DRK-12 Research and Products
Developing Algebra-ready students for Middle School: Exploring the Impact of Early Algebra (Blanton, Knuth)Presentation | This is a 3-year project designed to build the preliminary components for investigating the impacts of early algebra education on students’ algebra readiness in middle grades.
- Presentation | In this session, the presenters discuss findings and experiences regarding technology-embedded assessment and how to support teachers in using it effectively.
- Publication | The fourth print edition from summer 2009 of our science news publication, in pdf format. The articles in this edition, unlike the others, are written by high school teachers who participated in our summer PD.
- Presentation | This session presents an instrument for measuring preservice elementary teachers’ application of instructional planning practices and discusses the relationship between these practices and teachers’ knowledge.
- Publication | The first print edition from academic year 2010-11 of our student written science news publication, in pdf format. This is meant to be printed on large format paper, and folded, but it can be viewed online.
Analysis of Children’s Mechanistic Reasoning about Linkages and Levers in the Context of Engineering Design (Benenson, Bolger, Kobiela)Presentation | Following a hands-on experience in mechanism design, participants discuss the knowledge of content, pedagogy, and student thinking needed to support similar experiences for children.
- Publication | In A. Florio (Editor) Mathematics for every student: Responding to diversity, Grades 9-12 (pp. 103-115). Reston, Va: NCTM.
- Presentation | Thinking with Data (TWD) is an Instructional Materials Design (IMD) project which developed and tested a cross-curricular unit designed to cultivate middle school students’ deep understanding of data literacy. The TWD unit consists of four, 2-week replacement modules for...
- Presentation | The group will discuss current research and practice in educational social networks and questions in this area that still need to be answered.
Integrating Innovative Technologies in Inquiry Science: Professional Development for Teachers and the Impacts on Teacher and Student Learning (Dorsey, Linn, Ryoo, Gerard)Presentation | This session presents results from four studies investigating professional development support for teachers’ use of innovative technologies in inquiry science and the impacts of support on learning.
Tipping Points: Tools and Routines To Support Expert-Like Practice in Early Career Teachers (Thompson, Windschitl, Braaten)Presentation | Presenters share outcomes of a research-based, tool-supported system of induction created to advance novice teachers’ capacity to scaffold students’ construction of evidence and explanation.