Top @cadrek12 Tweet:
Featured #DRK12 Publication: Using Technology to Support Teachers' Lesson Adaptations During Lesson Study
Top CADREK12 Facebook Post:
CADRE's Spotlight on #Argumentation, Critique, & Other Discursive STEM Practices was featured in @NSTA's Nov Freebies
Most Clicked Newsletter Item: 2016-2017 DRK-12 Awards
Most Clicked Project Newsbite—A Tie!
- Introduction to the Five Tools and Processes for NGSS
The Moving Next Generation Science Standards into Practice project released tools to support teachers' adoption of the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Nebraska-led Project Aims to Boost Climate Literacy
Nebraska Today spoke with Cory Forbes about his newly funded DRK-12 project, which will develop an online tool focused on climate modeling.
- CADRE Dissemination Toolkit
This compilation of resources for disseminating project work includes information on creating a project communication plan, developing strategies for disseminating specific products, as well as specific dissemination approaches and needs (e.g., Video & Podcasts).
- CADRE Early Career Guide
This Guide offers advice from experienced DR K-12 awardees on becoming a successful researcher in the field of STEM education, including tips on academic and non-academic careers, writing for publication, building professional networks, and developing NSF proposals.
- Emerging Design Principles for Online and Blended Professional Development in K-12 STEM
This report, developed in collaboration with DRK-12 awardees, offers and illustrates a set of emerging design principles for online and blended teacher PD programs in K-12 STEM education.
- STEM Practices Spotlights
25 projects and their products were highlighted in three new spotlights, launched in 2017.
- Scientific Modeling
- Argumentation, Critique, & Other Discursive STEM Practices
- Analyzing & Interpreting Data Across STEM Disciplines
- Tips for Preparing NSF Project Reports
This tool offers tips for preparing and submitting annual, interim, final, and project outcomes reports to the National Science Foundation.
Project Tip! For up-to-date information on DRK-12 projects:
We're pleased to share this quarter's news from DRK-12 projects and people, as well as our sister resource networks who serve other NSF funding programs (ATECentral, CAISE, CIRCL, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, and STELAR). In addition to our newsletter digest, we disseminate your news items on our website and social media. Let us hear from you!
News from DRK-12 Projects & Awardees
- Data Nuggets YouTube Channel
Videos | Data Nuggets has created a YouTube channel featuring videos by project scientists as well as their experimental trials.
- Data Science Webinar with Michelle Wilkerson
Presentations | In this webinar hosted by The Concord Consortium, Michelle Wilkersonpresents her work on data moves and data stories.
- Finding Their Way: Family Engagement with Digital Math Activities Helps Children Develop Spatial Skills
Blogs | In the Global Family Research Project blog, Heather Sherwood and Ashley Lewis Presser discuss the Next Generation Preschool Math project and suggest activities for families to promote spatial thinking at home and on the go.
- High School Students' Evaluations, Plausibility (re) Appraisals, and Knowledge about Topics in Earth Science
Publications | In this Science Education article, Doug Lombardi and co-authors discuss evaluation of scientific and alternative models in Earth Science, based on research from the Engaging Students in Scientific Practices: Evaluating Evidence and Explanation in Secondary Earth and Space Science project.
- New Website on Model Based Biology
Websites | The Modeling Scientific Practice in High School Biology: A Next Generation Instructional Resource project just launched a new website featuring curriculum, an online community of teachers, and additional resources to support model based biology education.
News from NSF Networks
- 2017 AISL Awards Catalogued on informalscience.org
A list of the 2017 AISL awards is now available. Projects are categorized by project types (Broad Implementation, Conferences, EAGER, Exploratory Pathways, Innovation in Development, Research in Service to Practice, and Travel Grant) and also available for search and filter by audience type and disciplinary content.
- Accessible Cyberlearning: What You Need to Know to Create an Accessible Cyberlearning Program
On January 24, CIRCL will host a webinar where Sheryl Burgstahler and Raymond Rose will share information on legal issues and first steps that cyberlearning projects can take to make their activities and resources more accessible.
- Building the Foundational Skills Needed for Success in Work at the Human-Technology Frontier
STELAR recently published a paper exploring the foundational skills needed for success on the human-technology frontier and illustrating how the NSF ITEST program is uniquely positioned to add value as an early intervention model for building a robust future ready STEM workforce.
- Social and Emotional Learning: Preamble
In the latest MSPnet blog post, Brian Drayton discusses historical and current views on character development in preparation for a series of posts on current research on social and emotional learning.
See our Upcoming NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
The following funding, publication, and career opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you or your DRK-12 colleagues.
- January 8, 2018 - Cyberlearning for Work at the Human-Technology Frontier
- January 16, 2018 - Developmental Sciences (DS)
- January 17, 2018 - Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers (ADVANCE)
- January 17, 2018 - Science of Learning
- January 31, 2018 - Education Policy Analysis Archives Online | Edtech and the Policies of Human Formation
- February 1, 2018 - Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School | 2019 Focus Issue: Making Math Social
- February 1, 2018 - Science and Children | Early Childhood: The Reggio Emilia Approach to Science
- February 1, 2018 - Science Scope | MS-ESS2 Earth's Systems
- February 1, 2018 - The Science Teacher | Creativity in the Science Classroom
For other publication opportunities, including those with ongoing submissions, see CADRE's List of STEM Education Publications (PDF).
- December 29, 2017 - Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE) Global Learn 2018 Conference
- December 31, 2017 - 8th Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Integrated STEM Education Conference
- Ongoing - NSF DRL Program Directors