DRK-12 Research and Products
- Tool | The MEL project has developed a set of teaching resources to support the teaching of controversial and/or complex Earth and space science topics.
Evaluation of three interventions teaching area measurement as spatial structuring to young childrenPublication | In this article, authors evaluated the effects of three instructional interventions designed to support young children’s understanding of area measurement as a structuring process.
Touchscreen-Based Haptic Information Access for Assisting Blind and Visually-Impaired Users: Perceptual Parameters and Design GuidelinesPublication | This paper studies key usability parameters governing accurate rendering of haptically-perceivable graphical materials
- Tool | Tool for conducting classroom discussions.
- Publication | This brief draws on research supported by the National Science Foundation to highlight important considerations for educators and others who design and provide STEM educational experiences for young children.
Examining the career paths of doctorates in mathematics education working in institutions of higher educationPublication | This article focuses on the career paths in higher education taken by 351 doctoral graduates in mathematics education and provides insight into their career path and their resulting workload.
Scaffolding scientific thinking: Students’ evaluations and judgments during Earth science knowledge constructionPublication | The present paper documents a quasi-experimental study where high school Earth science students completed these instructional scaffolds, including an explanation task scored for evaluative levels (erroneous, descriptive, relational, and critical), along with measures of...
- Publication | This resource provides access to the entire middle school ecosystems unit, along with the EQuIP review.
The Differential Impact of Two Engineering Professional Development Programs on Elementary Teachers’ Engineering Teaching Efficacy BeliefsPublication | The purpose of this study is to explore to what extent supporting elementary teachers’ PCK about teaching engineering would improve their beliefs that students’ engineering learning can be influenced by effective engineering instruction.
- Publication | Using structural equation modeling, the researchers test a path model of various physics identity constructs, extending an earlier, established model. In this paper, they also compare a preliminary structural analysis of students' physics identities before and after...
- Publication | This article describes a four-step strategy used in our professional development program to help elementary science teachers recognize and create lesson plans with coherent conceptual storylines.
- Presentation | NSF program directors provides information on the DRK-12 program and solicitation in this webinar series.
- Presentation | In this study we investigate the teaching of the associative property in a natural classroom setting through observation of classroom video of several elementary math classes in a large urban school district.
- Publication | This resource provides access to a classroom video of a lesson from the project's middle school ecosystems unit, and the related student scaffold and scoring rubric.
- Publication | This article explores how students’ integer value comparisons differed based on question phrasing (which temperature is hottest, most hot, least hot, coldest, most cold, least cold) and on numbers presented (positive, negative, mixed) within the context of temperature.