This project will investigate how high school students can be supported in developing, organizing and using knowledge of atomic/molecular behavior to make sense of phenomena such as phase changes, atomic emmision spectra and dissolution. The project will study whether an innovative college level curriculum, "Chemistry, Life, the Universe and Everything" (CLUE) can be co-modified by teachers, chemists, and researchers to help students master these difficult concepts and connections.
Citations of DRK-12 or Related Work (DRK-12 work is denoted by *):
- Stowe, R. L., Herrington, D. G., McKay, R. L., & Cooper, M. M. (2019). Adapting a Core-Idea Centered Undergraduate General Chemistry Curriculum for Use in High School. Journal of Chemical Education, 96, 1318-1326.*
- Stowe, R. L., Herrington, D. G., McKay, R. L., & Cooper, M. M. (2019). The Impact of Core-Idea Centered Instruction on High School Students’ Understanding of Structure-Property Relationships. Journal of Chemical Education, 96, 1327-1340.*
- Stowe, R. L. & Cooper, M. M. (2017). Practicing What We Preach: Assessing ‘Critical Thinking’ in Organic chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education, 94, 1852-1859.
- Stowe, R. L. & Cooper, M. M. (2019). Arguing from Spectroscopic Evidence. Journal of Chemical Education.
- Stowe, R. L. & Cooper, M. M. (2019). Assessment in Chemistry Education. Israel Journal of Chemistry, 59, 1-11.