This month, we are celebrating International Women's Day and Women's History Month by highlighting women and girls in STEM (@UN_Women; #WomenInScience)! On PI Day (March 14, 2019), NASA sent two women into space to upgrade the International Space Station and almost complete the first-ever all-female spacewalk! Still, UNESCO reports that "low female participation in STEM studies and consequently STEM careers has been a concern voiced by countries around the globe." The National Girls Collaborative Project, originally funded by NSF, includes a science and engineering indicator from the National Science Board in The State of Women and Girls in STEM, which states that "female scientists and engineers are concentrated in different occupations than men, with relatively high shares of women in the social sciences (60%) and life sciences (48%) and relatively low shares in computer and mathematical sciences (26%), and engineering (15%)." This newsletter includes the perspectives of two early career researchers (a CADRE Fellow and postdoc) and the work of DRK-12 projects on women and girls in STEM, an area crucial to broadening participation in STEM.
On the policy side, you can peruse Science & Technology Highlights in the Second Year of the Trump Administration while we wait for Congress' response to the White House's fiscal year 2020 budget, which includes cuts to NSF's requested budget.
Spotlight on Engaging and Supporting Women and Girls in STEM
The number of women earning STEM degrees and choosing STEM occupations has been increasing, according to the National Science Board. Despite these gains, however, gender disparities in STEM occupations remain. This spotlight features DRK-12 projects and early career scholars working on innovative solutions to engage and support women and girls in STEM fields.
STEP UP 4 Women: Supporting Teachers to Encourage the Pursuit of Undergraduate Physics for Women
(PIs: Zahra Hazari, Theodore Hodapp, Robynne Lock, Rebecca Vieyra)
DRK-12 Community Voices
3 Ways Intersectionality Can Help You Predict the Future (Or, At Least Provide Job Security)
Courtney P. Benjamin, PhD Candidate, Washington State University
What Black Women Are Trying to Teach Us: Transforming Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Work in K-12 STEM Education Research, Practice, and Policy
Dr. Terrell Morton, Preparing Future Faculty Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Missouri
Webinar: Evidence Standards for Evaluating Math and Science Programs
Opportunity for Feedback from Your Peers
We have an opening in May for a project to put forward a problem for consideration by their peers in a 1-hour virtual session, modeled after the Science Education at the Crossroads meeting. CADRE will work with project members to identify and recruit participants with relevant experience, as well as host and facilitate the session.
To sign up and participate, you must (1) have a specific challenge in your current work that others in the STEM education community can relate and speak to and (2) prepare a 1-page description of that issue in advance of the session.
Sample topics might include, but are not limited to:
- coordination of project activities across multiple states and constituencies
- effective collaboration between research and instructional design teams
- creation of accessible project materials within a project's budget and time constraints
For an example, a previous session focused on dissemination and sustainability of project results, services, and products.
If you would like to participate, email email@example.com. If we are unable to host your session in May, there will be a waitlist for future openings in the summer and fall.
Consider polishing your presentations this conference season with these tips. Don't forget to bring your business/contact cards. And remember to support our early career researchers by attending their presentations!
Newsbites from NSF, DRK-12, and NSF Networks
News from NSF
- CS Bits & Bytes
This NSF newsletter highlights innovative computer science research, the individuals who do this work, resources for further exploration, and interactive activities.
- Mathematics Education Administrator
New job opportunity at NSF, open until March 29.
News from DRK–12 Projects & Awardees
- Critiques of the Common Core in Early Math: A Research-based Response
Publication | In this Journal for Research in Mathematics Education article, Douglas Clements, Karen Fuson, and Julie Sarama analyze issues of curriculum standards and respond criticisms related to the developmental appropriateness of these standards in the early grades.
- Curriculum and Instruction at Exemplar Inclusive STEM High Schools
Publication | In this Journal of Research in STEM Education article, Erin Peters-Burton, Ann House, Ed Han, and Sharon Lynch analyzed curriculum and instruction at high performing STEM-focused schools with no academic conditions for student admission.
- PK-12 Engineering in the Classroom
Blog | In their LinkedEngineering Blog post, Mihir Ravel and Cary Sneider curate a list of video examples that show how experienced educators are creating engineering experiences.
- Ramp It Up!
Publication | In this Science & Children article, Ashley Lewis Presser, Ximena Dominguez, Marion Goldstein, Regan Vidiksis (2014-15 CADRE Fellow), and Danae Kamdar discuss preschoolers' investigation of force and motion using digital journals.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share news from your project.
News from NSF Networks
- Broadening Perspectives on Broadening Participation in STEM | CAISE
A CAISE task force created a toolkit to support science engagement professionals who are developing strategic efforts to broaden participation in STEM.
- Broadening the Participation of Women in STEM | STELAR
STELAR curated a list of resources on Broadening the Participation of Women in STEM.
- Neuroscience and Cyberlearning: A Convergence Conversation | CIRCL
Watch a recording of the CIRCL webinar on educational neuroscience, featuring Jodi Asbell-Clarke and Ibrahim Dahlstrom-Hakki.
- Webinar: Outcomes Evaluation: Step-by-Step | EvaluATE
Outcome evaluation involves identifying and measuring the changes that occur as a result of project implementation. View a recording of the March 21 webinar on this topic.
See our Upcoming CADRE & NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, EvaluATE, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- April 2 - Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
- May 1 - STEM + Computing K-12 Education (STEM+C)
- May 15 - ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (Letter of intent deadline for May 2019 Adaptation and Partnership competition)
- May 22 - ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (Full proposal deadline for May 2019 Adaptation and Partnership competition)
- June 3 - ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (Full proposal deadline for Catalyst proposals)
- June 7 - ECR Building Capacity in STEM Education Research (ECR: BCSER)
- April 1 - Educational Leadership | What New Teachers Need
- April 1 - Journal of Chemical Education | Special Issue: Reimagining Chemistry Education: Systems Thinking, and Green and Sustainable Chemistry
- April 1 - Science and Children | Take-Home Science
- April 1 - Science Scope | Using Technology for Instruction & Assessment
- April 15 - Connected Science Learning | STEM Mindset
- April 15 - Journal of Research in Science Teaching | Science teaching, learning, and assessment with 21st century, cutting-edge digital ecologies
- May 1 - Science and Children | Tinkering vs. Engineering
- June 1 - Science and Children | Mindful Modeling
- June 1 - Science Scope | Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
- June 3 - Educational Leadership | A Culture of Coaching
- July 1 - Educational Leadership | Building Bridges for ELLs
- July 1 - Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education | Special Issue: Computational Thinking and Coding for Learning in Teacher Education
- Ongoing - Educational Technology Research and Development | Special Issue Proposals
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- April 15 - 2020 National NSTA Conference (Call for Proposals)
- April 18 - 2020 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for Proposals)
- May 15 - 2020 AMTE Conference (Call for Proposals; Submissions open after April 1)
- July 1 - 2020 NCTM Centennial Annual Meeting & Exposition (Call for Proposals; Submissions open April 1)
- Until filled - University of Southern California: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Review of applications began March 10)
- Ongoing - CASIS (International Space Station) Partnering Opportunity
- Until filled - McREL Research and Evaluation Job Openings
- Until filled - The Concord Consortium: Research Assistant in STEM
- Until filled - Tufts University: McDonnell Family Bridge Professor in STEM Education Research (Review of applications began November 2)
- Until filled - University of California, Berkeley, Lawrence Hall of Science: Research Assistant (Review of applications began December 19)
- Until filled - University of Delaware: Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor in Learning Sciences
- Until filled - University of Missouri, Department of Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum: Postdoctoral Fellow
- Until filled - University of Nevada, Reno: Assistant Professor in Computer Science K-12
- Until filled - University of Pennsylvania: Postdoctoral Fellow in the Learning Sciences and Science Education
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
- Dissemination and Sustainability of Project Results, Services, and Products
- Spotlight on Technology-Enhanced Assessment
- DRK-12 Publications, Presentations, and Websites
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.
Subscribe | Create CADRE Account