October was National Disabilities Awareness Month, and December 3 is International Day of Disabled Persons. So this month, CADRE is featuring DRK-12 projects studying STEM education for children and youth with disabilities. In addition to this month's Spotlight, you might also visit CADRE's dissemination toolkit for information and resources about developing accessible products and communications.
CADRE rang in November by hosting the 2018-19 CADRE Fellows during their orientation at EDC in Waltham, MA. We look forward to meeting with them throughout the year and inviting DRK-12 awardees to share their expertise and experiences.
Students with Disabilities
The U.S. Department of Education reports that more than 6.5 million children and youth were served under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) from 2016-17, the majority of whom qualified with health impairments, specific learning disabilities, and/or speech or language impairments.
This Spotlight features DRK-12 projects that are researching and developing approaches and tools to support STEM teaching and learning for students with disabilities.
- CAREER: Fraction Activities and Assessments for Conceptual Teaching (FAACT) for Students with Learning Disabilities (PI: Jessica Hunt)
- Developing Preservice Teachers' Capacity to Teach Students with Learning Disabilities in Algebra I (PI: Casey Hord)
- Perceptual and Implementation Strategies for Knowledge Acquisition of Digital Tactile Graphics for Blind and Visually Impaired Students (PIs: Nicholas Giudice, Jenna Gorlewicz, Derrick Smith, and Andreas Stefik)
- Strengthening Mathematics Intervention: Identifying and Addressing Challenges to Improve Instruction for Struggling Learners (PI: Amy Brodesky)
- and more.
New NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) Released
NSF issued a revised version of the NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG 19-1), effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 28, 2019.
For an overview of the changes, view a recording of the November 27th NSF webinar on the new PAPPG.
Tip: Sign up for NSF's Proposal and Award Policy Newsletter
2019 STEM for All Video Showcase
Save the date! The 2019 Video Showcase will be held May 13-20, 2019.
Newsbites from DRK–12 & NSF
We are pleased to share news from NSF, DRK–12 projects and people, as well as our sister resource networks who serve other NSF funding programs (ATECentral, CAISE, CIRCL, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, and STELAR). In addition to our newsletter digest, we disseminate your news items on our website and social media.
News from NSF
- Employment Opportunity at NSF
The incumbent for this program director position will work in one or more of the following programs: Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL), Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12), Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST), EHR Core Research, Advanced Technology Education (ATE, in partnership with the Division of Undergraduate Education), Future of Work at the Human-Technology Frontier (FW-HTF, in partnership with other NSF directorates), Cyberlearning for Work at the Human-Technology Frontier (in partnership with other NSF directorates).
- What Was Your STEM Spark?
NSF is asking anyone who has a passion for science to share the moment that sparked their curiosity about or interest in science, technology, engineering or math via Twitter or Instagram (#MySTEMspark), starting November 26.
News from DRK–12 Projects & Awardees
- Addressing the Epistemic Elephant in the Room: Epistemic Agency and the Next Generation Science Standards
Publication | Emily Miller, Eve Manz, Rosemary Russ, David Stroupe, and Leema Berland co-authored this Journal of Research in Science Teaching article.
- Designing Educational Systems to Support Enactment of the Next Generation Science Standards
Publication | Charles Anderson, Elizabeth de los Santos, Sarah Bodbyl, Beth Covitt, Kirsten Edwards, James Brian Hancock II, Qinyun Lin, William Penuel , and Mary Margaret Welch co-authored this Journal of Research in Science Teaching article.
- English Learners in STEM Subjects: Transforming Classrooms, Schools, and Lives
Publication | Several DRK-12 awardees were authors on the recently released National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine report.
- Examining the Career Paths of Doctorates in Mathematics Education Working in Institutions of Higher Education
Publication | Jeffrey Shih, Robert Reys, Barbara Reys and Christopher Engledowl co-authored this Investigations in Mathematics Learning article.
- Karen Trujillo Elected to Board of County Commissioners
Awards & Recognition | Former CADRE Fellow, Karen Trujillo, was elected to serve on the Doña Ana Board of County Commissioners.
Email email@example.com to share news from your project.
News from NSF Networks
- Blog: Evaluating Educational Programs for the Future STEM Workforce: STELAR Center Resources
STELAR has a database of nearly 150 research and evaluation instruments.
- CAISE on the Road: A Report of Fall Conferences
CAISE shares quick summaries of events they attended this fall, with links to publicly available resources posted by conference organizers.
- MSP News: Supporting English Learners in STEM subjects
MSPnet has compiled resources related to supporting English learners in STEM subjects.
See our Upcoming CADRE & NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- December 19 - Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Full Proposal Deadline)
- January 24 - EHR Core Research
- February 12 - Computer Science for All (CSforAll)
- April 2 - Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
- November 30 - International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology | Special Issue on Digital Game-based Learning
- December 1 - Science and Children | Differentiation Strategies [Modifications to Meet Student Learning Needs]
- December 1 - Science Scope | Moving Toward 3D Instruction
- January 1 - NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership | Spring 2019
- January 1 - Science and Children | Early Childhood Engineering Experiences
- January 14 - Chemistry Education Research and Practice | Visualisations and Representations in Chemistry Education
- January 15 - Connected Science Learning | Practical Program Evaluation
- February 1 - Science Scope | Differentiating for the Gifted and Advanced Learner
- December 3 - 2019 NSTA STEM Forum & Expo (Call for Proposals)
- December 11 - SIGCSE ACM Global Computing Education Conference 2019 (Poster Deadline)
- December 15 - Doctoral Consortium at 2019 CSCL Conference (Call for Participation)
- December 20 - 2019 ASTC Annual Conference (Call for Proposals)
- January 15 - 2019 NSTA Area Conferences (Call for Proposals)
- January 30 - 2019 AACE EdMedia + Innovate Learning Conference (Call for Papers)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers, and Researchers.
- Until filled - McRel Research and Evaluation Job Openings
- Until filled - Tufts University: McDonnell Family Bridge Professor in STEM Education Research (Review of applications begins November 2)
- Until filled - University of Pennsylvania: Postdoctoral Fellow in the Learning Sciences and Science Education
- Until filled - University of California, Berkeley: Postdoctoral Scholar for WISE The Web-based Inquiry Science Environment (WISE)
- Until filled - University of Delaware: Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor in Learning Sciences
- Until filled - The Concord Consortium: Research Assistant or Associate in Geosciences
- Ongoing - CASIS (International Space Station) Partnering Opportunity
- Ongoing - Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Ongoing - Teaching for Equity and Excellence in Mathematics: Call for Reviewers
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
- Brief | Creating Inclusive PreK-12 STEM Learning Environments
- Meet the 2018-19 CADRE Fellows
- Video | Broadening Participation in STEM
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.