DRK-12 Research and Products
Rehumanizing the Mathematics Education of Students with Disabilities: Critical Perspectives on Research and PracticePublication | This editorial is part of a special issue of Investigations in Mathematics Learning Critical Approaches that was inspired by a Disability in Mathematics Education working group.
Teachers’ Noticing of Students’ Thinking in Science Through Classroom Artifacts: In What Ways Are Science and Engineering Practices Evident?Publication | Building on the work of teacher noticing, this study investigated teachers’ noticing of students’ thinking evident in artifacts from their science teaching context.
- Publication | This column provides how-to strategies and practical advice for the science teacher.
- Publication | The study’s purpose is to describe content validity evidence related to new problem-solving measures currently under development.
Impact of Model‐based Science Curriculum and Instruction on Elementary Students' Explanations for the HydrospherePublication | Scientific modeling affords opportunities for students to develop representations, make their ideas visible, and generate model‐based explanations for complex natural systems like the water cycle. This study describes a comprehensive evaluation of a 5‐year, design‐based...
- Tool | Planning to submit an NSF proposal this year? This toolkit is a compilation of helpful resources.
Uncovering the Skills That Preservice Teachers Bring to Teacher Education: The Practice of Eliciting a Student’s ThinkingPublication | This article reports a study of the specific knowledge of and skills with teaching practice that novices bring to teacher education with respect to one teaching practice, eliciting student thinking in elementary mathematics, and describes the use of a standardized teaching...
Scaffolding Scientific Thinking: Students’ Evaluations and Judgments during Earth Science Knowledge ConstructionPublication | Critical evaluation underpins the practices of science. In a three-year classroom-based research project, we developed and tested instructional scaffolds for Earth science content in which students evaluate lines of evidence with respect to alternative explanations of...
- Publication | This article looks at strategies that create access while maintaining the cognitive demand of a mathematics task.
- Publication | This article examines recognition by presenting the case of a physics teacher, Dr. D, and his student, Kristina, to address the question: What are the ways in which a young woman perceives recognition from her teacher?
- Publication | The goal for this proceeding is to foster the conversation about validation using examples and to communicate information about validation in ways that are broadly accessible.
- Publication | Ambitious Science Teaching outlines a powerful framework for science teaching to ensure that instruction is rigorous and equitable for students from all backgrounds. The practices presented in the book are being used in schools and districts that seek to improve science...
Examining the Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching of Proving in Scenarios Written by Pre-service TeachersPublication | This chapter examines what aspects of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching of Proving (MKT-P) can be observed in written scenarios of classroom interactions, produced by pre-service teachers of mathematics.
The Computational Algorithmic Thinking (CAT) Capability Flow: An Approach to Articulating CAT Capabilities over Time in African-American Middle-school GirlsPublication | This paper explores the CAT Capability Flow, which begins to describe the processes and sub-skills and capabilities involve in computational algorithmic thinking (CAT). To do this, authors engage in an approach which results in an initial flowchart that depicts the...
Improving the preparation of novice secondary science teachers for English learners: A proof of concept studyPublication | This proof of concept study investigated a secondary science teacher preparation intervention in six university programs across Arizona, California, and Texas. Researchers and science method instructors (SMIs) collaboratively restructured respective science method courses...