DRK-12 Research and Products
An Examination of Credit Recovery Students’ Use of Computer-Based Scaffolding in a Problem-Based, Scientific Inquiry UnitPublication | In this study, we investigated how high school credit recovery students worked in small groups and used computer-based scaffolds to conduct scientific inquiry in a problem-based learning unit centered on water quality.
- Publication | This study uses a mixed-method sequential exploratory design to examine influences on urban adolescents’ engagement and disengagement in school.
Validating a Model for Assessing Science Teacher’s Adaptive Expertise with Computer-Supported Complex Systems Curricula and Its Relationship to Student Learning OutcomesPublication | In this study, the authors propose and validate a model of adaptive expertise needed for teachers to successfully deliver NGSS-informed computer-supported complex systems curricula in high school science classrooms.
- Publication | Linear Algebra and Geometry is aimed at preservice and practicing high school mathematics teachers and advanced high school students looking for an addition to or replacement for calculus. The materials are organized around carefully sequenced problems that help students...
- Publication | In this Journal of Science Teacher Education article, Jarod Kawasaki and William Sandoval report on one teachers’ efforts to re-design an entire instructional unit as a coherent storyline about forces and motion as a part of a multiyear professional development project...
Developing a Three-Dimensional View of Science Teaching: A Tool to Support Preservice Teacher DiscoursePublication | This study utilized the methodology of Improvement Science “Plan, Do Study, Act” cycles in order to design a Three-Dimensional Mapping Tool (3D Map) as a visual scaffold for use in science teaching methods courses to support preservice teachers in unpacking the components...
- Publication | Use these ideas to diagnose and address common conceptual obstacles that inhibit students’ success.
Understanding Science and Language Connections: New Approaches to Assessment with Bilingual LearnersPublication | Authors report on the use of bilingual constructed response science assessments in the context of a research and development partnership with secondary school science teachers.
- Presentation | NSF program directors provide information on the DRK-12 program and solicitation in this webinar.
- Publication | Authors investigate in-service teachers’ scientific engagement in a blended online science inquiry course. A key implication of this study is the importance of instructional attention to epistemology and affect to create online learning environments that promote productive...
Automated text scoring and real‐time adjustable feedback: Supporting revision of scientific arguments involving uncertaintyPublication | This paper describes HASbot, an automated text scoring and real‐time feedback system designed to support student revision of scientific arguments.
Qualitative graphing in an authentic inquiry context: How construction and critique help middle school students to reason about cancerPublication | This study offers a critical exploration of how to design instruction that simultaneously supports students' science and graph understanding within complex inquiry contexts.
- Tool | This list of individuals and organizations providing evaluation services to DRK-12 projects is based on data entered by project members on the cadrek12.org site.
From Pilots to Products: Notes from a Gathering of Researchers and Developers at the 2018 DRK-12 PI MeetingTool | This document captures the ideas and experiences shared by DRK–12 awardees who attended a forum to explore different routes toward product sustainability. It includes notes on types of DRK-12 products, use and adoption of products, resources needed to support dissemination...
- Publication | In this article, it is argued that the construct of rightful presence, and the coconstructed “making present” practices that give rise to moments of rightful presence, is 1 way to consider how to make sense of the historicized and relational nature of consequential learning.