DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | This study proposes and investigates the effects of a three‐dimensional thinking graph (3DTG) that allows learners to combine in a single image, problem information, subject knowledge (key concepts and their relationships), and the hypothesizing and reasoning process...
- Publication | The present study examined changes in high school biology and technology education pedagogy during the first year of a three-year professional development (PD) program using the INSPIRES educative curriculum.
Promoting Linguistically Diverse Students’ Short-Term and Long-Term Understanding of Chemical Phenomena Using VisualizationsPublication | In this study, we examine the short-term and long-term effects of interactive visualizations in improving linguistically diverse eighth-grade students’ understanding of properties of matter and chemical reactions during inquiry instruction.
- Publication | Effective as of January 2018, NSF's Prospective New Awardee Guide includes information on federal requirements, NSF points of contact and frequently asked questions, grantee standards, and indirect costs.
Moving toward approximations of practice in teacher professional development: Learning to summarize a problem-based lessonPublication | This article focuses on problem-based lessons in teacher professional development.
- Publication | In this article, we draw upon the Conceptual Profile Theory to discuss the negotiation of meanings related to the energy concept in an 11th grade physics classroom.
Fostering high school students’ conceptual understanding and argumentation performance in science through Quality Talk discussionsPublication | The purpose of our quasi‐experimental study was to examine the effectiveness of Quality Talk Science, a professional development model and intervention, in fostering changes in teachers’ and students’ discourse practices as well as their conceptual understanding and...
- Publication | This article focused on equitable mathematics instruction for U.S. and Korean preservice teachers.
- Publication | Using existing literature, authors create a hypothetical framework of cognitive processes associated with studying informal best fit lines and refine the framework using data from a cycle of design-based research about building students’ understanding of covariation.
- Presentation | Exploring how children’s conceptions might advance through their implicit knowledge provides a fundamental view into children’s mathematics and elucidates possible alternative definitions of “learning difference (LD)”. I present an evolving theoretical framework that depict...
- Publication | The goal of this paper is to examine whether having female robotics teachers positively impacts girls’ performance on programming and robotics tasks.
Does student-centered instruction engage students differently? The moderation effect of student ethnicityPublication | This study examined the relationship between student-centered mathematics instruction and adolescents’ behavioral, cognitive, emotional, and social engagement in mathematics and whether the relationship differed by ethnicity.
Teachers’ orientations toward using student mathematical thinking as a resource during whole-class discussionPublication | The purpose of this study is to characterize teachers’ orientations toward using student mathematical thinking as a resource during whole-class instruction.
Science in the LearningGardens: A study of motivation, achievement, and science identity in low-income middle schoolsPublication | This study reports results from 113 students and three science teachers from two low-income urban middle schools participating in SciLG. It highlights the role of students’ views of themselves as competent, related, and autonomous in the garden, as well as their engagement...
Cross-Case Analysis of Engineering Education Experiences in Inclusive STEM-Focused High Schools in the United StatesPublication | The purpose of this paper is to report results of a systematic cross-case analysis exploring the extent of engineering learning opportunities in five exemplar Inclusive STEM High Schools (ISHSs).