Spotlight on Visual Representations in Mathematics
- CAREER: Algebraic Knowledge for Teaching: A Cross-cultural Perspective (Grades 1-4)
- Developing Formative Assessment Tools and Routines for Additive Reasoning (Grades: K-3)
- INK-12: Teaching and Learning Using Interactive Ink Inscriptions in K-12 (Grades 3-5)
- Mathematical Learning via Architectural Design and Modeling Using E-Rebuild (Grades 6-8)
- Proportions Playground: A Dynamic World to Support Teachers' Proportional Reasoning (Grades 6-7)
New NSF Research.gov Proposal Preparation and Submission Site
Beginning April 30, proposers can choose to use Research.gov or the existing FastLane system to upload proposals. Note, however, that any proposal submitted through Research.gov will not be available in FastLane (and vice versa). Eventually, NSF's goal is to move proposal preparation and submission fully over to Research.gov.
2018 STEM For All Video Showcase
Join us next month for the 2018 STEM for All Video Showcase. This year's showcase will feature more than 200 federally funded videos. Support your colleagues by joining in the discussions and voting for your favorite videos and projects. This is a great opportunity for early career researchers to learn from and interact with others in the field of STEM education research.
REMINDER: Webinar on Crafting Your Message for Conversations with Policymakers
Join us for a virtual discussion on crafting appropriate messages for conversations with local, state, and national policymakers about preK-12 STEM education research.
Project Tip: Instruments for Measuring Student and Teacher Outcomes
CADRE's Compendia of Research Instruments can provide a starting point for researchers looking for existing measures:
Advancing Online & Blended Professional Development through NSF's DRK-12 Program
Newsbites from DRK–12 & NSF
We're pleased to share news from DRK--12 projects and people, as well as our sister resource networks who serve other NSF funding programs (ATECentral, CAISE, CIRCL, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, and STELAR). In addition to our newsletter digest, we disseminate your news items on our website and social media.
News from DRK–12 Projects & Awardees
- Ocean Tracks - A Journey Through the Ocean: A Modern Approach to Science Education
Publication | A recent Scientia article features Ocean Tracks, a curriculum and online tool for exploring authentic animal tracking, human impact, and oceanographic data.
- National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades: Executive Summary
Report | The Strengthening Mathematics Intervention Classes project recently shared results from a national survey that characterize the national landscape of mathematics intervention classes, including the content focus, staffing, structures, practices, and challenges faced.
- Supporting Mathematics Teachers in the United States and Finland
Report | The National Academies recently released proceedings from a bilateral workshop, hosted and facilitated by the US National Commission on Mathematics Instruction, focused on preparing and supporting mathematics educators throughout their careers. Workshop video, presentations, and readings are also available.
- New DataNugget: The Case of the Collapsing Soil
Activity | DataNuggets has released a new set of student activities and a teacher guide focused on how climate change is affecting soil in the Florida Everglades.
- Zoombinis: A Game of Computational Thinking
Event | The Zoombinis project had a unique dissemination opportunity. They were featured as part of the Cambridge Science Festival in April.
News from NSF Networks
2018 Spring ATE Webinar Series
Webinar | ATE hosted a three-part webinar series on sustainability strategies for ATE projects and centers. Sessions included Taking Stock and Planning for Success; Re-visiting Your Sustainability Goals in a Post-Grant World; and Succession Planning: How to Build a Plan So That Your Work Continues Without You. Slides and recordings are available.
Classroom Practices for Modeling Virtual Reality
Webinar | On May 1 at 7:30pm EST, CS for All Teachers will host a webinar on virtual reality products for educators and their use in the classroom.
Cultural, Cognitive, Experiential, and Attitudinal Influences on Computational Thinking Development
Webinar | On March 14, MSPnet hosted a webinar with STEM+C awardees Steven Moore and Roxana Hadad about their work on computational thinking. A recording of the webinar is available.
See our Upcoming CADRE & NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
The following funding, publication, and career opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you or your DRK-12 colleagues.
- May 14 - Critical Techniques, Technologies and Methodologies for Advancing Foundations and Applications of Big Data Sciences and Engineering (BIGDATA)
- June 4 - Future of Work at the Human - Technology Frontier: Advancing Cognitive and Physical Capabilities (FW-HTF)
- June 11 - Cognitive Neuroscience (CogNeuro)
- July 2 - STEM + Computing K-12 Education (STEM+C)
- July 11 - Science of Learning (SL)
- July 18 (EHR Deadline) - Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
- July 24 (Letter of Intent for Research Initiation Awards) - Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP)
- May 31 - Teaching Children Mathematics | Going Beyond the Gradebook - Using Student Work to Guide Instruction
- June 1 - Educational Leadership | When Teachers Lead Their Own Learning
- June 1 - Science and Children | Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions (PS2)
- June 1 - Science Scope | Oceans
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
- DRK-12 Websites, Publications, and Presentations
- Modeling Twitter Chat & NSTA Sessions
- CADRE Postdoc Professional Growth Opportunity
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.