With over 500 registrants, the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting was our largest meeting ever! Aspiring, new, and experienced DRK-12 awardees, NSF staff, and guests came together to share research, discuss critical education issues, and meet with collaborators. We thank everyone who contributed to the meeting conversations, including NSF program officers, moderators and presenters, and attendees. We have now posted session recordings in case you missed one or want to revisit a conversation. The recordings, session resources, and posters will be available to meeting registrants for the next year at 2021.DRK12PIMeeting.org.
Congratulations to the new DRK-12 awardees! You may notice that among the new awardees is CADRE! CADRE has been funded to continue serving as the DRK-12 resource network. We at EDC look forward to working with our new partners at North Carolina State University, WestEd, the University of Missouri, Vanderbilt University, and Mathematica. Watch for future announcements of our efforts to increase strategic collaborations with STEM education stakeholders from diverse contexts, communities, and cultures; build the capacity of early career STEM education scholars and prospective awardees; initiate and facilitate discussions, professional connections, and learning opportunities among DRK-12 awardees; and support the strategic dissemination of DRK-12 research and knowledge. We welcome your suggestions and involvement in CADRE’s efforts to advance DRK-12 research.
The CADRE Team
Upcoming DRK-12 Solicitation Webinars
CADRE will host two NSF-led webinars on DRK-12 Solicitation 20-572 on July 7 and July 22 at 4 PM ET. If you are planning to submit a DRK-12 proposal (deadline October 6, 2021), we encourage you to register and attend.
- Proposals must be submitted using Research.gov or Grants.gov. For more information on using Research.gov, watch this webinar recording.
- NSF issued a new Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG). It should be used for proposals due on or after October 4, 2021, which includes DRK-12 proposals.
Find the above resources (and more!) in our NSF Proposal Toolkit. If you are preparing a DRK-12 proposal for the first time, find guidance in our Proposal Development Timeline.
2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting Follow-Up
We were engaged, challenged, and invigorated by the ways in which the DRK-12 community and research has persevered, responded, and transformed through the events of the past year. Thank you all for your contributions and flexibility during this year's virtual meeting. It was wonderful to see familiar faces as well as get to know prospective awardees, project members, and collaborators who are often unable to attend the in-person conferences. In the coming weeks and months, we hope you will continue to engage and learn from your colleagues:
- Virtual Poster Hall: Posters are available for browsing and comment for meeting registrants (must be logged in).
- Session Recordings: Watch recordings of sessions you missed or want to revisit. Please note that breakouts were not recorded.
- Featured Presentations: NSF Welcome | A Year in Crisis: Impacts and Inequities in American Families, Schools, and Communities | STEM, Civil Discourse, & Reasoning | Closing: Reflections on Meeting Events & Discussion
- Concurrent Sessions (must be logged in)
- Conference Submissions: As we approach submission deadlines for AERA, NARST, AMTE, and other events, CADRE is planning to support and develop cross-project submissions around topics that are emerging from the portfolio and PI meeting. Email email@example.com if you would like to be involved and have a suggestion of a topic or opportunity. We have previously supported sessions focused on modeling (NSTA), online and blended professional development (AERA), and algebra (AERA, NCTM).
- Continued Conversation: If you would like to stay in touch via an email listserv, schedule follow-up conversations, or explore further opportunities for collaboration following any of the PI meeting sessions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you attended the meeting, please let us know about your experience by completing the evaluation survey you received on June 17.
If you are on an active DRK-12 project but were not able to attend the meeting and would like access to the event site to view recordings and session materials, please fill out this form. If you are not on an active project, stay tuned for the release of some recordings on our YouTube channel.
CADRE will continue to add resources from the PI Meeting to the event site, e.g., additional recordings, resources from chats, session Google docs, and more!
Project Tip: Advisory Boards
During the recent DRK-12 PI Meeting, Michelle Cirillo, Zandra de Araujo, and Beth Herbel Eisenmann provided suggestions about how to engage your advisory board. Here are a couple of takeaways:
News from NSF
- EHR Core Research (ECR:Core) program officers will provide an overview of the funding opportunities available in the new EHR Core Research Solicitation (NSF 21-588, deadline October 7, 2021) in 3 upcoming webinars: July 1 at 4 PM ET; July 7 at 2:30 PM ET; July 12 at 3 PM ET.
- Proposals submitted on or after October 4, 2021, should follow guidance from the new Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)(22-1).
- Slides and recording from the NSF-wide webinars about the CAREER program (deadline July 26, 2021) are now available.
- View session recordings from NSF's Spring 2021 NSF Virtual Grants Conference.
News from NSF Networks
- CAISE will hold a virtual 2021 Awardee Meeting October 19–21, 2021. If you are a currently funded NSF AISL awardee and have not received an email from NSF about this meeting, please complete this form.
- EvaluATE described in a recent webinar how evaluators and PIs funded by NSF’s ATE program define and measure diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) within their projects.
- STELAR is hosting two upcoming informational webinars: June 30 for an overview of the ITEST solicitation (deadline August 31) and July 4 for advice on writing a competitive proposal.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Awards & Recognition
Joseph Polman and Brian Reiser were selected as 2021 ISLS Fellows.
Marta Civil received the 2021 NCTM Lifetime Achievement Award.
- A Mixed Methods Comparison of Elementary Preservice Teachers’ Conceptualization of Teaching Engineering | Research in Science Education
Authors: Rebekah Hammack and Tina Vo (2016-17 CADRE Fellow)
- Data-based Individualization in Mathematics to Support Middleschool Teachers and Their Students with Mathematics Learning Difficulty | Studies in Educational Evaluation
Authors: Sarah R. Powell, Erica S. Lembke, Leanne R. Ketterlin-Geller, Yaacov Petscher, Jiyung Hwang, Samantha E. Bos, Taylor Cox, Stacy Hirt, Erica N. Mason, Tiffini Pruitt-Britton, Elizabeth Thomas, and Stephanie Hopkins
- Designing for Mathematical Literacy: Introducing Exponential Growth Using Critical and Meaningful Problem Contexts| Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
Author: William Zahner
- Developing and Empirically Grounding the Draw-An-Engineering-Teacher Test (DAETT) | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Tina Vo (2016-17 CADRE Fellow) and Rebekah Hammack
- Examining the Interdependence in the Growth of Students' Language and Argument Competencies in Replicative and Generative Learning Environments | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Ali Cikmaz, Gavin Fulmer, Fatma Yaman, and Brian Hand
- Examining the Responding Component of Teacher Noticing: A Case of One Teacher’s Pedagogical Responses to Students’ Thinking in Classroom Artifacts | Journal of Teacher Education
Authors: Melissa Luna and Sarah Selmer
- Expert and Preservice Secondary Teachers’ Competencies for Noticing Student Thinking about Modelling | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Jinfa Cai, Raymond LaRochelle, Stephen Hwang, and Gabriele Kaiser
- Exploring Experienced Designers' Strategies in a CAD Learning Environment | Computer Applications in Engineering Education
Authors: Anne M. McAlister, James P. Bywater (2018-19 CADRE Fellow), and Jennifer L. Chiu
- Exploring Variability During Data Preparation: A Way to Connect Data, Chance, and Context When Working with Complex Public Datasets | Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Authors: Michelle Hoda Wilkerson, Kathryn Lanouette, and Rebecca L. Shareff
- Forests After Florence: An Informal Community-Engaged STEM Research Project Promotes STEM Identity in Disaster-Impacted Students | Research in Science & Technological Education
Authors: Kelly Lynn Mulvey, Angelina Joy, Michael Caslin, Darby Orcutt, Deniz Eseryel, and Madhusudan Katti
- Incorporating Concept Development Activities into a Flipped Classroom Structure: Using PhET Simulations to Put a Twist on the Flip | Chemistry Education Research and Practice
Authors: Hoi-Ting Wu, Kiana Mortezaei, Teresa Alvelais, Grace Henbest, Courtney Murphy, Ellen J. Yezierski, and Jack F. Eichler
- Integrating Computational Modeling into Science Instruction with English Learners | Science & Children
Authors: Alison Haas, Scott Grapin, Katie Simon, Lorena Llosa, and Okhee Lee
- Investigating the Usability and Learner Experience of a Virtual Reality Adaptive Skills Intervention for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder | Educational Technology Research and Development
Authors: Matthew Schmidt and Noah Glaser (2021 CADRE Postdoc)
- Learning to Teach Science During the Clinical Experience: Agency, Opportunity, and Struggle | Science Education
Authors: Mark Windschitl, Karin Lohwasser, Tammy Tasker, Soo-Yean Shim, and Caroline Long
- Lessons from a Co-Design Team on Supporting Student Motivation in Middle School Science Classrooms | Theory Into Practice
Authors: Gwen C. Marchand, Jennifer A. Schmidt, Lisa Linnenbrink-Garcia, Christopher J. Harris, David McKinney (2019-20 CADRE Fellow), and Pei Pei Liu
- Lighting Up History: Integrating Mathematics and Computational Thinking in the Science Classroom | Science Scope
Authors: Kristin Searle, Colby Tofel-Grehl, and Beth L. MacDonald
- Measuring Teaching Practices at Scale: A Novel Application of Text-as-Data Methods | Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
Authors: Jing Liu and Julie Cohen
- Methodological Guidance Paper: The Craft of Conducting a Qualitative Review | Review of Educational Research
Authors: Suzanne M. Wilson and Dorothea Anagnostopoulos
- Negotiations in Scientific Argumentation: An Interpersonal Analysis | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Donna Governor, Doug Lombardi, and Catie Duffield
- Preparation and Motivation of High School Students Who Want to Become Science or Mathematics Teachers | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Travis T. Fuchs, Gerhard Sonnert, Sandra A. Scott, Philip M. Sadler, and Chen Chen
- Prospective Teachers’ Appraisals of Technology Platforms: Comparing Perception and Complexity | Technology, Pedagogy and Education
Authors: Julie M. Amador, Karl W. Kosko, Tracy Weston, and Anne Estapa
- Radical Love as Praxis | Journal of Urban Mathematics Education
Authors: Cathery Yeh, Ricardo Martinez, Sara Rezvi, and Shraddha Shirude
- Rethinking Learning Trajectories in Light of Student Linguistic Diversity | Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Authors: William Zahner and Lynda Wynn
- Screen-Free STEAM: Low-Cost and Hands-on Approaches to Teaching Coding and Engineering to Young Children | Embedding STEAM in Early Childhood Education and Care
Authors: Amanda Sullivan and Amanda Strawhacker
- STEM or STEAM or STREAM? Integrated or Interdisciplinary? | Embedding STEAM in Early Childhood Education and Care
Authors: Douglas H. Clements and Julie Sarama
- STEM-Focused Career Courses and College Pipeline for Students with Learning Disabilities | Educational Policy
Authors: Jennifer A. Freeman, Michael A. Gottfried, and Jay Stratte Plasman (2015-16 CADRE Fellow)
- Students’ Civic Online Reasoning: A National Portrait | Educational Researcher
Authors: Joel Breakstone, Mark Smith, Sam Wineburg, Amie Rapaport, Jill Carle, Marshall Garland, and Anna Saavedra
- Teacher-Developed Multi-Dimensional Science Assessments Supporting Elementary Teacher Learning about the Next Generation Science Standards | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Justin McFadden, Karl Jung, Brian Robinson, and Thomas R. Tretter
- The Culturally Responsive Science Teaching Practices of Undergraduate Biology Teaching Assistants | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Hillary A. Barron, Julie C. Brown, and Sehoya Cotner
- The Longitudinal Effects of School Improvement Grants | Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
Authors: Min Sun, Alec I. Kennedy, and Susanna Loeb
- The Mathematics Teacher Identity of Two Early Career Mathematics Teachers and the Influence of their Working Communities on its Development | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Okan Arslan, Çiğdem Haser, and Laura R. Van Zoest
- The Power of Interviewing Students | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Theresa J. MacVicar, Amy R. Brodesky, and Emily R. Fagan
- Theory to Practice: Prospective Mathematics Teachers’ Recontextualizing Discourses Surrounding Collective Argumentation | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Carlos Nicolas Gomez Marchant (2014-15 CADRE Fellow), Hyejin Park, Yuling Zhuang, Jonathan K. Foster, and AnnaMarie Conner
- “There Are Other Ways to Help Besides Using the Stuff”: Using Activity Theory to Understand Dynamic Student Participation in Small Group Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Activities | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Jeanna R. Wieselmann, Emily A. Dare, Gillian H. Roehrig, and Elizabeth A. Ring-Whalen
- Weathering the Virtual Storm: Using Computational Thinking to Make a Forecast | Science Scope
Authors: Joyce Massicotte, Carolyn J. Staudt, and Cynthia McIntyre
- What Makes Mathematics Teacher Coaching Effective? A Call for a Justice-Oriented Perspective | Journal of Teacher Education
Authors: Samantha A. Marshall and Patricia M. Buenrostro (2018-19 CADRE Fellow)
- Why Some Parents are Sticking with Remote Learning—Even as Schools Reopen | Brookings Institution
Authors: Anna Saavedra, Amie Rapaport, and Dan Silver
- Unpacking the Connections Between 8th Graders' Climate Literacy and Epistemic Cognition | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Nathan Anderson Quarderer, Gavin W. Fulmer, Brian Hand, and Ted A. Neal
Do you have news to share? Email email@example.com.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- July 13, 2021 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- July 21, 2021 – NSF | Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Education and Human Resources (IUSE: EHR) - IUSE Level 1, 2, 3, and Capacity-Building Proposals
- July 22, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Letter of Intent)
- July 26, 2021 – NSF | Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- July 27, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Research Initiation Awards (Letter of Intent)
- August 2, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Adaptation and Partnership Proposals (Letter of Intent)
- August 6, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Catalyst Proposals (Full Proposal)
- August 13, 2021 – NSF | Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST)
- August 25, 2021 – NSF | Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI Program)
- September 8, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Preliminary Proposal)
- September 14, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Targeted Infusion Projects; Broadening Participation Research Projects; Implementation Projects; ACE Implementation Projects (Letter of Intent)
- October 4, 2021 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) (Letter of Intent)
- October 5, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Full Proposal)
- October 6, 2021 – NSF | Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- October 7, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Institutional Transformation Proposals (Full Proposal)
- October 7, 2021 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR)
- October 12, 2021 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- October 18, 2021 – NSF | Research on Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning (RETTL)
- November 3, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Partnership and Adaptation Proposals (Full Proposal)
- November 11, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Targeted Infusion Projects; Broadening Participation Research Projects; Implementation Projects; ACE Implementation Projects (Full Proposal)
For more NSF funding opportunities, see CADRE's list of Upcoming NSF DRL EHR Solicitation Deadlines.
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Transitioning to a Postpandemic World
- June 30, 2021 – Mathematics Education Research Journal | Approaches to Investigating Young Children’s Mathematical Activity (Call for Abstracts)
- July 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Engage and Motivate!
- July 1, 2021 – Journal of College Science Teaching | Remote Learning Strategies Employed During the Pandemic
- July 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Youth and Communities Taking Action Through STEM
- August 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Information Processing
- August 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Creating a Classroom Community
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Equity Every Day
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Technology & Society | Learning at the Intersection of Data Literacy and Social Justice
- September 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | (Re)connecting the STEM Learning Ecosystem: Lessons from the Pandemic
- September 15, 2021 – Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics (TEEMS) | Antiracism in Mathematics Education
- September 30, 2021 – Sustainability | Educational Technologies
- October 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Fostering Scientific Literacy
- October 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits
- October 24, 2021 – Learning, Media & Technology | Rethinking the Boundaries of Learning in a Digital Age (Abstract Deadline)
- November 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Feedback for Impact
- November 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Preparing and Supporting STEM Educators in Informal and Formal Settings
- December 1, 2021 – Journal of Geoscience Education | In Our VOICES: Voices Integrating Culture In The Earth Sciences
- December 1, 2021 – Science Scope | MS-PS3: Energy
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- June 30, 2021 – 2022 ASTE International Conference (Call for Proposals)
- June 30, 2021 – 2022 ITEEA Conference (Call for Proposals)
- July 12, 2021 – 2022 AERA Annual Meeting (Call for Submissions)
- July 27, 2021 – 2022 CoSN Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- September 5, 2021 – 2022 RCML Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- September 14, 2021 – 2022 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for Poster Abstracts)
- October 17, 2021 – 2022 SITE Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 30, 2021 – 2022 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Papers)
- December 20, 2021 – 2022 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Session and Workshop Proposals)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
Career & Professional Development
- July 9, 2021 – Western Michigan University Evaluation Center: Research Data Analyst
- July 20, 2021 – University of Connecticut: Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Until filled – Auburn University: Postdoctoral Researcher, Biology Education (Application review begins July 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Boston College: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Engineering Education
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Florida State University: Postdoctoral Scholar
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Northwestern University: Curriculum Development Specialist
- Until filled – Texas State University: Postdoc in STEM Education (Application review will begin April 23, 2021)
- Until filled – The Franklin Institute: Director of Education Programs
- Until filled – University of Florida: Research Scientist - Chief Equity Officer and Mathematics Principal (Application review began April 5, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maine: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Application review began April 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Ed Coordinator
- Until filled – University of Pennsylvania: Postdoctoral Research Associate
For job, funding, and capacity-building opportunities for doctoral students, postdocs, and other early career scholars, visit our Early Career News & Opportunities page.
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.
Subscribe | Create CADRE Account