As schooling during the pandemic has moved from classrooms to online learning, students with disabilities may be facing particular challenges with STEM learning (Pew Research Center). Our Spotlight this month focuses on projects studying innovations to support students with disabilities. Former CADRE Fellow Brianna Tomlinson’s blog addresses making learning more accessible through new content delivery systems and ed tech tools such as simulations.
This month we’re also highlighting an NSF-investment in diversifying the STEM education workforce. In honor of Black History Month, we invite you to read a blog by DRK-12 PI William McHenry and Barbara McHenry describing an HBCU partnership to prepare science and mathematics teachers for high-needs school districts.
Thank you in advance to awardees who have nominated early career researchers for CADRE’s Postdoc Opportunity, a capacity-building experience. The deadline for applications is today (February 23). We also want to thank the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting Planning Committee, who has begun working on designing a meeting that will be engaging and worthwhile for the DRK-12 community and the work that we do. Committee members include Jody Bintz, BSCS; Jose Blackorby, Harvard University and CAST; Paul Cobb, Vanderbilt University; Zandra de Araujo, University of Missouri; Ximena Dominguez, Digital Promise; Maisie Gholson, University of Michigan; Marcia Linn, University of California, Berkeley; Jamie Mikeska, ETS; and Eric Wiebe, North Carolina State University.
Each year, we collect information about DRK-12 awardee presentations, publications, and products so we can support their impact on the research and education communities. This year the information will also help participants at the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting (scheduled for June; more information coming soon) to learn more about your work.
Finally, we look forward to hosting online office hours with NSF program officers on February 24 and March 4 to answer new awardees' questions about grants management. You can still register to attend.
The CADRE Team
STEM STARS: Producing an Effective Science and Mathematics Teacher Workforce for High-Needs Schools
As we celebrate Black History Month, CADRE is pleased to highlight HBCU leadership and partnership in DRK-12. In this blog, William McHenry (Jackson State University) and Barbara McHenry (retired educator) underscore the need for highly qualified teachers in high-needs districts in order to maintain a competitive STEM workforce that reflects the increasingly diverse American population. They describe their efforts to address this need through strategic partnership with three HBCUs that are well positioned to increase the number of Black teachers in high-needs schools.
Spotlight on Supporting Students with Disabilities
This month's Spotlight features projects that support students with learning or physical disabilities. In addition to sharing their work, the projects also offer advice on how to be more responsive to students with learning or physical disabilities. The blog, written by 2017-18 CADRE Fellow Brianna Tomlinson, shares an example of how PhetSims adapted an existing learning tool to make it more accessible to the visually impaired but also to augment the experience for all users.
In this Spotlight...
Share Your Work with the DRK-12 Community
Do you have recent products to share with the greater DRK-12 community? Please take a moment to complete this survey to submit information about your DRK-12 recent publications, upcoming conference presentations, and/or any new products or project websites.
In addition to sharing your work in our newsletters, CADRE uses this information to update project pages, the event calendar, and the resource library on cadrek12.org. To have your latest work featured in CADRE’s March newsletter, information must be submitted by March 15.
Project Tip: 20 Tips for Teaching an Accessible Online Course
This document, written by Sheryl Burgstahler from the University of Washington's DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology) Center, shares nine tips to make your course's webpages, documents, images, and videos more accessible, and 11 tips on instructional methods to support all students, including those with disabilities.
Find more resources in our Dissemination Toolkit: Accessible Products & Communications.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Awards & Recognition
- Cindy Hmelo-Silver was named distinguished professor at Indiana University.
- Joseph Krajcik was awarded the International Society for Design and Development in Education (ISDDE) 2021 Prize for Excellence in Educational Design.
- Tanner Huffman was selected by SIARM (Summer Institute In Advanced Research Methods) as an NSF Fellow of STEM Education Research.
- A Day of Reckoning for the White Academy: Reframing Success for African American Women in STEM | Cultural Studies of Science Education
Authors: Terrell R. Morton (2018 CADRE Postdoc) and Tara Nkrumah
- A Light Challenge: First Graders Engineer an Obstacle Course with Flashlights | Science & Children
Authors: Alissa A. Lange, Erin Rice, Noell Howe, and Qiuju Tian
- A Vision That Focuses on Diversity and Broader Impact | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Felicia Moore Mensah and Troy D. Sadler
- Decentering Whiteness in Teacher Education: Addressing the Questions of Who, With Whom, and How | Journal of Teacher Education
Authors: Dorinda J. Carter Andrews, Ye He, Joanne E. Marciano, Gail Richmond, and María Salazar
- Enhancing Science Lessons to Support Multilingual Students’ Engagement in Science and Engineering Practices | Science Scope
Authors: María González-Howard (2015-16 CADRE Fellow), Sage Andersen, and Karina MÉndez PÉrez
- Ephemeris: Between the Momentous and the Recurring | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Author: Patricio Herbst
- Examining the Effectiveness of a Professional Development Program: Integration of Educational Robotics into Science and Mathematics Curricula | Journal of Science Education and Technology
Authors: Hye Sun You, Sonia Mary Chacko, and Vikram Kapila
- Impacts of Attending an Inclusive STEM High School: Meta-analytic Estimates from Five Studies | International Journal of STEM Education
Authors: Barbara Means, Haiwen Wang, Xin Wei, Viki Young, and Emi Iwatani
- Instructional Scaffolding to Engage All Learners in Complex Science Text | Science Scope
Authors: Delinda van Garderen, Rachel Juergensen (2020-21 CADRE Fellow), Cassandra Smith, Heba Abdelnaby, Amy Lannin, and William Folk
- Length Measurement in the Early Years: Teaching and Learning with Learning Trajectories | Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Authors: Julie Sarama, Douglas H. Clements, Jeffrey E. Barrett, Craig J. Cullen, Aaron Hudyma, and Yuly Vanegas
- Listening to and Understanding Students’ Algorithms | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Gladys Krause (2016-17 CADRE Fellow), Luz A. Maldonado Rodríguez, and Melissa Adams-Corral
- Mapping Students’ Engineering Processes with Design Zones | Science & Children
Authors: Nicole Batrouny, Kristen Wendell, Chelsea Andrews, and Tejaswini Dalvi
- Middle Science Computing Integration with Preservice Teachers | Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching
Authors: Lauren Margulieux and Aman Yadav
- Multidimensional Trajectories for Understanding Ecosystems | Science Education
Authors: Catherine Eberbach, Cindy E. Hmelo‐Silver, Rebecca Jordan, Joseph Taylor, and Roberta Hunter (2020 CADRE Postdoc)
- Positionality Practices and Dimensions of Impact on Equity Research: A Collaborative Inquiry and Call to the Community | Journal of Engineering Education
Authors: Stephen Secules, Cassandra McCall, Joel Alejandro Mejia (2013-14 CADRE Fellow), Chanel Beebe, Adam S. Masters, Matilde L. Sánchez‐Peña, and Martina Svyantek
- Prospective K-8 Teachers’ Noticing of Student Justifications and Generalizations in the Context of Analyzing Written Artifacts and Video-Records | International Journal of STEM Education
Authors: Marta T. Magiera and Vecihi S. Zambak (2018 CADRE Postdoc)
- Reviewer, Essay, and Reviewing Process Characteristics That Predict Errors in Web-based Peer Review | Computers & Education
Authors: Yao Xiong and Christian D. Schunn
- “Science That Matters” | Science Scope
Authors: Daniel Birmingham and Angela Calabrese Barton
- “They Have A Lot More Freedom than They Know”: Science Education as a Space for Radical Openness | Cultural Studies of Science Education
Authors: Jill Williams and Sara Tolbert
- The Leadership Identification Tool: Maintaining the Quality of Interactions in Online Professional Learning Communities of Teachers | Journal of Interactive Learning Research
Authors: Anthony Matranga, Jason Silverman, Emmanuel Koku, Valerie Klein, and Wesley Shumar
- Toward a Productive Definition of Technology in Science and STEM Education | CITE Journal
Authors: Joshua Ellis, Jeanna Wieselmann, Ramya Sivaraj, Gillian Roehrig, Emily Dare, and Elizabeth Ring-Whalen
- Understanding the Impact of Racial Attitudes on Preservice Teachers’ Perceptions of Children’s Mathematical Thinking | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Dan Battey, Tonya Bartell, Corey Webel, and Amanda Lowry
- Understanding Coherence and Integration in Integrated STEM Curriculum | International Journal of STEM Education
Authors: Gillian H. Roehrig, Emily A. Dare, Elizabeth Ring-Whalen, and Jeanna R. Wieselmann
- Using Community Artifacts to Support Novice Math Teacher Educators in Teaching Prospective Teachers | International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
Authors: Alison Castro Superfine and Kathleen Pitvorec
Do you have news to share? Email email@example.com.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- February 25, 2021 – IES | Research Networks Focused on Critical Problems of Education Policy and Practice
- February 25, 2021 – IES | Transformative Research in the Education Sciences Grants Program
- February 26, 2021 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR): Building Capacity in STEM Education Research (ECR: BCSER)
- March 10, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Preliminary Proposal)
- April 22, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Preliminary Proposal)
- April 26, 2021 (Extended) – NSF | EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Track 4: EPSCoR Research Fellows (RII Track-4)
- June 9, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Full Proposal)
- July 26, 2021 – NSF | Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- August 2, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Letter of Intent)
- August 6, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Full Proposal)
- August 13, 2021 – NSF | Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST)
For more NSF funding opportunities, see CADRE's list of Upcoming NSF DRL Solicitation Deadlines.
- February 28, 2021 (Extended) – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Special Issue on Digital Equity and the Digital Divide
- February 28, 2021 – Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications | Restarting the New Normal
- March 1, 2021 (Extended) – Journal of Engineering Education | Effects on the Engineering Education Community of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- March 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Innovative Lesson Planning
- March 31, 2021 – Mathematics Education Research Journal | Teachers as Designers of Instructional Tasks
- April 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Education’s New Era
- April 1, 2021 – Journal of Computer Assisted Learning | Trustworthy Assessment and Academic Integrity in Remote Learning: Design, Technologies, Policies, Privacy, and the Disruption of COVID-19 (Call for Abstracts)
- April 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Design Thinking
- April 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Professional Development
- April 1, 2021 – The Science Teacher | Social Justice in the Science Classroom
- April 12, 2021 – Journal of Chemical Education | Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Respect in Chemistry Education Research and Practice
- April 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Enacting the Nation's STEM Strategic Plan
- April 30, 2021 – Advanced Engineering Informatics | Emerging Learning Technologies for Future of Work and Education in Engineering
- April 30, 2021 – Science & Education | Why Trust Science and Science Education?
- June 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Cultivating Educator Efficacy
- June 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Water in Our World
- June 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Science Teaching Challenges
- June 1, 2021 – The Science Teacher | Culturally Relevant Science Pedagogy
- June 30, 2021 – Mathematics Education Research Journal | Approaches to Investigating Young Children’s Mathematical Activity (Call for Abstracts)
- July 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Engage and Motivate!
- August 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Information Processing
- August 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Creating a Classroom Community
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Equity Every Day
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Technology & Society | Learning at the Intersection of Data Literacy and Social Justice
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- March 1, 2021 – 2021 NCTM Regional Conferences & Expositions (Call for Proposals)
- March 3, 2021 – 2021 AAPT Summer Meeting (Call for Abstracts)
- March 12, 2021 – 43rd Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Call for Proposals)
- March 15, 2021 – Connected Learning Summit 2021 (Call for Proposals)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
Career & Professional Development
- February 25, 2021 – PEERS Workshop on Quantitative and Computational Methods for STEM Education Research (Webinar)
- March 15, 2021 – Research in Mathematics Education: Call for Editors
- March 15, 2021 – Rutgers University: Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Global Racial Justice
- March 23, 2021 (Extended) – Review of Research in Education: Call for Editors
- March 29, 2021 – Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR): Scholarship for Education Research
- April 1, 2021 – University of Maine: Postdoctoral Research Associate
- April 15, 2021 – NSF Quantitative Research Methods for STEM Education Scholars Program
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review begins February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Institute for Student-AI Teaming and the Center for Integrative Research in Computing and Learning Sciences (CIRCLS): Artificial Intelligence in K-12 Classrooms—Postdoctoral Position
- Until filled – National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine: Program Officer - Board on Science Education
- Until filled – NSF Methods Training Institute for STEM Education Research (Application review has begun)
- Until filled – Purdue University: Assistant/Associate Professor in Early Childhood Education, Development and Learning (Application review began December 10, 2020)
- Until filled – Purdue University: Postdoc Research Associate (Application review began January 15, 2021)
- Until filled – University at Buffalo: Postdoctoral Associate
- Until filled – University of Colorado Boulder: Postdoc Educational Equity and Critical Technology AI Institute (Application review began February 8, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Florida: Advanced Learning Technologies Assistant Professor
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Ed Coordinator
- Until filled – Utah State University: Assistant or Associate Professor in Instructional Technology and Learning Science
- Until filled – World Bank Group: Short-Term Consultant for Technology for Teachers (T4T)
For job, funding, and capacity-building opportunities for doctoral students, postdocs, and other early career scholars, visit our Early Career News & Opportunities page.
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.
Subscribe | Create CADRE Account