We’re excited to announce upcoming CADRE events. We launch our first Learning Series next month. The series will give our community the opportunity to learn together about professional development (PD) design—first during a webinar, followed by individual consultations, and ending with a discussion of case studies. Along with our newly updated Spotlight on Culturally Responsive STEM Education, we’re also happy to showcase the research of DRK-12 projects focused on Culturally Responsive Science Instruction in an upcoming webinar.
The Board of Science Education (BSE) has released the report The State of U.S. Science and Engineering 2022. The executive summary confirms that “inequality persists in K–12 educational outcomes by race or ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and U.S. region.” During Black History Month and beyond, we want to recognize the advances made by DRK-12 researchers and their research that leverage assets and address inequities. And congratulations to the newest recipients of the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) and Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM) who are on the ground helping to improve STEM education.
Spotlight on Culturally Responsive STEM Education
This month's Spotlight highlights DRK-12 work to make STEM education culturally relevant and responsive. In addition to describing their work, project teams share culturally responsive instruments as well as recommended readings. To continue the conversation, join members of four projects to discuss culturally responsive science instruction in an upcoming webinar.
- Featured Projects
- Advancing Equity and Strengthening Teaching with Elementary Mathematical Modeling (PIs: Julia Aguirre, Mary Carlson, Jennifer Suh, Erin Turner)
- Bridging Science Teaching and Learning in Title 1 Schools (PI: Brian Williams)
- CAREER: Cultivating Teachers' Epistemic Empathy to Promote Responsive Teaching (PI: Lama Jaber)
- Development and Empirical Recovery for a Learning Progression-Based Assessment of the Function Concept and Investigating the Role of Collaboration on the Development of Student Ideas using a Learning Progression for the Function Concept (PI: Edith Graf)
- Ed+gineering: An Interdisciplinary Partnership Integrating Engineering into Elementary Teacher Preparation Programs (PI: Jennifer Kidd)
- Professional Development for Teaching and Learning about Energy and Equity in High School Physics (PIs: Bruce Mason and Rachel Scherr)
- Responsive Instruction for Emergent Bilingual Learners in Biology Classrooms (PI: Julie Brown)
- Strengthening STEM Teaching in Native American Serving Schools through Long-Term, Culturally Responsive Professional Development (PI: Angelina Castagno)
- Supporting Students' Language, Knowledge and Culture through Science (PI: Cory Buxton)
- Transforming Scientific Practices to Promote Students Interest and Motivation in the Life Sciences: A Teacher Leadership Development Intervention (PI: Pauline W. U. Chinn)
- Additional DRK-12 Projects
- Related Resources
Upcoming Webinar: Culturally Responsive Science Instruction
April 4, 12 PM ET | REGISTER
Panelists: Julie Brown, Angelina Castagno, Pradeep Dass, Shannon Davidson, Lama Jaber, Darold Harmon Joseph, Kristina Anna Kramarczuk, Diane Jass Ketelhut, and Allison Metcalf.
Researchers describe frameworks for equitable and responsive science teaching, models for developing responsive teaching practices, and tools for examining those practices.
CADRE Learning Series: Professional Development for Researchers Who Don't Study PD
CADRE is excited to launch our first learning series titled Professional Development for Researchers Who Don't Study PD.
This series is for researchers developing a PD component for a DRK-12 project or proposal that is not the primary focus of the work nor your expertise.
In the first interactive webinar, our expert panelists will share important design principles for PD. After the webinar, participants will have an opportunity to consult with panelists about specific issues in their PD designs. In a follow-up webinar, panelists will share what they learned from their design consultations, including how they applied (or modified) the design principles to address the investigators’ needs and resources.
- Part 1: Webinar | March 22, 12:00-1:30 PM ET | REGISTER
- Part 2: Consultations | Dates/Times TBD
- Part 3: Webinar | Date/Time TBD
Project Tip: Planning for Better Collaboration
When multiple partners come together to work on a project, there are numerous challenges and opportunities. As researchers, we focus on what is going well or not with our interventions, but we often don’t pay the same attention to what is going well or not within and across our teams and collaborations. Especially in the case of complex, inter-institutional collaborations, we should plan beyond the nuts and bolts types of challenges and consider potential issues, such as differing assumptions or use of language. Not only do we need to reflect, assess, and address what is and is not working in the partnership, but we need to establish systems for iterative reflection during project planning to ensure our teams are as functional, efficient, and productive as possible. If you have a project evaluator, they may be able to help guide this process.
News from NSF
- If you missed NSF's recent webinar on current and pending support, a recording is now available.
- NSF seeks proposals to create an AISL Equity Resource Center (AISL-ERC) and hosted an informational webinar Feb 16. Additional Q&A sessions will be held in March and April before the May 10, 2022, proposal deadline.
News from NSF Networks
- CIRCLS has created a report that reflects on the CIRCLS '21 convening and its theme "from broadening to empowering."
- CIRCLS seeks participants for a “project incubator” on the topic of Artificial Intelligence and Literacy.
- EvaluATE's director, Lyssa Wilson Becho, wrote a blog post on Increasing Evaluation Transparency through Positionality Statements.
- NSF INCLUDES posted a new research brief titled Centering Inclusivity and Equity Within Family Engagement in STEM.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Awards & Recognition
- Hollylynne S. Lee is the recipient of the 2022 Robert Foster Cherry Award for Great Teaching.
- Laura Zangori’s DRK-12 project focused on energy literacy through place-based learning was featured in the Columbia Missourian.
- Robert Q. Berry, Nancy Jordan, Okhee Lee, and Uri Wilensky were among seventeen education scholars elected to membership in the National Academy of Education.
- A Call for Critical Bifocality: Research on Marginalization in Mathematics Education | Review of Educational Research
Authors: Grace A. Chen and Ilana S. Horn
- A Closer Look at Teachers’ Proportional Reasoning | International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
Authors: Yasemin Copur-Gencturk, Clare Baek, and Tenzin Doleck
- Advancing Critical and Culturally Relevant Experiential Learning: Preparing Future Educators in Collaboration with Cooperating Teachers to Support STEM Engagement in Urban Schools | The Urban Review
Authors: Brittany N. Anderson, Chonika Coleman-King, Kelly Wallace, and Frances K. Harper
- An Exploration of a Mathematics Teachers Concerns Enacting Project-based Instruction | Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching
Authors: Tod Shockey, Charlene Czerniak, Thehazhnan Ponnaiyan, Ahmad Javaid, and Jared Oluoch
- Assessment for English Learners | Science & Children
Authors: Lorena Llosa, Scott E. Grapin, and Alison Haas
- Authenticity of Elementary Teacher Designed and Implemented Mathematical Modeling Tasks | Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Authors: Erin E. Turner, Amy Been Bennett, Monica Granillo, Nishaan Ponnuru, Amy Roth Mcduffie, Mary Q. Foote, Julia M. Aguirre, and Elzena McVicar
- Critical Race Theory and STEM Education | Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Education
Author: Terrell R. Morton (CADRE co-PI and 2018 CADRE Postdoc)
- Elementary Preservice Teachers’ Perceptions of Assessment Tasks That Measure Content Knowledge for Teaching about Matter | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Dante Cisterna, Allison K. Bookbinder, Jamie N. Mikeska (2010-11 CADRE Fellow), and Heena R. Lakhani
- Empirical Re-conceptualization: From Empirical Generalizations to Insight and Understanding | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Amy Ellis, Elise Lockwood, and Aytug Ozaltun-Celik
- Four Years of Collaboration in a Professional Learning Community: Shifting Toward Supporting Students' Epistemic Practices | Science Education
Authors: Soo-Yean Shim and Jessica Thompson
- Fourth-Grade Students’ Sensemaking During Multi-step Problem Solving | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Gabriel Matney, Jonathan D. Bostic, Miranda Fox, Tiara Hicks, Toni May, and Greg Stone
- How the Data Got Their Dots | The Science Teacher
Authors: Lisa Hardy, Colin Dixon, Seth Van Doren, and Sherry Hsi
- Improving Science Achievement—Is It Possible? Evaluating the Efficacy of a High School Chemistry and Physics Project-based Learning Intervention | Educational Researcher
Authors: Barbara Schneider, Joseph Krajcik, Jari Lavonen, Katariina Salmela-Aro, Christopher Klager, Lydia Bradford, I-Chien Chen, Quinton Baker, Israel Touitou, Deborah Peek-Brown, Rachel Marias Dezendorf, Sarah Maestrales, and Kayla Bartz
- Increasing Multilingual Learners' Access in Mathematics | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Jonee Wilson (2013-14 CADRE Fellow) and Erin Smith
- Investigating Teachers’ Understanding Through Topic Modeling: A Promising Approach to Studying Teachers’ Knowledge | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Yasemin Copur-Gencturk, Hye-Jeong Choi, and Alan Cohen
- Learning Trajectories for Vertical Coherence | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Jere Confrey, Meetal Shah, and Alan Maloney
- Lifting Black Student Voices to Identify Teaching Practices That Discourage and Encourage STEM Engagement: Why #Black Teachers Matter | Urban Education
Authors: Anna Lee, Dawn X. Henderson, Maya Corneille, Terrell Morton (CADRE co-PI and 2018 CADRE Postdoc), Krishanna Prince, Steven Burnett, and Tracie Roberson
- Middle School Students’ Construction of Reciprocal Reasoning with Unknowns | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Amy J. Hackenberg and Serife Sevinc
- Newcomer Emergent Bilingual Students’ Meaning-Making in Urban Biology Classrooms: A Communities of Practice Perspective | Urban Education
Authors: Mark B. Pacheco and Julie C. Brown
- Nurturing Students Through Social Interactions | Phi Delta Kappan
Authors: Tiffini Pruitt-Britton, Anne Garrison Wilhelm, and Jonee Wilson (2013-14 CADRE Fellow)
- On Love, Becomings, and True Generosity for Science Education: Honoring Paulo Freire | Cultural Studies of Science Education
Authors: Alejandra Frausto Aceves, Betzabé Torres-Olave, and Sara Tolbert
- Pedagogical Chemistry Sensemaking: A Novel Conceptual Framework to Facilitate Pedagogical Sensemaking in Model-based Lesson Planning | Chemistry Education Research and Practice
Authors: Meng-Yang M. Wu (2022 CADRE Fellow) and Ellen J. Yezierski
- Reconceptualizing a Mathematical Domain on the Basis of Student Reasoning: Considering Teachers’ Perspectives about Integers | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Casey Hawthorne, Randolph A. Philipp, Lisa L. Lamb, Jessica P. Bishop, Ian Whitacre, and Bonnie P. Schappelle
- Researchers as Coaches: Developing Mathematics Teaching Capacity Using MEAs for STEM Integration | Investigations in Mathematics Learning
Authors: Courtney K. Baker, Terrie M. Galanti, Tammy Kraft, Nancy Holincheck, Margret Hjalmarson, and Jill K. Nelson
- Responsiveness to Students’ Mathematical Thinking in Middle-Grades Classrooms | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Jessica Pierson Bishop, Hamilton L. Hardison, and Julia Przybyla-Kuchek
- STEM as a Cover: Towards a Framework for Queer Emotions, Battle Fatigue, and STEM Identity | International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education
Authors: Mario I. Suárez, Andrea M. Hawkman, Colby Tofel-Grehl, Beth L. MacDonald, Kristin Searle, David F. Feldon, Taryn Sommers, and Michael Hernandez
- Taking a Critical Look at Adolescent Research on Black Girls and Women: A Systematic Review | Journal of Adolescent Research
Authors: Charlotte A. Agger, ReAnna S. Roby (2018 CADRE Postdoc), Korinthia D. Nicolai, Alison C. Koenka, and Monica L. Miles
- Teamwork Facilitation and Conflict Resolution Training in a HyFlex Course During the COVID‐19 Pandemic | Journal of Engineering Education
Authors: Alejandra J. Magana, Tugba Karabiyik, Paul Thomas, Aparajita Jaiswal, Viranga Perera, and James Dworkin
- The Cognitive and Affective Roles of Learning Assistants in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics College Classrooms: An Exploration of Classroom Experiences and Students' Metacognitive Awareness and Disciplinary Identity | Science Education
Authors: Hagit Kornreich-Leshem, Rocio Benabentos, Zahra Hazari, Geoff Potvin, and Laird Kramer
- The Content and the Conversation | Science Scope
Authors: Christina Morales, Megan Goss, April Holton, Eric Greenwald, and J. Bryan Henderson
- Transformative Experience in an Informal Science Learning Program about Climate Change | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Megan K. Littrell, Anne U. Gold, Kristin L. K. Koskey, Toni A. May, Erin Leckey, and Christine Okochi
- Using Teacher Dashboards to Assess Group Collaboration in Problem-based Learning | The Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-based Learning
Authors: Yuxin Chen, Cindy E. Hmelo-Silver, Susanne P. Lajoie, Juan Zheng, Lingyun Huang, and Stephen Bodnar
- Utilizing Technology to DiALoG Classroom Speaking and Listening | Science Scope
Authors: J. Bryan Henderson and Amy Lewis
Do you have news to share? Email email@example.com.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- March 1, 2022 – NSF | Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (STEM Ed PRF)
- March 22, 2022 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- March 29, 2022 (Extended) – NSF | EHR Core Research: Building Capacity in STEM Education Research
- April 1, 2022 – NSF | Tribal Colleges and Universities Program (TCUP) for Secondary and Elementary Teachers in STEM - Instructional Capacity Excellence in TCUP Institutions (ICE-TI) and Targeted STEM Infusion Projects (TSIP)
- April 28, 2022 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Preliminary Proposal)
- May 5, 2022 – NSF | Civic Innovation Challenge (CIVIC)
- May 10, 2022 – NSF | Advancing Informal STEM Learning Equity Resource Center
- July 25, 2022 – NSF | Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- July 28, 2022 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Letter of Intent)
For more NSF funding opportunities, see CADRE's list of Upcoming NSF DRL EHR Solicitation Deadlines.
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Exploring Mathematics
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Transitioning to a Postpandemic World
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher Educator | Perspectives on Practice
- February 25, 2022 – School Science and Mathematics | Supporting and Building More Equitable PK12 Pathway to STEM Skilled Technical Careers
- February 28, 2022 – Educational Technology & Society | Dynamic Accounts of Digital Divides: Longitudinal and Relational Insights into Unequal Learning Gains from Online and Blended Education
- February 28, 2022 – Journal of Science Education and Technology | Transforming Issues-based Science Education with Innovative Technologies
- February 28, 2022 – Sustainability | Educational Technologies
- March 15, 2022 – Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education | Decentring Research on Mathematics Teacher Education, or Deliberately Situating the Margins at the Centre (Extended Abstract Deadline)
- April 2022 – The Science Teacher | Special Issue on Infectious Disease
- April 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Energy
- April 1, 2022 – Science Scope | Integrating SEPs and CCCs
- April 1, 2022 – The Science Teacher | Alternative Assessments in the Science Classroom
- June 1, 2022 – Journal of Engineering Education | Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses in Engineering Education
- June 1, 2022 – Science & Children | NGSS 10 Years Later—Where Are We Now?
- June 1, 2022 – Science Scope | MS-LS2: Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
- June 1, 2022 – The Science Teacher | Social Justice and Culturally Relevant Pedagogy in the Science Classroom
- August 2022 – Journal of Chemical Education | Teaching Changes and Insights Gained in the Time after COVID-19
- August 1, 2022 – Science Scope | PS2: Matter and Its Interactions
- August 5, 2022 – Journal of Geoscience Education | The Effects of the COVID-19 Crisis on Geoscience Education: Insights, Problems, and Unanticipated Benefits
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- February 22, 2022 – 2022 EdMedia + Innovate Learning Summit (Call for Proposals)
- March 5, 2022 – 2022 SITE International Conference (Call for Proposals)
- March 18, 2022 – 2022 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research (Call for Abstracts)
- March 22, 2022 – 2022 NSTA Chicago National Conference (Call for Teacher Proposals)
- March 25, 2022 – 2022 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research (Call for Papers)
- March 27, 2022 – 2022 Connected Learning Summit (Call for Proposals)
- April 1, 2022 – 2022 NCTM Baltimore Regional Conference & Exposition (Call for Proposals)
- April 13, 2022 – 2022 ASEE Summer Virtual Workshops (Call for Proposals)
- April 21, 2022 – 2022 AAPT Summer Meeting (Call for Abstracts)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
Career & Professional Development
- March 31, 2022 – Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness:Call for Editors
- April 15, 2022 – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK–12: Call for Associate Editors
- Until filled – California State University, Long Beach: Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education (Application review began October 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis: Call for Editors (2023-2025)
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Educational Testing Service: Research Scientist - Fairness, Equity, Validity and Efficacy
- Until filled – Georgia State University: Assistant Professor of Elementary Mathematics Education (Application review began September 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Georgia State University, Department of Educational Policy Studies: Assistant Professor of Quantitative Research (Application review began September 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Hunter College - CUNY: Postdoctoral Fellow for NSF Project (Application review began January 3, 2022)
- Until filled – Indiana University: Assistant Professor of the Learning Sciences (Application review began November 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Muhlenberg College: Associate Professor & Education Department Chair (Application review began November 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Northwestern University: Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Science Education (Application review began January 3, 2022)
- Until filled – Review of Educational Research: Call for Editors (2022-2024)
- Until filled – Southern Methodist University: Education Policy and Leadership Associate/Full Professor (Application review began December 15, 2021)
- Until filled – The Education Trust: Director of P-12 Research
- Until filled – The University of Texas at Austin: Open Rank Professor of STEM Education (Application review began October 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of California, Santa Cruz: Assistant Professor of Early Literacy Education (Application review began November 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of California, Santa Cruz: Assistant Professor of Educational Policy Studies (Application review began October 15, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Delaware: Research Associate for NSF CS4All Project
- Until filled – University of Florida, Department of Natural History: Assistant/Associate Faculty for AI for Natural History and Biological Diversity at the Florida Museum (Application review begins March 15, 2022)
- Until filled – University of Maine: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Application review began April 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Education Coordinator
- Until filled – University of Pittsburgh: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor with Focus on Critical Disability Studies and Special Education
- Until filled – University of Pittsburgh: Associate or Full Professor of Black Radical Tradition in Urban Education (Application review began November 30, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Rochester: Postdoctoral Scholar for NSF-funded Project
- Until filled – University of Tennessee, Knoxville: Assistant Professor in Math Education (Application review began September 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Utah: Associate Professor of STEM Education (Application review began December 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Vanderbilt University: Postdoctoral Researcher for Early Math Education NSF Project (Application review began January 30, 2022)
- Until filled – Vanderbilt University: Postdoctoral Researcher for Math Education NSF Project (Application review began January 15, 2022)
For job, funding, and capacity-building opportunities for doctoral students, postdocs, and other early career scholars, visit our Early Career News & Opportunities page.
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
- Free unconference opportunity Feb 24-25: Open Scholarship Practices in Ed Research.
- Message from Mike Steele, NSF
- Spotlight on Motivation & Engagement in STEM Education
- Meet the 2022 CADRE Fellows!
- The Evidence Quality and Reach Hub (EQR)
- Project Tip: Disseminate Your Work Broadly Through the 2022 STEM For All Video Showcase
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.
Subscribe | Create CADRE Account