean: A Questioning Strategy to Elicit the Reasoning Behind Unexpected Causal Patterns in Student System Models | International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
Authors: A. Lynn Stephens, Steven Roderick, Namsoo Shin, and Daniel Damelin
- Tackling Tangential Student Contributions | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Blake E. Peterson, Shari L. Stockero, Keith R. Leatham, and Laura R. Van Zoest
- Taking a Spatial Turn in Mathematics Teacher Education | Mathematics Teacher Educator
Authors: Travis Weiland and Lisa L. Poling
- Thinking Thru Making: Mapping Computational Thinking Practices onto Scientific Reasoning | Journal of Science Education and Technology
Authors: Colby Tofel-Grehl, Kristin A. Searle, and Douglas Ball
- Towards Water Literacy: Analysis of Standards for Teaching and Learning about Water on Earth | Journal of Geoscience Education
Authors: Silvia-Jessica Mostacedo-Marasovic, Brooke Colleen Mott, Holly White, and Cory T. Forbes
- Understanding Similarity Through Dilations of Nonstandard Shapes | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Marina Basu, Karen Koellner, Jennifer K. Jacobs, and Nanette Seago
- Using an Emergency Plan to Combat Teacher Burnout Following a Natural Hazard | Educational Policy
Authors: Sarah R. Cannon, Cassandra R. Davis, and Rex Long
- Using Technology-Mediated Inquiry to Help Young Learners Reimagine the Visible World Through Simple Particle Models | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Ala Samarapungavan, Lynn A. Bryan, Carolyn Staudt, Bima Sapkota, Hector E. Will Pinto, Jamie M. Broadhead, and Nathan Kimball
Do you have news to share? Email email@example.com.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- October 4, 2022 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU - EiR)
- October 5, 2022 – NSF | Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- October 6, 2022 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE)
- October 6, 2022 – NSF | Advanced Technological Education (ATE)
- October 6, 2022 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR:Core)
- October 17, 2022 – NSF | Research on Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning
- October 18, 2022 – NSF | NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) (STEM Education and Learning)
- October 25, 2022 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
- November 14, 2022 – NSF | HSI Program Network Resource Centers and Hubs (HSI-Net) (Letter of Intent)
- December 2, 2022 – NSF | Centers of Research Excellence in Science and Technology (CREST) and HBCU Research Infrastructure for Science and Engineering (HBCU-RISE)
- December 15, 2022 – NSF | HSI Program Network Resource Centers and Hubs (HSI-Net) (Full Proposal)
- January 9, 2023 – NSF | LSAMP National Coordination Hub and Louis Stokes Community Resource Centers (LSAMP Hub & LSCRCs)
- NEW! January 11, 2023 – NSF | Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL)
- NEW! January 17, 2023 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- January 21, 2023 – NSF | Ethical and Responsible Research (ER2)
- February 6, 2023 – NSF | Growing Convergence Research (GCR)
- February 24, 2023 – NSF | EHR Core Research: Building Capacity in STEM Education Research
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Exploring Mathematics
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher Educator | Perspectives on Practice
- September 30, 2022 – Educational Technology & Society | Developing Learner Agency in Smart Environments
- October 1, 2022 – International Society for Technology, Education and Science | Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Education (Book Chapter Summary Proposal)
- October 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Inspired by Nature: Biomimicry
- October 1, 2022 – Science Scope | Using Coding and 3D Printing to Support Science and Engineering
- NEW! October 1, 2022 – The Science Teacher | Creating a Scientific Classroom Community
- November 1, 2022 – Connected Science Learning | Teaching Coding and Computer Science Through Connected Learning
- NEW! November 1, 2022 – Review of Research in Education | Educational Side Effects (Call for Proposals)
- November 11, 2022 – Learning, Media and Technology | Global and Local Histories of Educational Technology
- November 15, 2022 – Connected Science Learning | Engaging with Phenomena
- NEW! November 30, 2022 – Educational Technology Research and Development | Learning Through Design and Maker Education
- November 30, 2022 – The Physics Teacher | Environment, Sustainability, and Climate Change
- December 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Eclipses Across America
- December 1, 2022 – Science Scope | Eclipses Across America
- NEW! December 1, 2022 – The Science Teacher | NGSS Sensemaking Lessons
- NEW! December 9, 2022 – Journal of Research on Technology in Education | Tackling Misinformation Through Online Information Literacy: Structural and Contextual Considerations (Call for Abstracts)
- December 16, 2022 – Computers in the Schools | Artificial Intelligence and Education (AI&ED): Possibilities, Pedagogies and Risks
- NEW! December 30, 2022 – International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology | Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Education (Call for Book Chapters)
- NEW! December 31, 2022 – Cultural Studies of Science Education | Science Education during Times of Crisis: Reflections, Responses, and Forward Thinking from the CSSE Community
- NEW! December 31, 2022 – Educational Studies in Mathematics | Eye-tracking Research in Mathematics Education
- NEW! December 31, 2022 – Educational Studies in Mathematics | Mathematical Modelling
- NEW! December 31, 2022 – Educational Studies in Mathematics | Race, Racism, and Racialization in Mathematics Education: Global Perspectives
- NEW! December 31, 2022 – Educational Studies in Mathematics | Transition from School into University Mathematics: Experiences across Educational Contexts
- December 31, 2022 – Educational Technology & Society | Preparing for the Future: Cultivating Self-directed Learners with Technology in the K-12 Context
- January 15, 2023 – Connected Science Learning | Social Emotional Learning and STEM
- NEW! January 30, 2023 – International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology | Technology-Enhanced Learning Environments in Education (Call for Book Chapters)
- NEW! February 1, 2023 – Journal of Research in Science Teaching | Learning and Teaching in Times of Science Denial and Disinformation (Extended Abstracts)
- February 1, 2023 – Science Scope | Cultivating Collaboration
- NEW! February 1, 2023 – The Science Teacher | Scientific Literacy
- September 30, 2022 (Extended) – 2023 ISTE Annual Conference and Exposition (Call for Proposals)
- NEW! September 30, 2022 – 2023 NSTA National Conference (Call for Session Proposals)
- NEW! October 1, 2022 – 2023 AACTE Annual Meeting (Call for Proposals)
- NEW! October 7, 2022 – 2023 NCTM Annual Meeting & Exposition (Call for Proposals)
- October 10, 2022 – 2023 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for Student E-Poster Abstracts)
- October 27, 2022 – 20th Biennial EARLI Conference (Call for Proposals)
- NEW! October 28, 2022 – 2023 SITE International Conference (Call for Proposals)
- NEW! October 31, 2022 – 2023 ASEE Annual Conference (Call for Abstracts)
- November 18, 2022 – 2023 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Papers)
Career & Professional Development
- September 30, 2022 – University of California, San Diego: Assistant Professor of Education (Application review began September 15, 2022)
- NEW! October 2, 2022 – American Association for the Advancement of Science, Inclusive STEM Ecosystems for Equity & Diversity Unit: Senior Project Director
- October 10, 2022 – University of Georgia, Department of Educational Psychology: Assistant Professor (Quantitative Methodology)
- October 15, 2022 (Extended) – University of Michigan: Assistant Professor of Educational Studies (Focus on Critical Studies)
- October 31, 2022 (Extended) – Stanford University, Graduate School of Education: Early to Mid-Career Faculty Position in Early Childhood
- NEW! October 31, 2022 – University of Denver, Marsico Institute for Early Learning: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Until filled – Bowdoin College: Post Doctoral Research Fellow in Education
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Institute for Science and Math Education at University of Washington: Postdoctoral Scholar, Climate Justice Education
- Until filled – Michigan State University: Research Associate, Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology, and Special Education (Application review began May 2, 2022)
- NEW! Until filled – North Carolina State University: Assistant or Associate Professor in Digital Transformation of Education (Application review begins November 1, 2022)
- NEW! Until filled – North Carolina State University: Assistant Professor in Elementary Education (Application review begins October 17, 2022)
- Until filled – Northwestern University, School of Education and Social Policy and Center for Native American and Indigenous Research: Postdoctoral Scholar (Application review began June 15, 2022)
- NEW! Until filled – Purdue University: Assistant Professor in Special Education (Application review begins October 3, 2022)
- Until filled – Rochester Institute of Technology, Department of Computer Science: Lecturer (Application review begins October 1, 2022)
- Until filled – Southern Methodist University: Education Policy and Leadership Associate/Full Professor (Application review began December 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Southern Methodist University: Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Until filled – The Concord Consortium: Postdoctoral Researcher
- Until filled – University of Arizona: Assistant Professor, Science Education (Application review begins October 7, 2022)
- Until filled – University of Delaware: Research Associate for NSF CS4All Project
- Until filled – University of Delaware, School of Education: Post Doctoral Researcher (Application review began July 17, 2022)
- Until filled – University of Maryland: Faculty Position in Education Policy (Application review began September 16, 2022)
- NEW! Until filled – University of Missouri, Department of Learning, Teaching & Curriculum: Richard G. Miller Endowed Chair in Mathematics Education; Lucy Fields-Gallup and Jeffrey Gallup Chair in Mathematics Education
- Until filled – University of Nebraska-Lincoln: Postdoctoral Scholar in Science Education Research
- Until filled – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Education: Faculty Position in School Psychology (Application review began September 12, 2022)
- Until filled – University of Pittsburgh, School of Computing and Information: Broader Impacts Project Coordinator
- Until filled – University of Tennessee - Knoxville, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies: Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Evaluation, Statistics, and Methodology (Application review began September 19, 2022)
- NEW! Until filled – University of Texas at Arlington: Assistant Professor in Bilingual Education (Application review began September 8, 2022)
- Until filled – University of Utah: Director of the Genetic Science Learning Center; Assistant/Associate Professor (Application review began May 1, 2022)
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
Subscribe | Create CADRE Account