DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | In this article, authors demonstrate that line following via multimodal feedback is possible on touchscreens and present guidelines for the presentation of such non-visual graphical concepts.
- Publication | Authors investigate ways to support students in integrating their understanding of density concepts through a graph that is linked to a simulation depicting the relationship between mass, volume, and density.
- Publication | Authors describe an alternative model of online math videos that feature unscripted dialogue of secondary school students, who convey sources of confusion and resolve the dilemmas that arise during problem solving.
Race to the Top and Lesson Study Implementation in Florida: District Policy and Leadership for Teacher Professional DevelopmentPublication | Based on a mixed methods study of a statewide survey and interviews of district professional development directors, we found that district requirement of lesson study, funding provision, and future sustainability plan were significantly and positively associated with a...
- Publication | The purpose of this study was to identify affordances and limitations of using order and value comparison tasks versus number placement tasks to infer students’ negative integer understanding and growth in understanding.
Beyond Classroom Academics: A School-Wide and Multi-Contextual Perspective on Student Engagement in SchoolPublication | A school-wide and multi-contextual perspective on student engagement in school.
Integrating a Space for Teacher Interaction into an Educative Curriculum: Design Principles and Teachers' Use of the iPlan ToolPublication | Authors describe the design principles of iPlan, a web-based tool provides access to educative curriculum materials in an online interactive learning platform, and discuss implications for designing educative and online systems for teacher learning.
Growth in children’s understanding of generalizing and representing mathematical structure and relationshipsPublication | Authors share results from a quasi-experimental study that examines growth in students’ algebraic thinking practices of generalizing and representing generalizations, particularly with variable notation, as a result of an early algebra instructional sequence implemented...
The Impact of Multimedia Educative Curriculum Materials (MECMs) on Teachers' Beliefs about Scientific ArgumentationPublication | Authors discuss how teachers used MECMs and whether that use impacted their beliefs about the practice of scientific argumentation.
Mathematical content knowledge and knowledge for teaching: exploring their distinguishability and contribution to student learningPublication | In this replication and extension study, we explore these issues, drawing on evidence from a multi-year study of over 200 fourth- and fifth-grade US teachers. Exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses of these data suggested a single dimension for teacher knowledge.
The Evidence Based Curriculum Design Framework: Leveraging Diverse Perspectives in the Design ProcessPublication | The ubiquity of touchscreen, mobile tablet technology has resulted in a plethora of “apps for learning” yet few leverage the learning sciences as a design driver. This paper describes our approach to integrating the learning sciences with best practices in app design: a...
- Publication | The authors fuse Universal Design for Learning (UDL), differentiation, and talk moves into three key planning and pedagogy considerations.
- Publication | Test scoring procedures should align with the intended uses and interpretations of test results. In this paper, we examine three test scoring procedures for an operational assessment of early numeracy, the Early Grade Mathematics Assessment (EGMA). Current test...
- Publication | The study examines geometry teachers' video club discussions in a two-year professional development intervention that combined lesson study, video clubs, and animation discussions to promote teacher noticing of students' prior knowledge.
- Publication | This column describes creating a classroom culture for engineering.