- Larsen, S., McCormick, K., Louie, J., Buffington, P. (2018). Using one-to-one mobile technology to support student discourse. In ICME-13 Monographs.
- Bevan, B., Penuel, W. R., Bell, P., & Buffington, P. (2018). Learning, Generalizing, and Local Sense-Making in Research-Practice Partnerships. In Connecting Research and Practice for Educational Improvement Ethical and Equitable Approaches. Routledge.
- Louie, J., & Buffington, P. (2018). 'Figuring it out together': A research-practice partnership to improve early elementary mathematics learning with technology. In B. Bevan & W. Penuel, Connecting research and practice for educational improvement: Ethical and equitable approaches. NY: Routledge.
- Larsen, S., McCormick, K., Buffington, P., & Louie, J. (2017). A collaborative approach to strengthening K-2 mathematical practices with technology. In L. West & M. Boston, Annual perspectives in mathematics education 2017: Reflective and collaborative processes to improve mathematics teaching (pp. 101-108). Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Kunz, G. M., Buffington, P., Schroeder, C. P., Green, R., Mahaffey, R., Widner, J., Hellwege, M., & Howell Smith, M. (2016). Partnership based research approaches. In G. C. Nugent, G. M. Kunz, S. M. Sheridan, T. A. Glover, & L. L. Knoche (Eds.), Rural education research: State of the science and emerging directions. New York, NY: Springer.
This project aims to advance the preparation of preservice teachers in middle school mathematics, specifically on the topic of proportionality, a centrally important and difficult topic in middle school mathematics that is essential to students’ later success in algebra. To address the need for a workforce of high-quality teachers to teach this mathematics, the project is developing a digital text that could be widely used to communicate the unique transitional nature of middle school mathematics.