DRK-12 Research and Products
Examining the Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching of Proving in Scenarios Written by Pre-service TeachersPublication | This chapter examines what aspects of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching of Proving (MKT-P) can be observed in written scenarios of classroom interactions, produced by pre-service teachers of mathematics.
- Tool | Dr. Jessica Hunt studies how these children think and learn and is developing novel teaching methods that facilitate mathematics learning for students with learning disabilities.
- Publication | This brief offers insights from National Science Foundation-supported research for education leaders and policymakers who are broadening participation in science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics (STEM). Many of these insights confirm knowledge that has been...
- Publication | The current study investigates two questions: (1) Do screen size and grid density impact a user's accuracy on pattern-matching tasks? (2) Do screen size and grid density impact a user's time on task?
- Publication | Our work suggests re-conceptualization of research concerning students’ over reliance on example-based reasoning, moving from a view of such reasoning as a stumbling block to quickly overcome toward a view of such reasoning as a necessary and critical foundation in learning...
What does it mean to notice my students’ ideas in science today?: An investigation of elementary teachers’ practice of noticing their students’ thinking in sciencePublication | An investigation of elementary teachers’ noticing of students’ ideas and their thinking surrounding their noticing practice.
Evaluation of three interventions teaching area measurement as spatial structuring to young childrenPublication | In this article, authors evaluated the effects of three instructional interventions designed to support young children’s understanding of area measurement as a structuring process.
- Tool | The MEL project has developed a set of teaching resources to support the teaching of controversial and/or complex Earth and space science topics.
- Publication | This brief draws on research supported by the National Science Foundation to highlight important considerations for educators and others who design and provide STEM educational experiences for young children.
Touchscreen-Based Haptic Information Access for Assisting Blind and Visually-Impaired Users: Perceptual Parameters and Design GuidelinesPublication | This paper studies key usability parameters governing accurate rendering of haptically-perceivable graphical materials
The Differential Impact of Two Engineering Professional Development Programs on Elementary Teachers’ Engineering Teaching Efficacy BeliefsPublication | The purpose of this study is to explore to what extent supporting elementary teachers’ PCK about teaching engineering would improve their beliefs that students’ engineering learning can be influenced by effective engineering instruction.
- Publication | This resource provides access to the entire middle school ecosystems unit, along with the EQuIP review.
Examining the career paths of doctorates in mathematics education working in institutions of higher educationPublication | This article focuses on the career paths in higher education taken by 351 doctoral graduates in mathematics education and provides insight into their career path and their resulting workload.
Scaffolding scientific thinking: Students’ evaluations and judgments during Earth science knowledge constructionPublication | The present paper documents a quasi-experimental study where high school Earth science students completed these instructional scaffolds, including an explanation task scored for evaluative levels (erroneous, descriptive, relational, and critical), along with measures of...
- Publication | This article explores how students’ integer value comparisons differed based on question phrasing (which temperature is hottest, most hot, least hot, coldest, most cold, least cold) and on numbers presented (positive, negative, mixed) within the context of temperature.