DRK-12 Research and Products
Developing a Three-Dimensional View of Science Teaching: A Tool to Support Preservice Teacher DiscoursePublication | This study utilized the methodology of Improvement Science “Plan, Do Study, Act” cycles in order to design a Three-Dimensional Mapping Tool (3D Map) as a visual scaffold for use in science teaching methods courses to support preservice teachers in unpacking the components...
- Publication | Use these ideas to diagnose and address common conceptual obstacles that inhibit students’ success.
Understanding Science and Language Connections: New Approaches to Assessment with Bilingual LearnersPublication | Authors report on the use of bilingual constructed response science assessments in the context of a research and development partnership with secondary school science teachers.
- Presentation | NSF program directors provide information on the DRK-12 program and solicitation in this webinar.
- Publication | Authors investigate in-service teachers’ scientific engagement in a blended online science inquiry course. A key implication of this study is the importance of instructional attention to epistemology and affect to create online learning environments that promote productive...
Automated text scoring and real‐time adjustable feedback: Supporting revision of scientific arguments involving uncertaintyPublication | This paper describes HASbot, an automated text scoring and real‐time feedback system designed to support student revision of scientific arguments.
Qualitative graphing in an authentic inquiry context: How construction and critique help middle school students to reason about cancerPublication | This study offers a critical exploration of how to design instruction that simultaneously supports students' science and graph understanding within complex inquiry contexts.
- Tool | This list of individuals and organizations providing evaluation services to DRK-12 projects is based on data entered by project members on the cadrek12.org site.
From Pilots to Products: Notes from a Gathering of Researchers and Developers at the 2018 DRK-12 PI MeetingTool | This document captures the ideas and experiences shared by DRK–12 awardees who attended a forum to explore different routes toward product sustainability. It includes notes on types of DRK-12 products, use and adoption of products, resources needed to support dissemination...
- Publication | In this article, it is argued that the construct of rightful presence, and the coconstructed “making present” practices that give rise to moments of rightful presence, is 1 way to consider how to make sense of the historicized and relational nature of consequential learning.
Epistemological framing and novice elementary teachers' approaches to learning and teaching engineering designPublication | In this article, authors present a comparative case study examining the epistemological framing dynamics of two novice urban teachers and argue that the stances that novice teachers adopt toward engineering learning and knowledge are consequential for the opportunities...
- Publication | In this article, authors argue for deliberate attention to clarifiable ambiguity as a critical aspect of attending to meaning and as a necessary precursor to productive use of student mathematical thinking.
- Tool | This document features issues and approaches that were discussed by a “critical friends group” in the process of providing input to a DRK-12 project on dissemination strategies. While not comprehensive, the considerations listed may serve as a reminder of what to think...
Engineering for sustainable communities: Epistemic tools in support of equitable and consequential middle school engineeringPublication | This study is focused on engineering for sustainable communities (EfSC) in three middle school classrooms.
- Presentation | These slides were presented at the 2019 Annual International Conference of NARST in Baltimore, MD.