- Businger, S. Nogelmeier, P., Chinn, P. & Schroeder, T. (2018). Hurricane with a History: Hawaiian newspapers illuminate an 1871 storm. Bulletin American Meteorological Society.*
- Semken, S., Ward, E. G., Moosavi, S., & Chinn, P. W. U. (2017). Place-based education in Geoscience: Theory, research, practice, and assessment: Literature review. Journal of Geoscience Education.*
- Chinn, P. W. U. (Forthcoming). Integrating Place, Indigenous and Western Science: Implications for Teacher Agency, Expertise, and Identity Culture Studies in Science Education.*
- ED51C-0849 - Professional Development through Community and Curricular Mapping: Creating Place-Based, Culturally Sustaining STEAM Curricula Incorporating Place, Culture, Heritage Language, and Science, AGU Annual Meeting, Dec. 9-13, 2019, San Francisco, CA*
- STEM Teaching Tool 57. How place-based science education strategies can support equity for students, teachers, and communities March 2019*
This project will integrate Native Hawaiian cross-cultural practices to explore ways to help teachers know about and know how to connect resources of students' familiar worlds to their science teaching. This project will transform the ways teachers orient their teaching at the upper elementary and middle grades through professional development courses offered at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.