Dissemination and Sustainability of Project Results, Services, and Products
CADRE was contacted by an awardee seeking input from the DRK-12 research community about how to support the dissemination and sustainability of her project's products, an issue familiar to most of us. In response, CADRE organized a one-hour session, modeled after the Science Education at the Crossroads meetings organized by John Settlage and Adam Johnston. The online session built on the expertise offered during the From Pilots to Products session at the 2018 DRK-12 PI Meeting. A group of eight participants joined the online session to address this challenge and share their experiences. As one participant reflected afterwards, "This is clearly an issue we are all struggling with, at different levels and in different ways, and it was great to have the opportunity to discuss in a focused way."
- From Pilots to Products: Notes from a Gathering of Researchers and Developers at the 2018 DRK-12 PI Meeting
- Research and Product Dissemination and Sustainability: Approaches and Considerations
Spotlight on Technology-Enhanced Assessment
- Projects applying the methods described in the 2012 report
- Projects designing more equitable assessments for underserved populations
- Projects empowering teachers with new formative assessment tools and practices
This spotlight offers reflections from James Lester, one of the report's original authors, on how the field has evolved; highlights 5 projects' current work; and provides additional resources for those who wish to learn more.
DRK-12 Publications, Presentations, and Websites
- 17th Annual Keefe-Bruyette Symposium; Hartford, CT
- 2019 FabLearn Conference; New York City, NY
- 2019 International Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning; Lyon, France
- 37th National Conference on Magnet Schools; Baltimore, MD
- American Chemical Society 2019 ACS National Meeting & Expo; Orlando, FL
- American Educational Research Association 2019 AERA Annual Meeting; Toronto, ON, Canada
- American Society for Engineering Education 2019 ASEE Annual Conference; Tampa, FL
- European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction 18th Biennial EARLI Conference; Aachen, Germany
- European Science Education Research Association 2019 ESERA Conference; Bologna, Italy
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching 2019 Annual International NARST Conference; Baltimore, MD
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2019 NCTM Annual Meeting & Exposition; San Diego, CA
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2019 NCTM Research Conference; San Diego, CA
- National Council on Measurement in Education 2019 NCME Annual Meeting; Toronto, ON, Canada
- National Science Teachers Association 2019 National NSTA Conference; St. Louis, MO
- Research Council on Mathematics Learning 2019 RCML Annual Conference; Charlotte, NC
- Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education 2019 SITE International Conference; Las Vegas, NV
- Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness SREE Spring 2019 Conference; Washington, DC
View all submissions—new publications, upcoming presentations, and project websites—in Excel spreadsheets. Presentations by CADRE Fellows are denoted by an asterisk.
Newsbites from NSF, DRK-12, and NSF Networks
News from NSF
- Dear Colleague Letter: Detail Opportunity for Acting Deputy Division Director, Division of Research on Learning in Formal and Informal Settings (DRL), Directorate for Education and Human Resources (EHR) (Closes: 3/4/2019)
NSF is offering a detail opportunity to serve as the acting deputy division director in DRL EHR.
- Dear Colleague Letter: Division of Human Resource Development (HRD), Directorate for Education and Human Resources (EHR) - Employment Opportunity (Open Until Filled)
NSF seeks a temporary program director in the Excellence Awards in Science and Engineering (EASE) Program. In addition, the position will entail program director responsibilities in the Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program (Noyce) or Advanced Technological Education (ATE) program in the Division of Undergraduate Education (DUE).
- Dear Colleague Letter: Expanding the NSF INCLUDES National Network
NSF welcomes supplemental funding requests related to NSF INCLUDES from active projects.
News from DRK–12 Projects & Awardees
- Aligning Test Scoring Procedures with Test Uses: A Balancing Act
Publication | Leanne Ketterlin Geller, Lindsey Perry (CADRE postdoc), Linda Platas, and Yasmin Sitabkhana co-authored this Global Education Review article on examining scoring procedures for early grades mathematics assessments.
- Episode 1901: Zandra de Araujo
Podcast | In this Math ed podcast, Zandra de Araujo talks about the article "English learners in K-12 mathematics education: A review of the literature."
Governor Names Public Education Secretary, Plus Five Assistants
In the News | Former CADRE Fellow, Karen Trujillo, was selected by New Mexico Governor Grisham for the role of secretary of public education.
Most and Least: Differences in Integer Comparisons Based on Temperature Comparison Language
Publication | CAREER awardee Laura Bofferding and Sherri Farmer co-authored this International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education article.
- Science and Engineering for Grades 6-12: Investigation and Design at the Center
Publication | Nancy Songer contributed to this National Academies report on how to engage today's middle and high school students in doing science and engineering.
Sixteen Scholars Elected to Membership in the National Academy Of Education
Awards and Recognition | Joe Krajcik and Bill Penuel were 2 of 16 education scholars elected to membership in the National Academy of Education (NAEd).
Teachers' Framing of Argumentation Goals: Working Together to Develop Individual Versus Communal Understanding
Publication | 2015-16 Fellow María González-Howard and Katherine McNeill co-authored this Journal of Research in Science Teaching article.
- Thinking Scientifically in a Changing World
Publication | Doug Lombardi recently wrote an American Psychological Association brief on his team's work focused on teaching students to purposefully evaluate connections between evidence and alternative explanations.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share news from your project.
News from NSF Networks
- Documenting Connectivity Between ISE and Science Communication: Two Studies from CAISE
CAISE conducted two baseline studies on where the fields of informal STEM education (ISE) and science communication (SciComm) diverge and converge.
See our Upcoming CADRE & NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- April 2 - Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
- March 1 - Science and Children | Cultivating Classroom Conversations
- March 1 - Science Scope | ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
- March 15 - Educational Leadership | High-Powered Teams
- April 1 - Educational Leadership | What New Teachers Need
- April 1 - Journal of Chemical Education | Special Issue: Reimagining Chemistry Education: Systems Thinking, and Green and Sustainable Chemistry
- April 1 - Science and Children | Take-Home Science
- April 1 - Science Scope | Using Technology for Instruction & Assessment
- April 15 - Connected Science Learning | STEM Mindset
- May 1 - Science and Children | Tinkering vs. Engineering
- July 1 - Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education | Special Issue: Computational Thinking and Coding for Learning in Teacher Education
- Ongoing - Educational Technology Research and Development | Special Issue Proposals
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's list of Publications for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- March 8 - Connected Learning Summit 2019 (Call for Proposals)
- April 15 - 2020 National NSTA Conference (Call for Proposals)
- April 18 - 2020 AAAS Annual Meeting (Call for Proposals)
- Until 3/12 - Science Assistant, NSF
- Until filled - University of Missouri, Department of Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum: Postdoctoral Fellow
- Ongoing - CASIS (International Space Station) Partnering Opportunity
- Until filled - Digital Promise: Senior Research Scientist
- Until filled - McREL Research and Evaluation Job Openings
- Until filled - The Concord Consortium: Research Assistant in STEM
- Until filled - The Concord Consortium: Senior Research Project Manager
- Until filled - Tufts University: McDonnell Family Bridge Professor in STEM Education Research (Review of applications began November 2)
- Until filled - University of California, Berkeley, Lawrence Hall of Science: Research Assistant (Review of applications began December 19)
- Until filled - University of California, Berkeley: Postdoctoral Scholar for WISE: The Web-based Inquiry Science Environment
- Until filled - University of Delaware: Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor in Learning Sciences
- Until filled - University of Nevada, Reno: Assistant Professor in Computer Science K-12
- Until filled - University of Pennsylvania: Postdoctoral Fellow in the Learning Sciences and Science Education
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.