On the heels of Earth Day and the White House’s climate summit, we’re featuring a Spotlight on Earth and Environmental Science that discusses environmental literacy and shares innovative DRK-12 work covering complex Earth and Environmental Science topics.
PIs of active awards have received invitations to the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting and are encouraged to share this invitation with project team members. For those of you unable to attend, we’ll share meeting resources in upcoming CADRE newsletters. In the meantime, learn more about your colleagues’ DRK-12 work and set aside time May 11-18 to watch their videos in the STEM for All Video Showcase.
NSF now requires that all proposals to the DRK-12 program use Research.gov rather than FastLane. If you’ve never used Research.gov to submit a proposal before, join NSF for this informational webinar on May 12 to learn how to use the system.
As more schools hold in-person classes and we consider what next year may look like for our schools, we have found the Alliance for Excellent Education’s short overview of the American Rescue Plan Act informative. It gives a summary of the ~$129 billion in K-12 education provisions. Read the Congressional Research Service’s report for a more in-depth look at the funding.
The CADRE Team
2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting: Invitation to Aspiring Awardees
To broaden participation in research, NSF has reserved 25 spots for early career researchers and aspiring awardees to attend the 2021 DRK-12 PI Meeting. Please share this opportunity with colleagues or partners who may be interested in applying and who represent a group or institution underrepresented in the DRK-12 portfolio (e.g., HBCUs, HSIs, TCUs, MSIs). The deadline is April 30.
Spotlight on Earth and Environmental Science
In honor of Earth Day this month, we feature DRK-12 innovations and research designed to help students understand complex earth and environmental science topics such as natural phenomena, ecosystems, and human impact on our environment.
Our blog by former NAAEE PI, Karen Hollweg, shares insights from a DRK-12 project that developed a framework to assess environmental literacy.
In this Spotlight...
- What Is Environmental Literacy? | Blog by Karen Hollweg
- Featured Research
- Additional Projects
- Resources for Teaching & Learning about the Earth & Environment | DRK-12 Products for Practitioners
- Related Resources
Updated DRK-12 Publications, Presentations, and Products
We have updated information on recent publications and products, upcoming presentations, and project websites. You can view all submissions in Excel spreadsheets, on updated project pages, in the event calendar, and in the resource library on cadrek12.org. The survey will remain open, and we invite you to submit your DRK-12 work at any time. We are always happy to promote your work.
Attending one of the conferences below? See which DRK-12 colleagues will be presenting their work:
Dissemination Tip: STEM Smart Newsletter
Did you know that CADRE has a newsletter for practitioners interested in NSF-funded STEM education research?
News from NSF
- The EHR Division of Graduate Education released a new funding opportunity: Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- NSF has released a new Dear Colleague Letter inviting current NSF grantees to submit supplemental funding requests for research visits to any identified, appropriate ERC-funded European research group.
News from NSF Networks
- Reminder: CADRE and STELAR are co-hosting an upcoming NSF webinar on May 12 from 1-2:30 PM ET: Migrating NSF Proposal Preparation and Submission from FastLane to Research.gov. Register to reserve your spot.
- NSF INCLUDES has posted a new Research Brief: Evidence-Based Strategies for Attracting and Retaining Girls and Women in STEM.
- The Virtual CIRCLS Convening 2021 will be held September 13-14, 2021. You can apply to attend. The meeting is open to those with and without an existing NSF award.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Career & Professional Development
- A Learner‐Centered Approach for Designing Visuohaptic Simulations for Conceptual Understanding of Truss Structures | Computer Applications in Engineering Education
Authors: Yoselyn Walsh, Alejandra Magana, Hector Will, Tugba Yuksel, Lynn Bryan, Edward Berger, and Bedrich Benes
- Approaches to Illuminate Content-Specific Gameplay Decisions Using Open-Ended Game Data | Educational Technology Research and Development
Authors: Louisa Rosenheck, Meng-Tzu Cheng, Chen-Yen Lin, and Eric Klopfer
- Developing and Using Multiple Models to Promote Scientific Literacy in the Context of Socio-Scientific Issues | Science & Education
Authors: Li Ke, Troy D. Sadler, Laura Zangori, and Patricia J. Friedrichsen
- Examining Student Environmental Science Agency across School Science Contexts | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Emily M. Harris and Heidi L. Ballard
- Fostering Educational Improvement with Research-Practice Partnerships | Phi Delta Kappan
Authors: Cynthia E. Coburn, William R. Penuel, and Caitlin C. Farrell
- Future Themes of Mathematics Education Research: An International Survey Before and During the Pandemic | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Arthur Bakker, Jinfa Cai, and Linda Zenger
- Growing Garden-based Learning: Mapping Practical and Theoretical Work through Design | Environmental Education Research
Authors: Steven J. Zuiker and Amanda K. Riske (2020-21 CADRE Fellow)
- Learning about Culture and Sustainable Harvesting of Native Plants | Science and Children
Authors: Eileen Merritt, Alex Peterson, Stacy Evans, Sallie A. Marston, and Steven Zuiker
- Networking Frameworks: A Method for Analyzing the Complexities of Classroom Cultures Focusing on Justifying | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Eva Thanheiser, Kathleen Melhuish, Amanda Sugimoto, Brenda Rosencrans, and Ruth Heaton
- Re‐designing Infrastructure as a Strategy for Crafting Coherence across Three Networks Focused on the Implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Jonathan L. Hall, Todd Campbell, and Lisa Lundgren
- Resources for Supporting Students With and Without Disabilities in Your Physics Courses | The Physics Teacher
Authors: Amanda Lannan (2020-21 CADRE Fellow), Jacquelyn J. Chini, and Erin Scanlon
- “Shh!”: Shifting Discourse Patterns and Techniques of Surveillance in Middle-School Mathematics Classrooms | ZDM – Mathematics Education
Authors: Christopher H. Dubbs and Beth Herbel-Eisenmann
- Strategic Competence for Multistep Fraction Word Problems: An Overlooked Aspect of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Yasemin Copur-Gencturk and Tenzin Doleck
- Supporting the Professional Development of Science Teacher Educators Through Shadowing | International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
Authors: Deborah Hanuscin, Deborah Donovan, Alejandro Acevedo-Gutiérrez, Emily Borda, Susan DeBari, Josie Melton (2017-18 CADRE Fellow), Thanh Le, Whitney Morrison, and Roxane Ronca
- Teachers as Redesigners of Curriculum to Teach Mathematics Through Problem Posing: Conceptualization and Initial Findings of a Problem-Posing | ZDM – Mathematics Education
Authors: Jinfa Cai and Stephen Hwang
- Teachers’ Conceptual Understanding of Fraction Operations: Results from a National Sample of Elementary School Teachers | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Author: Yasemin Copur-Gencturk
- Teaching and Learning in Multiplicative Situations: A Case Study of Tutoring an Elementary School Student with a Learning Disability | School Science and Mathematics
Authors: Casey Hord (2010-11 CADRE Fellow), Signe Kastberg, and Andrea L. Draeger
- Teaching Mathematics Through Problem Posing: Insights from an Analysis of Teaching Cases | ZDM – Mathematics Education
Authors: Huirong Zhang and Jinfa Cai
- Understanding Science Career Aspirations: Factors Predicting Future Science Task Value | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: M. Gail Jones, Katherine Chesnutt, Megan Ennes, Kelly Lynn Mulvey, and Emily Cayton
- Using Computational Thinking and Modeling to Build Water and Watershed Literacy | Connected Science Learning
Authors: Bess Caplan, Beth Covitt, Garrett Love, Alan R. Berkowitz, Kristin L. Gunckel, Chelsea McClure, and John C. Moore
- Using Machine Learning to Score Multi-Dimensional Assessments of Chemistry and Physics | Journal of Science Education and Technology
Authors: Sarah Maestrales, Xiaoming Zhai, Israel Touitou, Quinton Baker, Barbara Schneider, and Joseph Krajcik
- What Initiates Evidence‐based Reasoning?: Situations That Prompt Students to Support Their Design Ideas and Decisions | Journal of Engineering Education
Authors: Emilie A. Siverling, Tamara J. Moore, Elizabeth Suazo‐Flores, Corey A. Mathis, and S. Selcen Guzey
- Who Is a Scientist? The Relationship Between Counter-Stereotypical Beliefs about Scientists and the STEM Major Intentions of Black and Latinx Male and Female Students | International Journal of STEM Education
Authors: Ursula Nguyen and Catherine Riegle-Crumb
Do you have news to share? Email email@example.com.
- June 9, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Full Proposal)
- July 13, 2021 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- July 21, 2021 – NSF | Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Education and Human Resources (IUSE: EHR) - Institutional and Community Transformation Capacity-Building; Engaged Student Learning and Institutional and Community Transformation Level 1
- July 26, 2021 – NSF | Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- July 27, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Research Initiation Awards (Letter of Intent)
- August 2, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Adaptation and Partnership Proposals (Letter of Intent)
- August 6, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Catalyst Proposals (Full Proposal)
- August 13, 2021 – NSF | Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST)
- August 25, 2021 - NSF | Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI Program)
- September 14, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Targeted Infusion Projects; Broadening Participation Research Projects; Implementation Projects; ACE Implementation Projects (Letter of Intent)
For more NSF funding opportunities, see CADRE's list of Upcoming NSF DRL EHR Solicitation Deadlines.
- April 30, 2021 – Advanced Engineering Informatics | Emerging Learning Technologies for Future of Work and Education in Engineering
- April 30, 2021 (Deadline extended) – Journal of Chemical Education | Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Respect in Chemistry Education Research and Practice
- April 30, 2021 – Science & Education | Why Trust Science and Science Education?
- May 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Equity and Connection in STEM Learning Ecosystems
- June 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Cultivating Educator Efficacy
- June 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Water in Our World
- June 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Science Teaching Challenges
- June 1, 2021 – The Science Teacher | Culturally Relevant Science Pedagogy
- June 14, 2021 – Investigations in Mathematics Learning | Call for Special Issue Proposals
- June 15, 2021 – Journal of Research in Science Teaching | Community‐Driven Science: Evidence of and Implications for Equity, Justice, Science Learning, and Participation (Call for Extended Abstracts)
- June 30, 2021 – Mathematics Education Research Journal | Approaches to Investigating Young Children’s Mathematical Activity (Call for Abstracts)
- July 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Engage and Motivate!
- July 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Youth and Communities Taking Action Through STEM
- August 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Information Processing
- August 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Creating a Classroom Community
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Equity Every Day
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Technology & Society | Learning at the Intersection of Data Literacy and Social Justice
- September 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | (Re)connecting the STEM Learning Ecosystem: Lessons from the Pandemic
- September 30, 2021 – Sustainability | Educational Technologies
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
Career & Professional Development
- May 2, 2021 (Deadline extended) – NSF Quantitative Research Methods for STEM Education Scholars Program
- Until filled – Boston College: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Engineering Education
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Florida State University: Postdoctoral Scholar
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Northwestern University: Curriculum Development Specialist
- Until filled – : Postdoc Educational Equity and Critical Technology AI Institute
- Until filled – : Postdoc in Multivariate Time Series Analysis of Behavioral Data
- Until filled – Purdue University: Assistant Professor in Early Childhood Education, Development and Learning (Application review began December 10, 2020)
- Until filled – Purdue University: Postdoc Research Associate (Application review began January 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Texas State University: Postdoc in STEM Education (Application review will begin April 23, 2021)
- Until filled – The Franklin Institute: Director of Education Programs
- Until filled – University at Buffalo: Postdoctoral Associate
- Until filled – University of Florida: Research Scientist - Chief Equity Officer and Mathematics Principal (Application review began April 5, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maine: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Application review began April 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Ed Coordinator
- Until filled – University of Pennsylvania: Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Until filled – University of Southern California: Postdoctoral Research Associate
For job, funding, and capacity-building opportunities for doctoral students, postdocs, and other early career scholars, visit our Early Career News & Opportunities page.
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: