- I, J. & Son, J. (2019). Preservice teachers’ lesson plan adaptation for emergent bilinguals. The New Educator, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/1547688X.2019.1687795
- I, J. & de Araujo, Z. (2019). An examination of monolingual teachers’ enactment of cognitively demanding mathematics tasks with multilingual students. Research in Mathematics Education, 21(2), 208-228. https://doi.org/10.1080/14794802.2019.1615980
- I, J. (2019). Preservice teachers’ mathematics task modification for emergent bilinguals. School Science and Mathematics, 119(3), 127–141. https://doi.org/10.1111/ssm.12325
- I, J. & Stanford, J. (2018). Preservice teachers’ mathematical visual implication for emergent bilinguals. Mathematics Teacher Educator, 7(1), 8-33. https://doi.org/10.5951/mathteaceduc.7.1.0008
- I, J., Chang, H., & Son, J.-W. (2019). Rethinking the teaching mathematics for emergent bilinguals: Korean teacher perspectives and practices in culture, language, and mathematics. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-0966-7
This project will support teacher capacity for implementing mathematical modeling lessons by engaging teachers in co-planning and co-teaching with researchers skilled in Emergent Bilingual (EB) mathematics instruction. The outcomes of this project will be a framework for teaching mathematical modeling to EB students, teacher professional development materials that can be used widely to support EB mathematics teachers, and a massive open online course (MOOC) for teachers to support their continued learning about teaching mathematics modeling to EB students.