DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | In this article, authors describe how we engaged grade 3–5 students in an engineering design activity supported with relevant reading, writing, and talking tasks embedded within the engineering design activity.
- Publication | The imperative that all students, including English learners (ELs), achieve high academic standards and have opportunities to participate in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learning has become even more urgent and complex given shifts in science and...
- Publication | This article describes a tool to build, ensure, and solidify students’ understanding of quantitative relationships.
- Publication | Features approaches for leveraging PCK research in STEM learning across formal and informal settings.
Designing Simulations to Learn About Pre-service Teachers’ Capabilities with Eliciting and Interpreting Student ThinkingPublication | This chapter focuses on the design of simulation assessments to learn about pre-service teachers’ capabilities with eliciting and interpreting student thinking.
- Publication | In this study we examined 5th-grade teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) for 1 particular core idea: the small particle model (SPM) of matter. We assessed teachers’ initial PCK through a lesson plan task, the Content Representation tool, and interviews and then...
- Publication | This study explores how technology can support idea exchanges in ways that value individuals’ prior ideas, and allow students to use these ideas to benefit their own and their peers’ learning.
Transitioning from textbook to classroom instruction in mathematics: The case of an expert Chinese teacherPublication | This study reports how an expert Chinese teacher implements mathematics textbook lessons in enacted instruction.
Opportunities to Participate (OtP) in Science: Examining Differences Longitudinally and Across Socioeconomically Diverse SchoolsPublication | The purpose of this study was to develop and validate a survey of opportunities to participate (OtP) in science that will allow educators and researchers to closely approximate the types of learning opportunities students have in science classrooms.
National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades: Executive SummaryPublication | This executive summary captures the results of the National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades, a study designed and conducted by EDC. T
- Publication | In this study, we examined the relevance of CI in biochemical contexts and first explored the ways in which practicing biochemists consider CI relevant in their work.
Reframing Inclusive Science Instruction to Support Teachers in Promoting Equitable Three-Dimensional Science ClassroomsPublication | In this conceptual article, we reframe inclusive science instruction by examining the literature in science and multicultural education and describe five elements to support teachers in realizing inclusive science instruction as a pedagogical shift.
- Publication | Authors discuss some of the affordances and constraints of using online teaching simulations to support reflection on specific pedagogical actions.
Integrating STEM into Preschool Education: Designing a Professional Development Model in Diverse SettingsPublication | In this article, the authors outline the main components and the iterative design process we undertook to ensure that the professional supports are relevant and effective for teachers and children.
- Publication | Project Accelerate is a partnership program between Boston University (BU) and the nation’s high schools combining the supportive infrastructures from the students’ traditional school with a highly interactive private edX online instructional tool to bring a College Board...