DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | Authors discuss insights from research on K-16 climate education.
The Use of Theory in Research on Broadening Participation in PreK–12 STEM Education: Information and guidance for prospective DRK–12 granteesPublication | This paper seeks to provide a resource for prospective DRK-12 awardees by identifying some of the theories that current and recent DRK-12 awardees are using in their research on broadening participation.
Transferring specialized content knowledge to elementary classrooms: Preservice teachers’ learning to teach the associative propertyPublication | This study explores how preservice teachers (PSTs) transfer the intended specialized content knowledge (SCK) to elementary classrooms.
What They Learn When They Learn Coding: Investigating Cognitive Domains and Computer Programming Knowledge in Young ChildrenPublication | This study investigated N = 57 Kindergarten through second grade children’s performance on a programming assessment after engaging in a 6-week curricular intervention called ScratchJr.
- Tool | Funding for the National Science Foundation (NSF) is contingent on legislative support. Because of this, it is important for NSF awardees to communicate with legislators about the value and importance of their projects.
- Publication | In this article, authors describe how we engaged grade 3–5 students in an engineering design activity supported with relevant reading, writing, and talking tasks embedded within the engineering design activity.
- Publication | This conference paper explains how EarSketch affects student persistence.
- Publication | Eight middle school mathematics teachers’ perceptions and uses of curriculum materials and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) were investigated.
- Publication | Features approaches for leveraging PCK research in STEM learning across formal and informal settings.
- Publication | The imperative that all students, including English learners (ELs), achieve high academic standards and have opportunities to participate in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learning has become even more urgent and complex given shifts in science and...
- Publication | This article describes a tool to build, ensure, and solidify students’ understanding of quantitative relationships.
Designing Simulations to Learn About Pre-service Teachers’ Capabilities with Eliciting and Interpreting Student ThinkingPublication | This chapter focuses on the design of simulation assessments to learn about pre-service teachers’ capabilities with eliciting and interpreting student thinking.
- Publication | In this study we examined 5th-grade teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) for 1 particular core idea: the small particle model (SPM) of matter. We assessed teachers’ initial PCK through a lesson plan task, the Content Representation tool, and interviews and then...
Opportunities to Participate (OtP) in Science: Examining Differences Longitudinally and Across Socioeconomically Diverse SchoolsPublication | The purpose of this study was to develop and validate a survey of opportunities to participate (OtP) in science that will allow educators and researchers to closely approximate the types of learning opportunities students have in science classrooms.
- Publication | This study explores how technology can support idea exchanges in ways that value individuals’ prior ideas, and allow students to use these ideas to benefit their own and their peers’ learning.