We received many qualified applicants for the 2018-19 CADRE Fellows program and will announce acceptances in our October newsletter. Thank you to applicants and nominating awardees!
For those interested in STEM education policy, the White House convened stakeholders this summer to help inform the development of the 2018-2023 strategic plan for implementing STEM Education across the United States. Read the Summary of The 2018 White House State Federal STEM Education Summit. Key takeaways include:
- forging stronger connections for students between education and work
- focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship
- integrating Computer Science principles across the educational experience
- improving access of STEM programs for all Americans
As a reminder, if your project has new resources, a new website, or other news to share, please let us know at email@example.com.
New DRK-12 Awardees
Informational Webinars on DRK-12 Solicitation (17-584): Slides and Recordings
NSF Program Directors Robert Ochsendorf and Karen King led two webinars on the DRK-12 Solicitation (17-584), addressing the solicitation and proposal preparation process. As a reminder, the submission deadline is November 14, 2018.
Broadening Participation Research Tip
Are you new to research on broadening participation? Read The Use of Theory in Research on Broadening Participation in PreK-12 STEM Education: Information and Guidance for Prospective DRK-12 Grantees, written by members of the DRK-12 topical group on broadening participation in STEM.
Newsbites from DRK–12 & NSF
We're pleased to share news from DRK--12 projects and people, as well as our sister resource networks who serve other NSF funding programs (ATECentral, CAISE, CIRCL, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, and STELAR). In addition to our newsletter digest, we disseminate your news items on our website and social media.
News from DRK–12 Projects & Awardees
- Mathematically Educated
Blog | In her blog, Zandra de Araujo writes regularly about the teaching and learning of mathematics.
- Reconceptualizing Libraries: Perspectives from the Information and Learning Sciences
Publication | A new book edited by Victor Lee and Abigail Phillips, with chapters written by a number of DRK-12 awardees, offers cases and models for "understanding how physical libraries can incorporate and thrive as educational resources using new developments in technology and in the learning sciences."
- Sorto Named 2018-19 National Science Foundation Program Officer
In the News | M. Alejandra Sorto will serve as an NSF program officer for the 2018-19 academic year.
News from NSF Networks
- 13 Viewpoints on STEM Identity
Thirteen thought leaders on STEM identify share their perspectives on informalscience.org.
- New CIRCL Primers
- Virtual Reality in Educational Settings, written by Britte Cheng and Cynthia D'Angelo.
- Broadening Youth Participation in Computer Science & Engineering, written by Judi Fusco and Patricia Schank.
- Virtual Office Hours for NSF AISL Applicants
Meet with NSF Program Officers Ellen McCallie, Sandy Welch, and Amy Wilson-Lopez on Tuesday, October 9 from 3 to 4 pm EDT or Bob Russell and Sandy Welch on Wednesday, October 24, from 3 to 4 pm EDT.
See our Upcoming CADRE & NSF Network Events page for ATE, CIRCL, CAISE, CS for All Teachers, MSPnet, or STELAR, events that may be of interest to you.
News from NSF
- The NSF 2026 Idea Machine
Enter the competition by proposing a new "Big Idea" in STEM education for future investment by NSF. The deadline is October 26, 2018. Winners will be announced August 2019.
- NSF: Next Steps Against Harassment
NSF has published a term and condition for awards that will require awardee organizations to notify the agency of any findings or determinations that an NSF-funded PI or co-PI committed harassment.
The following funding and publication opportunities, listed by deadline, may be of interest to you and your DRK-12 project members.
- October 15 - Advanced Technological Education (ATE)
- October 17 - Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Preliminary Proposal Deadline)
- October 25 - NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- November 7 - Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL)
- November 14 - Discovery Research PreK-12 (DRK-12)
- December 19 - Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers Program (IUCRC) (Full Proposal Deadline)
- February 12 - Computer Science for All (CSforAll)
- October 1 - Educational Leadership | The Power of Instructional Leadership
- October 15 - Advances in Engineering Education | Impact-Focused Engineering Education (Abstract Deadline)
- October 15 - Connected Science Learning | Serving Youth with Special Needs
- November 1 - Educational Leadership | Separate and Still Unequal: Race in America's Schools
- November 1 - Science and Children | Cross-Curricular Integration
- November 1 - Science Scope | Farm to Table (agriculture, soil chemistry, botany, animals)
- November 15 - Theory to Practice: Educational Psychology for Teachers and Teaching | Teaching on Assessment (Proposal Deadline)
- November 30 - International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology | Special Issue on Digital Game-based Learning
- December 1 - Science and Children | Differentiation Strategies [Modifications to Meet Student Learning Needs]
- December 1 - Science Scope | Moving Toward 3D Instruction
- January 1 - NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership | Spring 2019
- January 14 - Chemistry Education Research and Practice | Visualisations and Representations in Chemistry Education
- October 15 - 2019 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition (Paper Abstract Deadline)
- October 18 - 2019 AAAS Annual Meeting (E-poster Session Abstract)
- October 31 - 2019 RCML Annual Conference (Paper Proposal)
- November 12 - 2019 CSCL International Conference (Paper Proposal)
For more conference information, see CADRE's list of Conferences for STEM Educators, Policymakers and Researchers.
- November 2 - Tufts University: McDonnell Family Bridge Professor in STEM Education Research (Application Deadline)
- Until filled - University of Pennsylvania: Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Learning Sciences and Science Education
- Ongoing - CASIS (International Space Station) Partnering Opportunity
- Ongoing - Educational Technology Research and Development: Call for Reviewers
- Ongoing - Teaching for Equity and Excellence in Mathematics: Call for Reviewers
In Case You Missed It
Highlights from recent newsletters and announcements:
- CADRE Fellows Alumni: Where are they now?
- STEM Conferences and Publications
- The Use of Theory in Research on Broadening Participation in PreK-12 STEM Education: Information and Guidance for Prospective DRK-12 Grantees
A complete archive of our newsletters and announcements is available on cadrek12.org.