DRK-12 Research and Products
Teachers’ orientations toward using student mathematical thinking as a resource during whole-class discussionPublication | The purpose of this study is to characterize teachers’ orientations toward using student mathematical thinking as a resource during whole-class instruction.
Does student-centered instruction engage students differently? The moderation effect of student ethnicityPublication | This study examined the relationship between student-centered mathematics instruction and adolescents’ behavioral, cognitive, emotional, and social engagement in mathematics and whether the relationship differed by ethnicity.
Cross-Case Analysis of Engineering Education Experiences in Inclusive STEM-Focused High Schools in the United StatesPublication | The purpose of this paper is to report results of a systematic cross-case analysis exploring the extent of engineering learning opportunities in five exemplar Inclusive STEM High Schools (ISHSs).
- Presentation | In this May 2nd webinar, panelists discussed how to prepare for effective informational meetings with congressional staff and craft appropriate messages about preK-12 STEM education research for conversations with local, state, and national policymakers.
Student learning emotions in middle school mathematics classrooms: investigating associations with dialogic instructional practicesPublication | Authors examine how dialogic instruction, a socially dynamic form of instruction, was associated with four learning emotions in mathematics: enjoyment, pride, anger, and boredom.
- Publication | In recent years, prominent organizations have released large-scale policy reports on the state of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education in the United States, with particular emphasis on curricula and instructional practices. The purpose of this...
Pre-service K-8 Teachers’ Professional Noticing and Strategy Evaluation Skills: An Exploratory StudyPublication | This study sheds light on three teaching competencies: Pre-service teachers’ (PSTs’) professional noticing of student mathematical reasoning and strategies, their ability to assess the validity of student reasoning and strategies, and to select student strategy for class...
- Publication | In this study, authors use Phenomenological Variant Ecological Systems Theory as a strengths‐based approach to investigate 10 undergraduate Black women’s perceptions of race and gender on their STEM identity development and engagement.
Large Scale Scientific Modeling Practices that Can Influence Science Instruction at the Unit and Lesson LevelsPublication | In this study we articulate a multi-level scientific Modeling Practices Framework derived from expert studies on model based teaching strategies in classrooms and examine its usefulness in an actual classroom context.
- Presentation | In this October 25th webinar, NSF Program Officer Rob Ochsendorf introduced DR K-12 grantees to the ins and outs of NSF DR K-12 project management.
- Publication | This tool is designed for early career STEM education researchers to offer tips for pursuing careers in academia. The advice largely comes from National Science Foundation-funded awardees who have graciously shared information about their own career pathways, work...
Exploring the Difficulties African-American Middle School Girls Face Enacting Computational Algorithmic Thinking over three Years while Designing Games for Social ChangePublication | This article explores middle school girls' reflections about the difficulties they faced while using computational algorithmic thinking capabilities as they engaged in collaborative game design for social change. Authors focus on how these difficulties changed over the...
- Tool | It seems like there are new tech and social media tools coming out every day. So what’s out there? And how can these tools be used to enhance your work?
- Publication | This study investigates strategies teachers use to support mental imagery during model-based science class discussions.
Emerging Design Principles for Online and Blended Teacher Professional Development in K-12 STEM EducationPublication | Following the launch of Spotlight on Online & Blended Professional Development (PD), CADRE convened awardees representing 11 DRK-12 projects in a series of activities designed to elicit and form consensus around emerging design principles for online and blended teacher...