DRK-12 Research and Products
- Tool | It seems like there are new tech and social media tools coming out every day. So what’s out there? And how can these tools be used to enhance your work?
Developing a Three-Dimensional View of Science Teaching: A Tool to Support Preservice Teacher DiscoursePublication | This study utilized the methodology of Improvement Science “Plan, Do Study, Act” cycles in order to design a Three-Dimensional Mapping Tool (3D Map) as a visual scaffold for use in science teaching methods courses to support preservice teachers in unpacking the components...
Understanding Science and Language Connections: New Approaches to Assessment with Bilingual LearnersPublication | Authors report on the use of bilingual constructed response science assessments in the context of a research and development partnership with secondary school science teachers.
- Presentation | NSF program directors provide information on the DRK-12 program and solicitation in this webinar.
- Publication | Use these ideas to diagnose and address common conceptual obstacles that inhibit students’ success.
- Publication | Authors investigate in-service teachers’ scientific engagement in a blended online science inquiry course. A key implication of this study is the importance of instructional attention to epistemology and affect to create online learning environments that promote productive...
Qualitative graphing in an authentic inquiry context: How construction and critique help middle school students to reason about cancerPublication | This study offers a critical exploration of how to design instruction that simultaneously supports students' science and graph understanding within complex inquiry contexts.
- Tool | This list of individuals and organizations providing evaluation services to DRK-12 projects is based on data entered by project members on the cadrek12.org site.
Automated text scoring and real‐time adjustable feedback: Supporting revision of scientific arguments involving uncertaintyPublication | This paper describes HASbot, an automated text scoring and real‐time feedback system designed to support student revision of scientific arguments.
From Pilots to Products: Notes from a Gathering of Researchers and Developers at the 2018 DRK-12 PI MeetingTool | This document captures the ideas and experiences shared by DRK–12 awardees who attended a forum to explore different routes toward product sustainability. It includes notes on types of DRK-12 products, use and adoption of products, resources needed to support dissemination...
Epistemological framing and novice elementary teachers' approaches to learning and teaching engineering designPublication | In this article, authors present a comparative case study examining the epistemological framing dynamics of two novice urban teachers and argue that the stances that novice teachers adopt toward engineering learning and knowledge are consequential for the opportunities...
- Publication | In this article, authors argue for deliberate attention to clarifiable ambiguity as a critical aspect of attending to meaning and as a necessary precursor to productive use of student mathematical thinking.
- Publication | In this article, it is argued that the construct of rightful presence, and the coconstructed “making present” practices that give rise to moments of rightful presence, is 1 way to consider how to make sense of the historicized and relational nature of consequential learning.
- Tool | This lesson plan template centers the importance of including Elders and Environment in Indigenous STEM teaching and learning, and is a way for teachers to weave Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) and Western Science into lessons.
- Tool | Sortable Excel lists of DRK-12 recent publications, upcoming presentations, and project websites for 2018-19.