DRK-12 Research and Products
- Presentation | The Problem: How can we support teachers in using local and regional geology to teach Earth science in an inquiry-based way? In 2006, 24% of Earth science teachers were not Earth science certified (CCSSO, 2007) and many do not know regional geology. Is it reasonable to...
Planning Evaluations for DRK-12 Design Projects: An Evaluative Framework Using Evidence-Centered Design (Large-Scale Assessment Technical Report 5)Publication | Evaluation work is presented and discussed in terms of evaluative requirements from the National Science Foundation, and in terms of five fundamental issues that undergird practical program evaluation: social programming, knowledge construction, valuing, knowledge use, and...
- Presentation | Poster presented at the DRK-12 Principal Investigators Meeting in Washington, DC.
Change Thinking for Global Science: Fostering and Evaluating Inquiry Thinking About the Ecological Impacts of Climate ChangePresentation
A Longitudinal Analysis of Unit Iteration Concepts for Length, Area, and Volume (Grades 2-4) (Barrett et al.)Presentation
- Publication | The first print edition from summer 2009 of the student science news publication, in pdf format.
Using Teaching Routines with Classroom Network Technology to Support Improved Classroom Assessment (Penuel, Schank)Presentation | This interactive workshop introduces participants to teaching routines for use with a classroom network technology called Group Scribbles, which supports teachers’ invention of classroom assessment activities in Earth science.
- Presentation | The Chemistry Education Research Doctoral Scholars Program aims to recruit, train and graduate a diverse group of scholars in chemistry education research (CER) who specialize in assessment; design coursework, K-12 partnerships, research experiences, and mentoring to...
A Successful Professional Development Model for Preparing Teachers to use Reform-Based Curriculum Effectively (Sutherland, Krajcik)Presentation | In this session, participants experience a PD model that successfully encourages teachers to adopt a curriculum’s underlying philosophy rather than simply to enact it as sequence of activities.
- Presentation | The Role of the Institutional Setting in Teachers’ Development of Ambitious Instruction in Middle School Mathematics Kara Jackson, Paul Cobb, and Kristin McGraner, Vanderbilt University Three DR-K12 projects report findings on aspects of the institutional setting of...
- Presentation | Professional development environments that include digital video allow for the examination of children at work, opportunities to look at students over time, and analysis of the teacher’s decision making. This observation begs the question of how best to shape mathematics...
- Publication | The second print issue from summer 2009 of the student science news publication, in pdf format.
Plenary Presentation: The Opportunity Equation: Transforming Mathematics and Science Education for Citizenship and the Global Economy (Cahill)Presentation | Cahill discusses the Carnegie-Institute for Advanced Study Commission on Mathematics and Science Education’s recent report in which they challenge the nation to mobilize for coordinated action so that all students—not just a select few, or those fortunate enough to attend...