CADRE's Spotlight on modeling is the most visited page on the CADRE website. This month we have updated the feature to include modeling in mathematics, highlight new products, and share project findings, innovations, and challenges. In addition, Ryan Seth Jones discusses how the events of this year have underscored the importance of supporting cross-curricular coherence around ideas and practices such as modeling, inference, and uncertainty.
Meet the 2020-21 CADRE Fellows
- Amanda Armstrong, New Mexico State University (Nominating co-PI: Barbara Chamberlin)
- Coskun Erden, Iowa State University (Nominating PI: Ji Yeong I)
- Lindsey Hildebrand, Boston College (Nominating PI: Sara Cordes)
- Brittany Hinyard, Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College (Nominating PI: Nastassia Jones)
- Megan Humburg, Indiana University (Nominating PI: Joshua Danish)
- Stacy Jones, University of Texas at Austin (Nominating PI: Carlos Nicolas Gomez)
- Rachel Juergensen, University of Missouri-Columbia (Nominating PI: Laura Zangori)
- Amanda Lannan, University of Central Florida (Nominating co-PI: Lisa Dieker)
- Amanda Riske, Arizona State University (Nominating PI: Steven Zuiker)
- Darrius Robinson, University of Michigan (Nominating PI: Meghan Shaughnessy)
Project Tip: Research Instruments
If you’re looking for repositories of STEM education research instruments, try these curated by STELAR, CAISE, Horizon Research, and OERL. CADRE also has compendiums of teacher and student instruments.
News from NSF
- Consider signing up for the NSF grants and policy newsletter to keep abreast of news and events such as the upcoming NSF Grants Conference.
- NSF has launched the Research.gov proposal preparation demonstration site, offering proposers the opportunity to create proposals with the role of a PI prior to preparing and submitting proposals in the actual Research.gov system.
- NSF’s Science and Engineering State Profiles: Fall 2020 Update provides state-level rankings and totals of science and engineering data for the 50 states, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
- The agenda and newly released slides from EHR’s 2020 Advisory Committee Meeting focus on the NSF response to COVID-19, the Committee of Visitors report, and STEM education of the future.
- View presentation slides from the Electronic Research Administration Forum hosted by NSF. Topics included Research.gov proposal preparation and submission, upcoming features, migrating from FastLane to Research.gov, SciENcv capabilities, and more.
News from NSF Networks
- A recent EvaluATE blog shares Strategies for Communicating in Virtual Settings for online interviews and focus groups.
- Join a Q&A session with NSF program officers about the NSF INCLUDES Alliance Solicitation on December 9, 3-4 PM ET.
- CAISE is offering virtual office hours (November 24, December 9 and January 6) with NSF program officers on the AISL Solicitation.
- CIRCLS recently hosted a webinar on AI and the Future of Learning (Presenters: Marcelo Worsley, Sidney D'Mello, James Lester, and Janice Gobert). View the slides and recording from the webinar and read the related report.
- NSF INCLUDES is hosting a webinar December 3, 3-4 PM ET, on Embedding Sustainable Equity-Centered Practices for Broadening Participation in ST.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
- Adapting Science and Mathematics Instruction During the Coronavirus Pandemic | Electronic Journal for Research in Science & Mathematics Education
Authors: Jonathan Crocker, Sarah Quebec Fuentes, Mark A. Bloom
A Focus on Addition and Subtraction | Routledge (use code BSE20 for 20% discount)Authors: Caroline B. Ebby, Elizabeth T. Hulbert, and Rachel M. Broadhead
- An Emerging Community in Online Mathematics Teacher Professional Development: An Interactional Perspective | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Anthony Matranga and Jason Silverman
- Birds Near and Far: Students Investigate Local Environmental Phenomena on Campus and at a Local Pond | Science & Children
Authors: Erin Bridges Bird, Peggy Harte, and Heidi L. Ballard
- Changing the Field: A Bourdieusian Analysis of Educational Practices That Support Equitable Outcomes among Minoritized Youth on Two Informal Science Learning Programs | Science Education
Authors: Louise Archer, Spela Godec, Angela Calabrese Barton, Emily Dawson, Ada Mau, and Uma Patel
- Constructing Goals for Student Learning Through Conversation | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Jessica Hunt and Mary Kay Stein
- Electrifying: One Teacher’s Discursive and Instructional Changes Through Engagement in E-textiles to Teach Science Content | CITE Journal
Authors: Colby Tofel-Grehl, Eliza Jex, Kristin Searle, Douglas Ball, Xin Zhao, and Georgia Burnell
- Empirical Research on K-16 Climate Education: A Systematic Review of the Literature | Journal of Geoscience Education
Authors: Devarati Bhattacharya (2020 CADRE Postdoc), Kimberly Carroll Steward, and Cory T. Forbes
- Examining Variability in Elementary Science Teachers’ Pedagogical Content Knowledge About Phase Change: Implications for Teacher Development and Assessment | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Jamie N. Mikeska (2010-11 CADRE Fellow), Debra Brockway, Joseph Ciofalo, Hui Jin, and Suzanne Ritter
- Finding the Boundary of Kindergarteners’ Subtraction Understanding: Prospective Teachers’ Problem Development and Questioning | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Lizhen Chen, Murat Akarsu, and Laura Bofferding
- Looking for Zebras: Unexpected Solutions to Pattern Tasks | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Elizabeth Fleming and Dana L. Grosser‐Clarkson (2015-16 CADRE Fellow)
- Making Everyday Phenomena Phenomenal: Using Phenomena to Promote Equity in Science Instruction | Science & Children
Author: Okhee Lee
- Productive Technology Use in Mathematics Explorations | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Thomas D. Coleman and Janet D. K. Walkoe
- Redesign or Relabel? How a Commercial Curriculum and Its Implementation Oversimplify Key Features of the NGSS | Science Education
Authors: Benjamin R. Lowell, Kevin Cherbow, and Katherine L. McNeill
- Student-Driven Stewardship Projects: Using Environmental Education to Promote the Use of Science Practices | Science & Children
Authors: Deborah Tucker, Bill Andrews, and Kathryn Hayes
- Subject Matter Knowledge of Geometry Needed in Tasks of Teaching: Relationship to Prior Geometry Teaching Experience | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Inah Ko and Patricio Herbst
- Transferability of Teacher Noticing | ZDM
Author: Shari L. Stockero
- What Does It Mean to Be a Research Journal Editor? | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Author: Jinfa Cai
- What Science and STEM Teachers Can Learn from COVID-19: Harnessing Data Science and Computer Science Through the Convergence of Multiple STEM Subjects | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Okhee Lee and Todd Campbell
- December 4 – NSF | Centers of Research Excellence in Science and Technology (CREST)
- December 4 – NSF | HBCU Research Infrastructure for Science and Engineering (HBCU-RISE) (Letter of Intent)
- December 10 – IWGYP | Children of Incarcerated Parents Youth Participatory Action Research
- December 18 – NSF | EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Program: Track-2 Focused EPSCoR Collaborations (RII Track-2 FEC) (Letter of Intent)
- January 12 – NSF | Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL)
- January 25 – NSF | EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Program: Track-2 Focused EPSCoR Collaborations (RII Track-2 FEC) (Full Proposal)
- January 26 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoveries in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
- February 1 – NSF | Growing Convergence Research (GCR)
- February 4 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Catalyst Full Proposal)
- February 10 – NSF | Computer Science for All (CSforAll: Research and RPPs)
- February 26 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR): Building Capacity in STEM Education Research (ECR: BCSER)
- March 10 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Preliminary Proposal)
- April 13 – NSF | EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Track 4: EPSCoR Research Fellows (RII Track-4)
- April 22 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Preliminary Proposal)
- November 30 – Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education | Learning from Less Successful Professional Development for Mathematics Teachers (Call for Extended Abstracts)
- December 1 – Educational Leadership | From Research to Practice
- December 1 – Journal of Engineering Education | Effects on the Engineering Education Community of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- December 1 – Science & Children | Three-Dimensional Teaching and Learning
- December 1 – Science Scope | Visual Literacy
- December 1 – The Science Teacher | Data and Media Literacy
- December 1 – Teachers College Record | Progressive Neoliberalism and Schooling (Call for Book Chapters)
- January 1 – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Special Issue on Digital Equity and the Digital Divide
- January 10 – The Journal of Environmental Education | Revisiting Justice in Environmental and Sustainability Education: What Pandemics (Can) Reveal about the Politics of Global Environmental Issues (Call for Abstracts)
- January 15 – Connected Science Learning | Science Communication
- February 1 – Science & Children | The Language of Science
- February 1 – Science Scope | Creativity in the Science Classroom
- February 1 – The Science Teacher | COVID-19 – One Year Later
- February 28 – Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications | Restarting the New Normal
- April 1 – Science & Children | Design Thinking
- April 1 – Science Scope | Professional Development
- April 1 – The Science Teacher | Social Justice in the Science Classroom
- April 30 – Science & Education | Why Trust Science and Science Education?
- November 30 – 2021 CSEDU International Conferences (Call for Papers)
- Until filled – Edfinity: Postdoctoral Position
- Until filled – Purdue University: Postdoc Research Associate (Review begins January 15)
- Until filled – University of Florida: Advanced Learning Technologies Assistant Professor
- Until filled – Utah State University: Assistant or Associate Professor in Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: