DRK-12 Research and Products
- Tool | This document features issues and approaches that were discussed by a “critical friends group” in the process of providing input to a DRK-12 project on dissemination strategies. While not comprehensive, the considerations listed may serve as a reminder of what to think...
Engineering for sustainable communities: Epistemic tools in support of equitable and consequential middle school engineeringPublication | This study is focused on engineering for sustainable communities (EfSC) in three middle school classrooms.
- Presentation | These slides were presented at the 2019 Annual International Conference of NARST in Baltimore, MD.
Framing, Adapting, and Applying: Learning to Contextualize Science Activity in Multilingual Science ClassroomsPublication | This article looks at context-based approaches to science instruction. Authors studied the effects of changes to a set of secondary science teacher education programs, all of which were redesigned with attention to the Secondary Science Teaching with English Language and...
- Publication | In this article, authors explore a variety of types of responsive teaching and elaborate a specific type of responsive teaching—epistemologically responsive science teaching.
- Tool | A compilation of resources on best practices for a successful webinar and free webinar options.
- Tool | This lesson plan template centers the importance of including Elders and Environment in Indigenous STEM teaching and learning, and is a way for teachers to weave Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) and Western Science into lessons.
- Tool | Sortable Excel lists of DRK-12 recent publications, upcoming presentations, and project websites for 2018-19.
Teachers' framing of argumentation goals: Working together to develop individual versus communal understandingPublication | This study explores how teachers describe, or frame, expectations for classroom discussions pertaining to the science practice of argumentation. Authors use the theoretical lens of a participation framework to examine how teachers emphasize particular actions and goals for...
- Presentation | These slides were presented at the 2019 Annual Conference of the National Science Teachers Association, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Tool | Tool for conducting classroom discussions.
How to support secondary school students’ consideration of uncertainty in scientific argument writing: A case study of a High-Adventure Science curriculum modulePublication | In this article, authors discuss an online Earth science curriculum module called, “Will there be enough fresh water?” designed to engage students in thinking about uncertainty as part of writing scientific arguments.
- Publication | This conversion mixed method study analyzed student work samples and teacher lesson plans from seven exemplary inclusive STEM high schools to better understand at what level teachers at these schools are engaging and developing student 21st Century skills.
- Tool | A compilation of resources to help you choose the right visualization for your dissemination, as well as tips on how to create those visualizations.
- Publication | In this paper, the author theorizes reciprocal noticing as a relational practice through which teachers and students exchange roles as knowers by reciprocating each other’s noticing as they study mathematics concepts.