DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | Shifting people’s judgments toward the scientific involves teaching them to purposefully evaluate connections between evidence and alternative explanations.
- Publication | This article describes how research-based learning progressions can be used to enhance the analysis and response to student work.
- Publication | Preschoolers investigate force and motion with a digital journal.
Mentoring the Mentors: Hybridizing Professional Development to Support Cooperating Teachers’ Mentoring Practice in SciencePublication | This article describes key features of a hybrid professional development (PD) program that was designed to prepare elementary classroom teachers to mentor preservice teachers for effective science instruction.
- Publication | This article focuses on the impacts of a program designed to prepare elementary classroom teachers to mentor preservice teachers for effective science instruction.
- Tool | If you are developing a project communication plan, use these guiding questions to help you plan your approach and timeline for communicating about your work.
- Tool | The INSPIRES project revised the RTOP rubric for use in engineering classrooms. The RTOP rubric was original developed for assessing lesson design and implementation, content-propositional knowledge, procedural knowledge, classroom culture, and student-teacher relationships.
The Role of Simulation-Enabled Design Learning Experiences on Middle School Students’ Self-generated Inherence HeuristicsPublication | This article describes the effect of simulation-enabled Learning by Design learning experiences on student-generated heuristics that can lead to solutions to problems.
- Publication | The purpose of this study is to investigate students’ experimentation strategies while they work on a design challenge.
- Presentation | Watch this webinar recording with experts from the American Institutes for Research (AIR) for an engaging webinar about evidence standards.
- Publication | Based on a teacher survey of lesson study, this study found that facilitators’ focus on student thinking, the quality of materials, and duration of lesson study were significantly associated with teacher participation in an effective inquiry process, which in turn is...
Characterizing the Interplay of Cognitive and Metacognitive Knowledge in Computational Modeling and Simulation PracticesPublication | Authors discuss student dimensions of expertise when engaged in modeling and simulation practices and describe how students used their cognitive and metacognitive knowledge to approach a computational challenge.
Race to the Top and Lesson Study Implementation in Florida: District Policy and Leadership for Teacher Professional DevelopmentPublication | Based on a mixed methods study of a statewide survey and interviews of district professional development directors, we found that district requirement of lesson study, funding provision, and future sustainability plan were significantly and positively associated with a...
- Publication | Authors describe an alternative model of online math videos that feature unscripted dialogue of secondary school students, who convey sources of confusion and resolve the dilemmas that arise during problem solving.
Beyond Classroom Academics: A School-Wide and Multi-Contextual Perspective on Student Engagement in SchoolPublication | A school-wide and multi-contextual perspective on student engagement in school.