This month, we are preparing to launch a new iteration of CADRE. Meet our team and learn more about our new initiatives. We are also revising some of our existing programs, such as our CADRE Fellows and Postdocs programs, which will start in January 2022. View the list of 2020-21 DRK-12 awards, updated with several recently granted DRK-12 projects. Browse the many products that DRK-12 projects have designed and developed for educators in our DRK-12 resource library and in a new collection that we are promoting via our STEM Smart newsletter. Please help us share these products broadly. We are also continuing to highlight resources from the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting. Read more below.
The Biden administration released its first R&D priorities memorandum. Research supporting equity is one of the priorities and continues to be an NSF priority. Some of NSF’s approaches to supporting diversity and inclusion in STEM education and research are outlined in the recently released report from the National Science and Technology Council. One example is a new NSF Dear Colleague letter to support students, postdoctoral scholars, faculty, and staff with disabilities. New proposals or supplemental funding requests to existing awards may also request support for the inclusion of persons with disabilities as participants. And in honor of Hispanic heritage month, we are highlighting these DRK-12 projects: Understanding Latinx Students' Stories of Doing and Learning Mathematics and A Research-Practice Partnership for Developing Computational Thinking Through Linguistically and Culturally Relevant CS Curriculum in Middle School.
The CADRE Team
CADRE, Better Than Ever!
We’ve been funded to continue serving the DRK-12 community. Meet our new partners and read about our plans!
From the left, the Leadership Team: Catherine McCulloch, PI, senior project director at EDC; Amy Busey, Co-PI, senior research associate, EDC; Dr. Christopher Harris, Co-PI, director of science and engineering education research, WestEd; Dr. Terrell Morton, Co-PI, assistant professor of identity and justice in STEM+C education, the University of Missouri; Dr. Eric Wiebe, Co-PI, professor of STEM education, North Carolina State University; Dr. Ilana Horn, senior staff, professor of math education, at Vanderbilt University; Dr. Alina Martinez, senior staff, director of STEM research, Mathematica; Additional Staff: Leana Nordstrom, project manager, EDC; Jennifer Stiles, research associate, EDC
Addressing our commitment to support diversity, equity, and inclusion within the DRK-12 program, we’re excited to make new connections to expertise within groups less well represented in the current DRK-12 awardee cohort through a Community Partners program, further innovate our early career programs to address the needs of scholars, and expand our outreach to prospective awardees. To help advance DRK-12 research and build capacity within the program, we are launching a new learning series, in addition to continuing PI meetings and facilitating mentoring within the DRK-12 community. And to disseminate and promote the work of DRK-12 researchers, we’ll convene communities of practice to develop topical syntheses, identify core components of DRK-12 interventions, and analyze the impacts of DRK-12 research and products. We hope that you’ll join us in these activities and look forward to gathering your input about how we can best serve you and the field as we progress. Contact us at any time to share your thoughts about how we can best support the DRK-12 program, research, and awardees.
New Collection Features DRK-12 Products for Educators
We are excited to share that we have created a new library for educators to find NSF DRK-12 curricula and resources! This searchable collection was shared with our STEM Smart community in a recent newsletter.
In addition, our DRK-12 Research and Products page has a new filter option, “Product for Educators,” under “Resource Type.”
If you have a DRK-12 product that is designed for educators, please let us know at email@example.com so that we can continue to share your work!
Teacher Education & Professional Development Resources
As we continue to build on some of the conversations and themes from the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting, we’d like to highlight some of the many resources that were shared by presenters and attendees. This month, we’re featuring resources related to teacher learning. Thanks to all who planned, presented, and participated for their contributions.
Reports from the Field
Several new reports have been released that may be of interest to you and your work:
- Read about a conversation with Julia Phillips of the National Science Board about the new Indicators report on Elementary and Secondary STEM Education.
- A new NCSES working paper, Understanding Unsuccessful Innovation, examines aspects of the product or business process life cycle and found that innovation failure typically revolves around firms' inadequate pre-launch development activities, which lead to products that do not function properly or in which the marketplace has no interest.
- Did you know that over half of STEM workers do not have a bachelor’s degree when you include work requiring a level of STEM skills not historically included in statistics (e.g., installation, maintenance and repair, construction trades, and production occupations). These and other interesting statistics are available in the new report, The STEM Labor Force of Today: Scientists, Engineers, and Skilled Technical Workers.
- The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) has added data from the recent International Computer and Information Literacy Study (a computer-based international assessment that measures 8th-grade student capacities in computer and information literacy and computational thinking) to the International Data Explorer.
Project Tip: Find Conference & Publication Opportunities
If you are looking for a list of STEM education-related conference and publications, CADRE can help. Download our updated lists (also available on CADRE's Calendar):
In addition, our Upcoming STEM Education Opportunities page is updated monthly and includes conference proposal due dates and calls for papers for special-issue journals, as well as other career opportunities.
News from NSF
- NSF recently announced an extension for DRK-12 proposals (October 8) and offers additional guidance on new current and pending support and biosketch formats.
- NSF program officers will be available for an open Q&A session for DRK-12 Submission today at 2 PM ET. This is an opportunity for prospective awardees to ask questions about the DRK-12 program, solicitation, and submission. There is still time to register!
- NSF has posted a recording of the NSF Proposal and Award Policy Update Webinar held September 21. The webinar provided an overview of significant changes and clarifications to the PAPPG that will take effect on October 4, 2021.
- NSF has begun a candidate search for assistant director for Education and Human Resources (EHR).
- In an August 31 announcement, NSF shared updates on the NSF-approved Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support format, Research.gov proposal submission system enhancements, and improvements to NSF.gov including enhanced funding search functionality and revamped program pages.
- Registration is open for the NSF Fall 2021 Virtual Grants Conference, to be held October 4-8.
News from NSF Networks
- CAISE is hosting a series of virtual office hours with NSF AISL program directors to answer AISL solicitation (21-599) questions.
- CIRCLS' 21 Convening (Theme: Remake “Broadening” in Research on Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning) was held September 13 and 14.
- EvaluATE has created three short videos from their What Gets Measured Gets Done webinar: Measuring Diversity, Measuring Equity, and Measuring Inclusion.
- NSF INCLUDES is hosting Q&A sessions with NSF on September 28 and November 9 at 2 PM ET to answer questions about the NSF INCLUDES Alliance Solicitation (20-569).
- The 2021 ITEST PI Virtual Conference was held September 22-24.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Awards & Recognition
- Megan Bang was one of the 2021 recipients of the AERA Scholars of Color Mid-Career Contribution Award.
- Okhee Lee was the 2021 recipient of the AERA Exemplary Contributions to Practice-Engaged Research Award.
Career & Professional Development
- A Case Study of Specialized Science Courses in Teacher Education and Their Impact on Classroom Teaching | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Johannes Sæleset and Patricia Friedrichsen
- A Systematic Review of Science Discourse in K–12 Urban Classrooms in the United States: Accounting for Individual, Collective, and Contextual Factors | Review of Educational Research
Authors: Christine L. Bae, Daphne C. Mills, Fa Zhang, Martinique Sealy, Lauren Cabrera, and Marquita Sea
- An Examination of Elementary Classroom Dialogue: Implicit and Explicit Use of the NGSS Crosscutting Concepts in an Integrated STEM Unit | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Sarah J. Fick, Jennifer L. Chiu, and Kevin W. McElhaney
- Considering Discussion Types to Support Collective Sensemaking During a Storyline Unit | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Benjamin R. Lowell, Kevin Cherbow, and Katherine L. McNeill
- C2AST (Critical and Cultural Approaches to Ambitious Science Teaching) | The Science Teacher
Authors: Jessica Thompson, Kirsten Mawyer, Heather Johnson, Déana Scipio, and April Luehmann
- Developing Skills for Exploring Children’s Thinking from Extensive One-on-One Work with Students | Mathematics Teacher Educator
Authors: Corey Webel and Sheunghyun Yeo
- Disruptive Moments as Opportunities Towards Justice‐Oriented Pedagogical Practice in Informal Science Learning | Science Education
Authors: Angela Calabrese Barton, Day Greenberg, Won J. Kim, Sinead Brien, ReAnna Roby (2018 CADRE Postdoc), Micaela Balzer, Carmen Turner, and Louise Archer
- Enhancing Distance Learning of Science—Impacts of Remote Labs 2.0 on Students' Behavioural and Cognitive Engagement | Journal of Computer Assisted Learning
Authors: Shannon H. Sung, Chenglu Li, Xudong Huang, and Charles Xie
- Examining English Language Learners’ Learning Needs Through the Lens of Algebra Curriculum Materials | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Zandra de Araujo and Erin Smith
- Experimental Impacts of Learning Trajectory–Oriented Formative Assessment on Student Problem-Solving Accuracy and Strategy Sophistication | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Jonathan A. Supovitz, Caroline B. Ebby, Janine T. Remillard, and Robert Nathenson
- Exploring Climate Justice Learning: Visions, Challenges, and Opportunities | Connected Science Learning
Authors: Deb L. Morrison and Philip Bell
- Field-Based Perspectives on Enacting Alternatives to Ability Grouping in Elementary Mathematics Instruction | Mathematics Teacher Education and Development
Authors: Corey M. Webel, Brendan Dames, Jennifer Woldruff, Leah Lindaman, Katherine Daugherty, and Jennifer Brown
- High School Science Teacher Use of Planning Tools to Integrate Computational Thinking | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Erin Peters-Burton, Peter Jacob Rich, Anastasia Kitsantas, Laura Laclede, and Stephanie M. Stehle
- High School Teachers’ Perspectives on Shifting towards Teaching NGSS-Aligned Project Based Learning Curricular Units | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Tom Bielik, Kellie Finnie, Deborah Peek-Brown, Chris Klager, Israel Touitou, Barbara Schneider, and Joseph Krajcik
- “I Stewed Over That Number Set for Like an Hour Last Night”: Purposeful Selection of Numbers for Fraction Story Problems | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Susan B. Empson, Gladys H. Krause (2016-17 CADRE Fellow), Victoria R. Jacobs
- Intentional Teaching Moments: Supporting Executive Function Development and Early Mathematics Through a Geometry Activity | YC Young Children
Authors: Holland W. Banse, Douglas H. Clements, Julie Sarama, Crystal Day-Hess, Marisa Simoni, and Candace Joswick
- Influence of Features of Curriculum Materials on the Planned Curriculum | ZDM – Mathematics Education
Authors: Jeffrey Choppin, Jon Davis, Amy Roth McDuffie, and Corey Drake
- Motivating Three-Dimensional Learning from Students’ Questions | Science & Children
Authors: Tara A.W. McGill, Gail Housman, and Brian J. Reiser
- Not Your Average Parachute: How We Transformed Our Parachutes Investigation to Capture the Vision of the Next Generation Science Standards | Science & Children
Authors: Kelsey Lipsitz (2016-17 CADRE Fellow), Fred Stein, Lynn Rankin, Barry Kluger-Bell, and Rachel Jordan
- STEM Teaching Tools: Guidance for Justice-Centered Climate Change Teaching and Learning | Connected Science Learning
Authors: Philip Bell and Abby Rhinehart
- Student Engagement with the “Into Math Graph" Tool | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Amanda K. Riske (2020-21 CADRE Fellow), Catherine E. Cullicott, Amanda Mohammad Mirzaei, Amanda Jansen, and James Middleton
- Students Repairing the World Through Science and Imagination | Science & Children
Author: Arthur Eisenkraft
- Sustaining Community-School Relationships Around Shared Visions of Climate Justice and Science Teaching | Connected Science Learning
Authors: David Segura, Daniel Morales-Doyle, Susan Nelson, Amy Levingston, and Karen Canales
- The Quest for Sustainable Futures: Designing Transformative Learning Spaces with Multilingual Black, Brown, and Latinx Young People Through Critical Response-ability | Cultural Studies of Science Education
Authors: Shakhnoza Kayumova and Deborah J. Tippins
- Trends in Teaching Advanced Placement Statistics: Results from a National Survey | Journal of Statistics and Data Science Education
Authors: Hollylynne S. Lee and Taylor Harrison
- “Well That's How the Kids Feel!”—Epistemic Empathy as a Driver of Responsive Teaching | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Lama Z. Jaber, Vesal Dini, and David Hammer
Do you have news to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 4, 2021 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) (Letter of Intent)
- October 5, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Full Proposal)
- October 7, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Institutional Transformation Proposals (Full Proposal)
- October 8, 2021 (Extended) – NSF | Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- October 12, 2021 (Extended) – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR)
- October 12, 2021 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- October 14, 2021 – NSF | Advanced Technological Education (ATE)
- October 15, 2021 – NSF | Tribal Colleges and Universities Program (TCUP) - Targeted STEM Infusion Projects
- October 18, 2021 – NSF | Research on Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning (RETTL)
- November 3, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Partnership and Adaptation Proposals (Full Proposal)
- November 11, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Targeted Infusion Projects; Broadening Participation Research Projects; Implementation Projects; ACE Implementation Projects (Full Proposal)
- December 1, 2021 – NSF | EHR Core Research - Resource Coordination Hub (ECR Hub)
- December 1, 2021 – NSF | Tribal Colleges and Universities Program (TCUP) for Secondary and Elementary Teachers in STEM
- January 18, 2022 – NSF | Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL)
- January 25, 2022 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) (Full Proposal)
- February 9, 2022 – NSF | Computer Science for All (CSforAll: Research and RPPs)
- February 25, 2022 – NSF | EHR Core Research: Building Capacity in STEM Education Research
For more NSF funding opportunities, see CADRE's list of Upcoming NSF DRL EHR Solicitation Deadlines.
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Transitioning to a Postpandemic World
- October 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Fostering Scientific Literacy
- October 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits
- October 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Youth and Communities Taking Action Through STEM
- October 15, 2021 – Learning, Media and Technology | Instituting Socio-technical Education Futures: Encounters for Technical Democracy, Data Justice, and Post-Automation (Abstract Deadline)
- October 24, 2021 – Learning, Media and Technology | Rethinking the Boundaries of Learning in a Digital Age (Abstract Deadline)
- November 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Feedback for Impact
- November 1, 2021 – The Journal of Environmental Education | Digital Technologies and Environmental Education (Abstract Deadline)
- November 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | (Re)connecting the STEM Learning Ecosystem: Lessons from the Pandemic
- December 1, 2021 (Submission Opens) – Journal of Engineering Education | Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses in Engineering Education
- December 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Ready for the Real World?
- December 1, 2021 – Journal of Geoscience Education | In Our VOICES: Voices Integrating Culture In The Earth Sciences
- December 1, 2021 – Science Scope | MS-PS3: Energy
- November 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Preparing and Supporting STEM Educators in Informal and Formal Settings
- February 1, 2022 – Science & Children | Earth's Place in the Universe
- February 1, 2022 – Science Scope | MS-ESS1: Earth's Place in the Universe
- February 15, 2022 – Connected Science Learning | STEM Engagement: The Power of Families and Communities
- February 28, 2022 – Educational Technology & Society | Dynamic Accounts of Digital Divides: Longitudinal and Relational Insights into Unequal Learning Gains from Online and Blended Education
- February 28, 2022 – Sustainability | Educational Technologies
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- September 28, 2021 (Extended) – 2022 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for E-Poster Abstracts)
- October 1, 2021 – 2022 ISTE Conference (Call for Proposals)
- October 1, 2021 – 2022 NCTM Annual Meeting & Exposition (Call for Proposals)
- October 17, 2021 – 2022 SITE Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 5, 2021 – 2022 ISLS Annual Meeting (Call for Papers)
- November 8, 2021 – 2022 ASEE Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 30, 2021 – 2022 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Papers)
- December 1, 2021 – 2022 ASEE Spring Virtual Workshops (Call for Proposals)
- December 20, 2021 – 2022 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Session and Workshop Proposals)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
Career & Professional Development
- September 30, 2021 – ARIS Center Fellowship Program 2022: Call for Fellows
- September 30, 2021 – Northwestern University, School of Education and Social Policy: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
- October 15, 2021 – California State University, Long Beach: Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
- October 15, 2021 – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology
- October 15, 2021 – Vanderbilt University: Assistant Professor of Education Policy in Inequality
- October 29, 2021 – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Assistant Professor of Special Education
- November 1, 2021 – Stanford University: Education Data Science Faculty
- November 1, 2021 – Stanford University: Professor of Science Education
- Until filled – Auburn University: Postdoctoral Researcher, Biology Education (Application review began July 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Boston College: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Science Education
- Until filled – California Education Partners: Associate Director, Research-Practice Partnerships
- Until filled – Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis: Call for Editors (2023-2025)
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Florida State University: Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology: Learning & Cognition (Application review begins October 18, 2021)
- Until filled – Georgia State University: Assistant Professor of Elementary Mathematics Education (Application review began September 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Georgia State University, Department of Educational Policy Studies: Assistant/Associate Professor of Qualitative Research (Application review began September 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Georgia State University, Department of Educational Policy Studies: Assistant Professor of Quantitative Research (Application review began September 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Georgia State University, Department of Educational Policy Studies: Assistant Professor of Social Foundations of Education (Application review began September 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Review of Educational Research: Call for Editors (2022-2024)
- Until filled – SRI International: Senior Education Researcher
- Until filled – Texas State University: Postdoc in STEM Education (Application review began April 23, 2021)
- Until filled – The University of Texas at Austin: Open Rank Professor of STEM Education (Application review begins October 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of California, Santa Cruz: Assistant Professor of Early Literacy Education (Application review begins November 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of California, Santa Cruz: Assistant Professor of Educational Policy Studies (Application review begins October 15, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Florida: Lastinger Center Post-Doctoral Mathematics Content Developer
- Until filled – University of Florida: Lastinger Center Post-Doctoral NSF Math Project
- Until filled – University of Maine: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Application review began April 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Ed Coordinator
- Until filled – University of Michigan: Learning Sciences & Technology Faculty
- Until filled – University of Rochester: Postdoctoral Scholar
- Until filled – University of Tennessee, Knoxville: Assistant Professor of Math Education (Application review began September 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Vanderbilt University: Postdoctoral Researcher, NSF Project (Application review begins January 15, 2022)
- Until filled – Wayne State University: Detroit Education Research Partnership Postdoctoral Fellowship
For job, funding, and capacity-building opportunities for doctoral students, postdocs, and other early career scholars, visit our Early Career News & Opportunities page.
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: