DRK-12 Research and Products
Integrating a Space for Teacher Interaction into an Educative Curriculum: Design Principles and Teachers' Use of the iPlan ToolPublication | Authors describe the design principles of iPlan, a web-based tool provides access to educative curriculum materials in an online interactive learning platform, and discuss implications for designing educative and online systems for teacher learning.
Beyond Classroom Academics: A School-Wide and Multi-Contextual Perspective on Student Engagement in SchoolPublication | A school-wide and multi-contextual perspective on student engagement in school.
Growth in children’s understanding of generalizing and representing mathematical structure and relationshipsPublication | Authors share results from a quasi-experimental study that examines growth in students’ algebraic thinking practices of generalizing and representing generalizations, particularly with variable notation, as a result of an early algebra instructional sequence implemented...
The Impact of Multimedia Educative Curriculum Materials (MECMs) on Teachers' Beliefs about Scientific ArgumentationPublication | Authors discuss how teachers used MECMs and whether that use impacted their beliefs about the practice of scientific argumentation.
Mathematical content knowledge and knowledge for teaching: exploring their distinguishability and contribution to student learningPublication | In this replication and extension study, we explore these issues, drawing on evidence from a multi-year study of over 200 fourth- and fifth-grade US teachers. Exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses of these data suggested a single dimension for teacher knowledge.
- Publication | In this study we investigate the teaching of the associative property in a natural classroom setting through observation of classroom video of several elementary math classes in a large urban school district.
- Publication | The study examines geometry teachers' video club discussions in a two-year professional development intervention that combined lesson study, video clubs, and animation discussions to promote teacher noticing of students' prior knowledge.
- Publication | In this article, students use data and models to make a difference in their own school yard.
- Publication | Test scoring procedures should align with the intended uses and interpretations of test results. In this paper, we examine three test scoring procedures for an operational assessment of early numeracy, the Early Grade Mathematics Assessment (EGMA). Current test...
- Publication | The authors fuse Universal Design for Learning (UDL), differentiation, and talk moves into three key planning and pedagogy considerations.
- Tool | Planning to submit an NSF proposal this year? This toolkit is a compilation of helpful resources.
- Publication | This column describes creating a classroom culture for engineering.
The Evidence Based Curriculum Design Framework: Leveraging Diverse Perspectives in the Design ProcessPublication | The ubiquity of touchscreen, mobile tablet technology has resulted in a plethora of “apps for learning” yet few leverage the learning sciences as a design driver. This paper describes our approach to integrating the learning sciences with best practices in app design: a...
- Publication | The study’s purpose is to describe content validity evidence related to new problem-solving measures currently under development.
Teachers’ Noticing of Students’ Thinking in Science Through Classroom Artifacts: In What Ways Are Science and Engineering Practices Evident?Publication | Building on the work of teacher noticing, this study investigated teachers’ noticing of students’ thinking evident in artifacts from their science teaching context.