The National Academies report, Call to Action for Science Education: Building Opportunity for the Future, calls on communities across our nation to provide time, materials, and resources to support PreK-16 science education and the development of science knowledge and scientific thinking that are essential for democracy and the future STEM workforce. DRK-12 plays an important role in helping our communities improve science education, including data science education. During the NSF Welcome at the DRK-12 PI Meeting, program lead Dr. Mike Steele noted an increasing number of DRK-12 awards to projects focusing on data science. On October 8, NSF is hosting a town hall meeting on this growing area of interest. Register early to join the town hall and offer your input on future research in this field.
Congratulations to the newest 2021 DRK-12 awardees, who we welcome into our research community. If you are submitting a proposal for the next DRK-12 deadline in October, be sure you’re familiar with the recent revision of the PAPPG and Research.gov. You can no longer submit proposals through Fastlane. To hear additional tips and guidelines about DRK-12 proposals and submission, watch the recordings or review the slides from two recent solicitation webinars led by Mike Steele.
We also want to congratulate DRK-12 awardees who have collectively written and published a lot this past year. In case you have some time to catch up with those articles and books, here is a summer reading list. Or for a quicker overview of projects, you can visit project posters from the recent DRK-12 PI meeting, which are now on the CADRE website.
With sadness, we share that Bob Moses has passed away. He was an important civil rights activist, teacher, founder of the Algebra Project, and DRK-12 awardee. His work in mathematics literacy for all young people inspired an Algebra Project network and the work of many NSF awards.
The CADRE Team
News from NSF
News from NSF Networks
New DRK-12 Awardees
Congratulations to the newest DRK-12 awardees and welcome to our community! We look forward to getting to know you and hearing about your work as it progresses.
You can also sort new projects by their start date on cadrek12.org.
DRK-12 Solicitation Webinar Resources
If you missed the NSF-led webinars on DRK-12 Solicitation 20-572 or would like a refresher, the webinar materials are now available and posted in the NSF Proposal Toolkit.
Summer Reading List
CADRE has compiled a list of recent (2020 and 2021) publications affiliated with DRK-12 projects. Filter by grade level, content area, and/or topical focus to find reading pertinent to your interests.
We also invite you to explore an impressive list of STEM education publications authored by early career researchers in the CADRE community (CAREER awardees, CADRE Fellows, and CADRE Postdocs). Find them in our Early Career News section.
Visit our DRK-12 Research and Products page to explore CADRE's full collection of project resources. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have project resources to add.
Since the PI meeting, CADRE has been reviewing the meeting materials and working to create opportunities for further dissemination and discussion.
- Virtual Poster Hall: To further disseminate your work, a virtual poster hall has been created on cadrek12.org, which is open to the public.
- Session Recordings: Additional session recordings have all been posted to the event site (you must be logged in to view). The featured presentations are now open to the public on CADRE’s YouTube Channel! View Playlist.
As a reminder, the session materials will be available on the event site (when logged in) until June 2022. If you are on an active DRK-12 project but were not able to attend the meeting and would like access to the event site to view recordings and session materials, please fill out this form.
Project Tip: Organizing a Panel Session
Designing an effective conference session isn’t easy, but presenters of a recent DRK-12 PI Meeting session shared examples of how one lead session designer prepared for and organized their panel discussion, including requesting 1-2 seminal publications/resources from each panelist. Read more in our latest blog!
News from NSF
- A new solicitation for NSF's Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL) program has been released.
- NSF encourages community comments during the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and the Scientific Integrity Task Force’s virtual listening sessions on July 28-30. Learn more and register for sessions on Communications, Science and Education, and Use of Scientific and Technical Information.
- NSF's Directorate for Education and Human Resources (EHR) will hold a town hall meeting to stimulate a national conversation on the topic of Data Science in Education on October 8, 2021 from 10 AM – 3:45 PM ET.
- The EHR Racial Equity in STEM Education program invites potential reviewers to complete an interest survey using the following link: Reviewer Interest Survey.
- The next NSF EHR Advisory Committee Meeting will take place on August 2. Read the agenda and register here.
News from NSF Networks
- EvaluATE is hosting a free webinar on Logic Models, August 18 from 1-2 PM ET.
- In a recent podcast, NSF INCLUDES spoke with NSF's Karen Marrongelle about collective impact strategies that have been successful in broadening participation in STEM education & careers.
- STELAR is offering an opportunity to ask procedural, budget, and technical questions about proposals to NSF's Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST) program on August 3 at 12 PM ET.
News from DRK-12 Projects and Awardees
Career & Professional Development
- An Asset-based Perspective on Prospective Teacher Education | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Author: Alison Castro Superfine
- An Engineering Funds of Knowledge Framework | Science & Children
Authors: Kathleen Schenkel (2016-17 CADRE Fellow), Angela Calabrese Barton, Chelsey Wiersma, Olivia Eiden, Edna Tan, and Scott Calabrese Barton
- “Courageous Self‐Examination and Radical STEM Overhaul”: Fostering a Racially Just STEM Education Through Black, Brown, Bruised | Science Education
Author: Terrell R. Morton (2018 CADRE Postdoc)
- Experimental Impacts of Learning Trajectory–Oriented Formative Assessment on Student Problem-Solving Accuracy and Strategy Sophistication | Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
Authors: Jonathan A. Supovitz, Caroline B. Ebby, Janine T. Remillard, and Robert Nathenson
- Formatively Assessing Prospective Teachers’ Skills in Leading Mathematics Discussions | Educational Studies in Mathematics
- Authors: Meghan Shaughnessy, Nicole M. Garcia, Michaela Krug O’Neill, Sarah Kate Selling, Amber T. Willis (2021 CADRE Postdoc), Charles E. Wilkes II, Sabrina Bobsin Salazar, and Deborah Loewenberg Ball
- Gender Differences in Classroom Experiences Impacting Self-Efficacy in an AP Physics 1 Classroom | Physical Review Physics Education Research
Authors: Marta R. Stoeckel and Gillian H. Roehrig
- Going Viral: Using Technology in the Classroom to Show the Spreading of Viruses | Science Scope
Authors: Laura C. Todd and Brooke A. Whitworth
- Growing TTULPs Through Your Lessons | Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12
Authors: Jonathan D. Bostic, Brooks Vostal, and Timothy Folger
- Harmonious or Disjointed?: Epistemological Framing and Its Role in an Integrated Science and Engineering Activity | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Jennifer Schellinger (2019-20 CADRE Fellow), Lama Z. Jaber, and Sherry A. Southerland
- Modeling Magnetism with the Floating Paper Clip | Science Scope
Authors: Sarah Braden, Lauren Barth-Cohen, Sara Gailey, and Tamara Young
- Net.Create: Network Visualization to Support Collaborative Historical Knowledge Building | International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning
Authors: Kalani Craig, Joshua Danish, Megan Humburg (2020-21 CADRE Fellow), Cindy Hmelo-Silver, Maksymilian Szostalo, and Ann McCranie
- Professional Development to Support Principals' Vision of Science Instruction: Building from Their Prior Experiences to Support the Science Practices | Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Authors: Katherine L. McNeill, Rebecca Lowenhaupt, Kevin Cherbow, and Benjamin R. Lowell
- Remote Labs 2.0 to the Rescue: Doing Science in a Pandemic | The Science Teacher
Authors: Rundong Jiang, Chenglu Li, Xudong Huang, Shannon Sung, and Charles Xie
- Special Educators’ Knowledge of Student Mathematical Thinking | Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Authors: Jessica H. Hunt, Kristi Martin, Blain Patterson, and Andy Khounmeuang
- Teachers’ Attention to and Flexibility with Referent Units| International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
Authors: Yasemin Copur-Gencturk and İbrahim Burak Ölmez
- The Development of ePCK of Newly Hired In-field and Out-of-field Teachers during Their First Three Years of Teaching | European Journal of Teacher Education
Authors: Harleen Singh, Julie A. Luft, Jessica B. Napier
- Under the Sea: Promoting Visual Literacy Through Image Analysis | Science Scope
Authors: Jayma Koval, Sabrina Grossman, and Marion Usselman
- You Are What You Assess: The Case for Emphasizing Chemistry on Chemistry Assessments | Journal of Chemical Education
Authors: Ryan L. Stowe, Leah J. Scharlott, Vanessa R. Ralph, Nicole M. Becker, and Melanie M. Cooper
Do you have news to share? Email email@example.com.
- August 2, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Adaptation and Partnership Proposals (Letter of Intent)
- August 6, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Catalyst Proposals (Full Proposal)
- August 13, 2021 – NSF | Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST)
- August 25, 2021 – NSF | Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI Program)
- September 8, 2021 – NSF | Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Preliminary Proposal)
- September 14, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Targeted Infusion Projects; Broadening Participation Research Projects; Implementation Projects; ACE Implementation Projects (Letter of Intent)
- October 4, 2021 – NSF | Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) (Letter of Intent)
- October 5, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Excellence in Research (HBCU- EiR) (Full Proposal)
- October 6, 2021 – NSF | Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- October 7, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Institutional Transformation Proposals (Full Proposal)
- October 7, 2021 – NSF | EHR Core Research (ECR)
- October 12, 2021 – NSF | Racial Equity in STEM Education (EHR Racial Equity)
- October 18, 2021 – NSF | Research on Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning (RETTL)
- November 3, 2021 – NSF | ADVANCE: Organizational Change for Gender Equity in STEM Academic Professions (ADVANCE) - Partnership and Adaptation Proposals (Full Proposal)
- November 11, 2021 – NSF | Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) - Targeted Infusion Projects; Broadening Participation Research Projects; Implementation Projects; ACE Implementation Projects (Full Proposal)
For more NSF funding opportunities, see CADRE's list of Upcoming NSF DRL EHR Solicitation Deadlines.
- Ongoing – Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12 | Transitioning to a Postpandemic World
- August 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Information Processing
- August 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Creating a Classroom Community
- August 9, 2021 – Cultural Studies of Science Education | Reflecting on Freire: A Praxis of Radical Love and Critical Hope for Science Education
- August 31, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Equity Every Day
- September 1, 2021 – Educational Technology & Society | Learning at the Intersection of Data Literacy and Social Justice
- September 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | (Re)connecting the STEM Learning Ecosystem: Lessons from the Pandemic
- September 15, 2021 – Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics (TEEMS) | Antiracism in Mathematics Education
- September 30, 2021 – Sustainability | Educational Technologies
- October 1, 2021 – Science & Children | Fostering Scientific Literacy
- October 1, 2021 – Science Scope | Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits
- October 24, 2021 – Learning, Media & Technology | Rethinking the Boundaries of Learning in a Digital Age (Abstract Deadline)
- October 31, 2021 – Educational Leadership | Feedback for Impact
- November 15, 2021 – Connected Science Learning | Preparing and Supporting STEM Educators in Informal and Formal Settings
- December 1, 2021 (Submission Opens) – Journal of Engineering Education | Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses in Engineering Education
- December 1, 2021 – Journal of Geoscience Education | In Our VOICES: Voices Integrating Culture in the Earth Sciences
- December 1, 2021 – Science Scope | MS-PS3: Energy
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- July 27, 2021 – 2022 CoSN Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- August 31, 2021 – 2022 Science Education for Equity, Diversity and Social Justice (SEEDS) International Conference (Call for Proposals)
- September 5, 2021 – 2022 RCML Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- September 14, 2021 – 2022 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for Poster Abstracts)
- October 1, 2021 – 2022 NCTM Annual Meeting & Exposition (Call for Proposals)
- October 17, 2021 – 2022 SITE Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- November 30, 2021 – 2022 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Papers)
- December 20, 2021 – 2022 International CSEDU Conference (Call for Session and Workshop Proposals)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
Career & Professional Development
- August 15, 2021 – University of Colorado Boulder: Professional Research Assistant
- August 15, 2021 – University of Colorado Boulder: Research Associate
- September 1, 2021 – Georgia State University, Department of Educational Policy Studies: Assistant/Associate Professor of Qualitative Research
- September 1, 2021 – Georgia State University, Department of Educational Policy Studies: Assistant Professor of Quantitative Research
- September 30, 2021 – ARIS Center Fellowship Program 2022: Call for Fellows
- October 15, 2021 – California State University, Long Beach: Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
- Until filled – Auburn University: Postdoctoral Researcher, Biology Education (Application review began July 1, 2021)
- Until filled – Boston College: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Science Education
- Until filled – Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Until filled – Florida State University: Postdoctoral Scholar
- Until filled – Georgia State University: Assistant Professor of Elementary Mathematics Education (Application review begins September 15, 2021)
- Until filled – Harvard University: Senior Faculty Position in Teacher Learning and Practice (Application review began February 22, 2021)
- Until filled – Texas State University: Postdoc in STEM Education (Application review began April 23, 2021)
- Until filled – The Franklin Institute: Director of Education Programs
- Until filled – University of Colorado Boulder: Postdoctoral Associate
- Until filled – University of Colorado Boulder: Professional Research Assistant (Application review begins July 19, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Florida: Research Scientist - Chief Equity Officer and Mathematics Principal (Application review began April 5, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maine: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Application review began April 1, 2021)
- Until filled – University of Maryland: PDS Secondary Math Ed Coordinator
- Until filled – Wayne State University: Detroit Education Research Partnership Postdoctoral Fellowship
For job, funding, and capacity-building opportunities for doctoral students, postdocs, and other early career scholars, visit our Early Career News & Opportunities page.
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements: