DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | From 2012–2015, Advanced Placement (AP) science courses underwent a large-scale curricular reform to include more scientific inquiry and reasoning, reduce emphasis on broad content coverage, and focus on depth of understanding, with corresponding changes in high-stakes AP...
- Tool | A compilation of resources to help you think about audience and messaging.
The Impact of Engineering Curriculum Design Principles on Elementary Students’ Engineering and Science LearningPublication | This article reports an efficacy study of an elementary engineering curriculum, Engineering is Elementary, that includes a set of hypothesized critical components designed to encourage student engagement in practices, connect engineering and science learning, and reach...
- Publication | Authors investigate ways to support students in integrating their understanding of density concepts through a graph that is linked to a simulation depicting the relationship between mass, volume, and density.
- Publication | Authors describe an alternative model of online math videos that feature unscripted dialogue of secondary school students, who convey sources of confusion and resolve the dilemmas that arise during problem solving.
Designing Robotics-based Science Lessons Aligned with the Three Dimensions of NGSS-plus-5E Model: A Content AnalysisPublication | In this study, analyzing lesson plans using the rubrics provided opportunities for suggestions and feedback for improvement to developers and it informs the development of new lessons by the project team.
Race to the Top and Lesson Study Implementation in Florida: District Policy and Leadership for Teacher Professional DevelopmentPublication | Based on a mixed methods study of a statewide survey and interviews of district professional development directors, we found that district requirement of lesson study, funding provision, and future sustainability plan were significantly and positively associated with a...
Fostering Video Sharing and Discourse Among STEM Educational Researchers in a Multimodal EnvironmentPublication | This article looks at the 2017 STEM for All Video Showcase, a multimodal environment, that enabled educational researchers to share and discuss short videos depicting their federally-funded work to improve STEM education. In a mixed methods study, authors investigate the...
- Tool | Have you ever fielded a call from a journalist asking for an interview about your work? Was the resulting article and quote(s) what you expected? To make the most of your next opportunity, here are a few tips for when you are the interviewee.
The Effect of Automated Feedback on Revision Behavior and Learning Gains in Formative Assessment of Scientific Argument WritingPublication | This study investigates a formative feedback system integrated into an online science curriculum module teaching climate change.
- Publication | The purpose of this study was to identify affordances and limitations of using order and value comparison tasks versus number placement tasks to infer students’ negative integer understanding and growth in understanding.
Integrating a Space for Teacher Interaction into an Educative Curriculum: Design Principles and Teachers' Use of the iPlan ToolPublication | Authors describe the design principles of iPlan, a web-based tool provides access to educative curriculum materials in an online interactive learning platform, and discuss implications for designing educative and online systems for teacher learning.
Beyond Classroom Academics: A School-Wide and Multi-Contextual Perspective on Student Engagement in SchoolPublication | A school-wide and multi-contextual perspective on student engagement in school.
- Tool | A compilation of resources on potential conferences, presentation tips, and poster advice.
- Publication | This study analyzes the engineering design behaviors of 108 ninth-grade U.S. students using principal component analysis and cluster analysis.
Growth in children’s understanding of generalizing and representing mathematical structure and relationshipsPublication | Authors share results from a quasi-experimental study that examines growth in students’ algebraic thinking practices of generalizing and representing generalizations, particularly with variable notation, as a result of an early algebra instructional sequence implemented...
The Impact of Multimedia Educative Curriculum Materials (MECMs) on Teachers' Beliefs about Scientific ArgumentationPublication | Authors discuss how teachers used MECMs and whether that use impacted their beliefs about the practice of scientific argumentation.
- Tool | Planning to create a website to feature your project's work? Here are some tips and things to think about.
- Publication | This mixed-method study was designed to examine whether middle school students’ in-game actions are likely to promote certain types of learning engagement (i.e., content and cognitive engagement).
Mathematical content knowledge and knowledge for teaching: exploring their distinguishability and contribution to student learningPublication | In this replication and extension study, we explore these issues, drawing on evidence from a multi-year study of over 200 fourth- and fifth-grade US teachers. Exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses of these data suggested a single dimension for teacher knowledge.
- Publication | This chapter describes curricula that use WorldWide Telescope in teaching key topics in Astro 101 and K–12 science, including parallax, Hubble’s Law and large-scale structure in the universe, seasons, Moon phases and eclipses, and life in the universe.
- Presentation | Paper presented at the European Science Education Research Association.
- Presentation | Presentation slides and handout from the 2019 NCTM Regional Conference in Nashville, TN.
Validating a Model for Assessing Science Teacher’s Adaptive Expertise with Computer-Supported Complex Systems Curricula and Its Relationship to Student Learning OutcomesPublication | In this study, the authors propose and validate a model of adaptive expertise needed for teachers to successfully deliver NGSS-informed computer-supported complex systems curricula in high school science classrooms.
- Tool | Explore six early science learning apps and dozens of hands-on activities. Use the digital Teacher's Guide to implement the technology-based science curriculum into preschool classrooms.