The CADRE Fellows nominations are open! Please spread the word about this professional growth opportunity for early career researchers. Applications are due October 8, 2020.
Schools are back in session. Students, parents, teachers, and our community of researchers are all trying to adapt to the new COVID-19 education landscape (and more visible equity issues). In this month’s Spotlight on Adapting Research Amid COVID-19, four DRK-12 projects recount how they have adjusted their research designs.
AIR recently held two webinars as part of their methodology series designed for the DRK-12 Program. View recordings and resources on the topics of systematic literature reviews and meta-analytic techniques.
Good luck to everyone working on DRK-12 proposals!
Whether the pandemic-related changes in teaching and learning are short-term or the catalyst for a paradigm shift in education, many—if not most—DRK-12 projects have needed to adjust their research practices and designs.
In this Spotlight, four projects share the changes they made to their questions and/or collection, measurement, and analysis of data.
In addition, explore resources from the Adapting Your DRK-12 Research Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic webinar.
Accepting Applications for the 2020-21 CADRE Fellows Program
CADRE invites PIs and co-PIs of active DRK-12 projects to recommend an early career STEM education researcher who you think would contribute to and benefit from the CADRE Fellows program. The person you recommend may be a member of your project team, someone in your department, or a researcher with whom you've had the opportunity to work in a different capacity and can speak to the quality of their work.
We aim to establish a cohort of 10 Fellows that represent diverse backgrounds, experiences, interests, professional goals, institutions, and geographic regions. View the full applicant criteria.
Applications are due by 5:00 PM ET on Thursday, October 8, 2020. The new Fellows cohort will be announced mid-October. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
A Focus on Data in the Classroom
Project Tip: Inclusive Data Visualizations
It’s time to examine our data visualization practices. The Urban Institute has released a new resource that may help: Applying Racial Equity Awareness in Data Visualization. Find additional guidance from a variety of data visualization style guides.
News from NSF
- A new AISL solicitation (20-607) has been released. The full proposal deadline is January 12, 2021.
- NSF has released a new set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on proposal preparation and award administration related to NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 20-1).
- NSF is holding a free funding opportunities webinar, Broadening Participation in STEM through Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, on September 30, 2020 from 2:30-4:30 pm ET.
- A Tool for Visualizing and Inquiring into Whole-Class Sensemaking Discussions | Research in Science Education
Authors: Carolyn Colley and Mark Windschitl
- Abstract Algebra Students’ Evoked Concept Images for Functions and Homomorphisms | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Kathleen Melhuish, Kristen Lew, Michael D. Hicks, and Sindura Subanemy Kandasamy
- Community Infrastructuring as Necessary Ingenuity in the COVID-19 Pandemic | Educational Researcher
Authors: Day Greenberg, Angela Calabrese Barton, Carmen Turner, Kelly Hardy, Akeya Roper, Candace Williams, Leslie Rupert Herrenkohl, Elizabeth A. Davis, and Tammy Tasker
- Conducting Research in the Time of Pandemic: A Pause or an Opportunity? | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Author: Alison Castro Superfine
- Consequences of Curricular Adaptation Strategies for Implementation at Scale | Science Education
Authors: Brian Drayton, Debra Bernstein, Christian Schunn, and Susan McKenney
- Discourse Analysis in Integrated STEM Activities: Methods for Examining Power and Positioning in Small Group Interactions | Research in Science Education
Authors: Jeanna R. Wieselmann, Khomson Keratithamkul, Emily A. Dare, Elizabeth A. Ring-Whalen, and Gillian H. Roehrig
- Do They Know They Don't Know? | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Ryan Gillespie, Julie M. Amador, and Abraham Wallin
- Emotions in the Doing of Science: Exploring Epistemic Affect in Elementary Teachers' Science Research Experiences | Science Education
Authors: Shannon G. Davidson, Lama Z. Jaber, Sherry A. Southerland
- Empirical Recovery of Learning Progressions through the Lens of Educators | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Authors: Leanne R. Ketterlin-Geller, Yetunde Zannou, Anthony Sparks, and Lindsey Perry (2018 CADRE Postdoc)
- Encouraging Collaboration and Building Community in Online Asynchronous Professional Development: Designing for Social Capital | International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning
Authors: Susan A. Yoon, Katherine Miller, Thomas Richman, Daniel Wendel, Ilana Schoenfeld, Emma Anderson, and Jooeun Shim
- Engineering Mindsets and Learning Outcomes in Elementary School | The Journal of Engineering Education
Authors: Pamela S. Lottero‐Perdue and Cathy P. Lachapelle
- Exploring Differences in Practicing Teachers’ Knowledge Use in a Dynamic and Static Proportional Task | Mathematics Education Research Journal
Authors: Rachael Eriksen Brown, Chandra Hawley Orrill, and Jinsook Park
- Fostering Collaboration with the Flip | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Zandra de Araujo, Samuel Otten, Wenmin Zhao (2018-19 CADRE Fellow), Jessica Kamuru, and Jaepil Han
- How Does Augmented Observation Facilitate Multimodal Representational Thinking? Applying Deep Learning to Decode Complex Student Construct | Journal of Science Education and Technology
Authors: Shannon H. Sung, Chenglu Li, Guanhua Chen, Xudong Huang, Charles Xie, Joyce Massicotte, and Ji Shen
- Learning to Teach Mathematics through Problem Posing: Teachers’ Beliefs and Performance on Problem Posing | Educational Studies in Mathematics
Authors: Xinlian Li, Naiqing Song, Stephen Hwang, and Jinfa Cai
- Realistic Authenticity | Journal of Interactive Learning Research
Authors: Simon Skov Fougt, Morten Misfeldt, and David Williamson Shaffer
- The Multiplicative Meaning Conveyed by Visual Representations | The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Author: Karl W. Kosko
- The Role of Recognition in Disciplinary Identity for Girls | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Roxanne Hughes, Jennifer Schellinger (2019-20 CADRE Fellow), and Kari Roberts
- Toward a System of Evidence for All: Current Practices and Future Opportunities in 37 Randomized Trials | Educational Researcher
Authors: Elizabeth Tipton, Jessaca Spybrook, Kaitlyn G. Fitzgerald, Qian Wang, and Caryn Davidson
- Using Arrays for Meaningful Multiplication | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Author: Karl W. Kosko
- What Science and STEM Teachers Can Learn from COVID-19: Harnessing Data Science and Computer Science through the Convergence of Multiple STEM Subjects | Journal of Science Teacher Education
Authors: Okhee Lee and Todd Campbell
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share news from your project.
- October 1 – NSF | Advanced Technological Education (ATE)
- October 1 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR)
- October 5 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoveries in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) (Letter of Intent)
- October 6 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Full Proposal)
- October 7 – NSF | Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- October 20 – NSF | NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) (Computer and Information Science and Engineering, Materials Research, Psychology, Social Sciences, STEM Education and Learning)
- November 3 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Adaptation and Partnership Letters of Intent)
- November 20 – NSF | Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- December 4 – NSF | Centers of Research Excellence in Science and Technology (CREST)
- December 4 – NSF | HBCU Research Infrastructure for Science and Engineering (HBCU-RISE) (Letter of Intent)
- January 12 – NSF | Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL)
- January 26 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoveries in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) (Full Proposal)
- February 4 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) (Catalyst Full Proposal)
- February 10 – NSF | Computer Science for All (CSforAll: Research and RPPs)
- February 26 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR): Building Capacity in STEM Education Research (ECR: BCSER)
- October 1 – Educational Leadership | Equity in Action
- October 1 – Education Studies in Mathematics | Race, Racism, and Racialization in Mathematics Education: Global Perspectives (Call for Abstracts)
- October 1 – Science & Children | Global Connections
- October 1 – Science Scope | Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking
- October 1 – The Science Teacher | Technology Innovations in Science Teaching
- October 15 – Journal of Computer Assisted Learning | Adoption of Learning Technologies in Times of Pandemic Crisis
- November 15 – Connected Science Learning | Coding, Computer Science, and Computational Thinking
- November 30 – Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education | Learning from Less Successful Professional Development for Mathematics Teachers (Call for Extended Abstracts)
- December 1 – Educational Leadership | From Research to Practice
- December 1 – Journal of Engineering Education | Effects on the Engineering Education Community of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- December 1 – Science & Children | Three-Dimensional Teaching and Learning
- December 1 – Science Scope | Visual Literacy
- December 1 – The Science Teacher | Data and Media Literacy
- January 1 – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Special Issue on Digital Equity and the Digital Divide
- January 15 – Connected Science Learning | Science Communication
- February 1 – Science & Children | The Language of Science
- February 1 – Science Scope | Creativity in the Science Classroom
- February 1 – The Science Teacher | COVID-19 – One Year Later
- February 28 – Teaching Mathematics and its Applications | Restarting the New Normal
- Ongoing – Research in Science Education | Special Issue Proposals
- October 1 – 2021 Atlanta NCTM Annual Meeting & Exposition (Call for Proposals)
- October 9 – 2020 Innovate Learning Summit (Call for Submissions)
- October 9 – 2021 NCME Annual Meeting (Call for Proposals)
- November 1 - 2021 NCSM Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 1 – 2021 SITE Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 30 – 2021 CSEDU International Conferences (Call for Papers)
- October 14 - The Evaluation Center at Western Michigan University: Senior Research Associate
- Until filled – Boston College: Visiting Assistant Professor in Learning Engineering
- Until filled – BSCS Science Learning: Science Educator, Instructional Materials Development
- Until filled – Digital Promise: Learning Sciences and Technology Postdoctoral Researcher
- Until filled – Edfinity: Postdoctoral Position
- Until filled – Utah State University: Assistant or Associate Professor in Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: