CADRE launched its Postdoc Professional Growth Opportunity in 2018 as part of its broader efforts to support early career researchers. This program is designed to provide capacity-building opportunities for postdoctoral fellows working in the field of STEM education research. Postdoc candidates are nominated by members of active DRK-12 projects. As part of the program, select postdocs:
- attend the DRK-12 PI Meeting;
- learn about developing NSF proposals;
- build community with postdocs from other insitutions; and
- network with DRK-12 awardees, NSF program directors, and other early career scholars.
Nominations for the 2020 Postdoc Cohort will open in the winter of 2020.
2018 CADRE Postdoc Cohort
In 2018 CADRE selected ten postdocs to attend the DRK-12 PI Meeting and participate in capacity-building activities for early career researchers. At the PI Meeting, these postdocs had the opportunity to participate in topical sessions, network with current DRK-12 awardees, and meet NSF program directors. Together with the CADRE Fellows, the postdocs learned about NSF proposal development and participated in a mock review led by NSF Program Director Rob Ochsendorf. Postdocs also explored various career pathways in STEM education research in conversation with a panel of DRK–12 PIs from academic and non-academic institutions.
Thanks to the DRK-12 project members who nominated candidates, CADRE was able to assemble a group of postdocs with different professional backgrounds and a range of research interests but who share commitment to broadening participation in STEM education. The postdocs were:
- Valeria Aguirre Holguín, New Mexico State University
- Amy Hawkins, University of Utah
- Jennifer King Chen, University of California, Berkeley
- Melissa Kjelvik, Michigan State University
- Karisma Morton, University of Texas at Austin
- Terrell Morton, University of Missouri
- Maria Olivares Pasillas, TERC
- Lindsey Perry, Southern Methodist University
- ReAnna Roby, Michigan State University
- Vecihi Serbay Zambak, Marquette University
Learn more about the postdoc cohort.
Reflections on the 2018 DRK-12 PI Meeting
Postdocs attending the meeting offer their perspective on the theme and key sessions.
- Aligning New Educational Strategies to Evolving Workforce Needs
Author: Amy Hawkins
- Technological Innovations for Mathematics Teacher Preparation
Author: Vecihi Serbay Zambak