DRK-12 Research and Products
Plenary Presentation: The Opportunity Equation: Transforming Mathematics and Science Education for Citizenship and the Global Economy (Cahill)Presentation | Cahill discusses the Carnegie-Institute for Advanced Study Commission on Mathematics and Science Education’s recent report in which they challenge the nation to mobilize for coordinated action so that all students—not just a select few, or those fortunate enough to attend...
- Presentation | Professional development environments that include digital video allow for the examination of children at work, opportunities to look at students over time, and analysis of the teacher’s decision making. This observation begs the question of how best to shape mathematics...
The Role of the Institutional Setting in Teachers’ Development of Ambitious Instructional Practices in Middle-Grades Mathematics (Jackson, Cobb, McGraner)Presentation | Three DR-K12 projects report findings on aspects of the institutional setting of teaching that affects teachers’ development of ambitious instructional practices in middle-school mathematics.
- Publication | The third print edition from summer 2009 of the student science news publication, in pdf format.
- Presentation | Join the panelists from the plenary presentation to continue conversations about common standards in each of the STEM disciplines.
- Presentation | NCLB defines success exclusively as test scores, fostering strategies that compromise substantive learning. This session focuses on conceptual and theoretical frameworks for exploring this issue.
Developing Algebra-ready students for Middle School: Exploring the Impact of Early Algebra (Blanton, Knuth)Presentation | This is a 3-year project designed to build the preliminary components for investigating the impacts of early algebra education on students’ algebra readiness in middle grades.
- Presentation | In this session, the presenters discuss findings and experiences regarding technology-embedded assessment and how to support teachers in using it effectively.
- Publication | The fourth print edition from summer 2009 of our science news publication, in pdf format. The articles in this edition, unlike the others, are written by high school teachers who participated in our summer PD.
- Presentation | This session presents an instrument for measuring preservice elementary teachers’ application of instructional planning practices and discusses the relationship between these practices and teachers’ knowledge.
- Publication | The first print edition from academic year 2010-11 of our student written science news publication, in pdf format. This is meant to be printed on large format paper, and folded, but it can be viewed online.
Analysis of Children’s Mechanistic Reasoning about Linkages and Levers in the Context of Engineering Design (Benenson, Bolger, Kobiela)Presentation | Following a hands-on experience in mechanism design, participants discuss the knowledge of content, pedagogy, and student thinking needed to support similar experiences for children.