- Connecting Formal and Informal STEM Learning: A Conversation with Dr. Rabiah Mayas and Dennis Schatz | Video
- Featured Projects
- An Integrated Approach to Early Elementary Earth and Space Science (PI: Linda Shore)
- LabVenture - Revealing Systemic Impacts of a 12-Year Statewide Science Field Trip Program (PI: Leigh Peake)
- Networking Urban Resources with Teachers and University to enRich Early Childhood Science (NURTURES) Phase II: Expansion and Evaluation (PI: Charlene Czerniak)
- Moving Next Generation Science Standards into Practice: A Middle School Ecology Unit and Teacher Professional Development Model (PI: Karen Hammerness)
- Schoolyard Science Investigations by Teachers, Extension Volunteers and Students (Schoolyard SITES) (PI: Lara Gengarelly)
- Additional Projects
NSF Grants Management: Office Hours with DRK-12 Program Officers
February 24 | 1-2 PM ET
March 4 | 2-3 PM ET
Project Tip: Project Problems and Delays
“No project is a perfect project. Life happens after you hit that submit button and you send your proposal off.” – Julie Johnson, NSF PO
NSF expects this. Tell your program officer about problems or delays as the issue comes up and be sure to include information about project changes in your annual report. More tips on managing your project can be found in our last grants management webinar.
News from NSF
- NSF has released its Merit Review Process Fiscal Year 2019 Digest.
- NSF invites feedback on the vision, core values, strategic goals, and strategic objectives described in the current NSF Strategic Plan by February 10, 2021.
- NSF is offering a listening session on the potential of online learning environments on January 29 from 11 AM-2 PM ET.
- Reminder: The deadline to comment on the draft of the Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 22-1) is February 12, 2021.
News from NSF Networks
- 2019-20 CADRE Fellow Ti'Era Worsley wrote a blog for CAISE called Black Love: Learning to Teach from Within.
- CAISE has added new resources to their Anti-Racism Resource Roundup, including a new NASEM report, The Impacts of Racism and Bias on Black People Pursuing Careers in Science, Engineering, and Medicine.
- CIRCLS is offering three expertise exchange opportunities: AI and Education Policy, Emerging Scholar CIRCLS, and Educator CIRCLS.
- Read the new EvaluATE blog post: Creating an Evaluation Design That Allows for Flexibility.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Awards & Recognition
- Felicia Moore Mensah and Troy D. Sadler are the new co-editors of the Journal of Journal of Research in Science Teaching (JRST) and share their vision for the journal.
- Terrell Morton (2018 CADRE Postdoc), ReAnna S. Roby (2018 CADRE Postdoc), and Jakita O. Thomas were recently featured on Cell Mentor Community of Scholar's list of 1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America.
- William Penuel was named Distinguished Professor, the highest honor for faculty bestowed by the University of Colorado.
Podcasts & Webinars
- Addressing Climate Change in School and Community: Learning, Discussing, Doing | STEM For All Multiplex
Speakers: Brian Drayton (moderator), Gilly Puttick, Trevor Lloyd-Evans, and Leigh Peake
- STEM Education 101: Major Policy Issues for the 117th Congress | STEM Education Coalition | February 3, 2PM ET
Speakers: James Brown (moderator), Kevin Anderson, David Stroupe, Marie Sylla-Dixon, and Laveta Willis-Hale
- What It Means to Learn Science | Harvard EdCast
Speakers: Carrie Tzou and Megan Bang
- AIM-TRU’s professional development mathematics education resources (grades: 6-12) were recently updated for remote learning.
- 11 Tips for Teaching Preschool Online | Edutopia
Author: Jessica Young
- Balancing Individual and Collective Agency in Informal STEM Learning Experiences | Connected Science Learning
Authors: David Schouweiler and Sara C. Heredia
- Cultivating Interest and Competencies in Computing: Authentic Experiences and Design Factors | The National Academies Press
Authors: Barbara Means, Karen Brennan, Stephanie Chang, Shaundra B. Daily, Cheri Francsali, Juan E. Gilbert, Joanna Goode, Mark Guzdial, Mizuko Ito, Leah H. Jamieson, Eric Klopfer, Victor R. Lee, Irene Lee, Rebecca A. Maynard, Daniel A. Rabuzzi, and Mega Subramaniam
- Data Investigations to Further Social Justice Inside and Outside of STEM | Connected Science Learning
Authors: Josephine Louie, Jennifer Stiles, Emily Fagan, Soma Roy, and Beth Chance
- Designing and Using Digital Platforms for 21st Century Learning | Educational Technology Research and Development
Author: Ellen B. Meier
- Distance Learning and Parental Mental Health During COVID-19 | Educational Researcher
Authors: Cassandra R. Davis, Jevay Grooms, Alberto Ortega, Joaquin Alfredo-Angel Rubalcaba, and Edward Vargas
- High School Calculus and Computer Science Course Taking as Predictors of Success in Introductory College Computer Science | ACM Transactions on Computing Education
Authors: Chen Chen, Jane M. Kang, Gerhard Sonnert, and Philip M. Sadler
- Machine Learning-Enabled Automated Feedback: Supporting Students’ Revision of Scientific Arguments Based on Data Drawn from Simulation | Journal of Science Education and Technology
Authors: Hee-Sun Lee, Gey-Hong Gweon, Trudi Lord, Noah Paessel, Amy Pallant, and Sarah Pryputniewicz
- Mathematics Teacher Educator Noticing: Examining Interpretations and Evidence of Students’ Thinking | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Author: Julie M. Amador
- One Task, Multiple Proportional Reasoning Strategies | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Aaron Brakoniecki, Julie M. Amador, and David M. Glassmeyer
- Shifts in Elementary Teachers' Pedagogical Reasoning: Studying Teacher Learning in an Online Graduate Program in Engineering Education | Journal of Engineering Education
Authors: Jessica Watkins, Merredith Portsmore, and Rebecca D. Swanson
- Students and Teachers Mobilizing Mathematical Concepts Through Reciprocal Noticing | ZDM – Mathematics Education
Author: Higinio Dominguez
- The Critical Role of Science Teaching and Learning during COVID-19: How Teacher Educators Can Support Science Teachers Learning and Preparation in These Times | The Blog of Harvard Education Publishing
Authors: Karen Hammerness, David Stroupe, and Scott McDonald
- The Use of Engineering Model‐Building Activities to Elicit Computational Thinking: A Design‐based Research Study | Journal of Engineering Education
Authors: Joseph A. Lyon and Alejandra J. Magana
- Toward New Visions of Teacher Education: Addressing the Challenges of Program Coherence | Journal of Teacher Education
Authors: Robert E. Floden, Dorinda J. Carter Andrews, Nathan D. Jones, Joanne Marciano, and Gail Richmond
- Using Authentic Video Clips of Classroom Instruction to Capture Teachers’ Moment-to-Moment Perceiving as Knowledge-Filtered Noticing | ZDM – Mathematics Education
Authors: Nicole B. Kersting, James E. Smith (2019-20 CADRE Fellow), and Beau Vezino
- February 1, 2021 – NSF | Growing Convergence Research (GCR)
- February 4, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Catalyst Full Proposal)
- February 10, 2021 – NSF | Computer Science for All (CSforAll: Research and RPPs)
- February 25, 2021 – IES | Research Networks Focused on Critical Problems of Education Policy and Practice
- February 25, 2021 – IES | Transformative Research in the Education Sciences Grants Program
- February 26, 2021 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR): Building Capacity in STEM Education Research (ECR: BCSER)
- March 10, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Preliminary Proposal)
- April 13, 2021 – NSF | EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement Track 4: EPSCoR Research Fellows (RII Track-4)
- April 22, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Preliminary Proposal)
- June 9, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Full Proposal)
- February 1, 2021 – Science & Children | The Language of Science
- February 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Creativity in the Science Classroom
- February 1, 2021 – The Science Teacher | COVID-19 – One Year Later
- February 15, 2021 – International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education | Reading in Science and Mathematics Education (Call for Abstracts)
- February 28, 2021 – Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications | Restarting the New Normal
- March 1, 2021 (Extended) – Journal of Engineering Education | Effects on the Engineering Education Community of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- March 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Innovative Lesson Planning
- April 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Education’s New Era
- April 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Design Thinking
- April 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Professional Development
- April 1, 2021 – The Science Teacher | Social Justice in the Science Classroom
- April 12, 2021 - Journal of Chemical Education | Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Respect in Chemistry Education Research and Practice
- April 30, 2021 – Advanced Engineering Informatics | Emerging Learning Technologies for Future of Work and Education in Engineering
- April 30, 2021 – Science & Education | Why Trust Science and Science Education?
- June 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Cultivating Educator Efficacy
- June 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Water in Our World
- June 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Science Teaching Challenges
- June 1, 2021 – The Science Teacher | Culturally Relevant Science Pedagogy
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Technology & Society | Learning at the Intersection of Data Literacy and Social Justice
- March 1, 2021 – 2021 NCTM Regional Conferences & Expositions (Call for Proposals)
- March 12, 2021 – 43rd Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Call for Proposals)
Career & Professional Development
- March 1, 2021 – Review of Research in Education: Call for Editors
- March 29, 2021 – Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR): Scholarship for Education Research
- April 15, 2021 – NSF Quantitative Research Methods for STEM Education Scholars Program
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review begins February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – NSF Methods Training Institute for STEM Education Research
- Until filled – Purdue University: Assistant/Associate Professor in Early Childhood Education, Development and Learning
- Until filled – Purdue University: Postdoc Research Associate
- Until filled – Rutgers University: Postdoctoral Fellow Position: Community-Based Consequential Learning in Middle School Biology
- Until filled – University at Buffalo: Postdoctoral Associate
- Until filled – University of Florida: Advanced Learning Technologies Assistant Professor
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Ed Coordinator
- Until filled – Utah State University: Assistant or Associate Professor in Instructional Technology and Learning Science
- Until filled – World Bank Group: Short-Term Consultant for Technology for Teachers (T4T)
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: