This project will bring together a multi-disciplinary team of researchers and science teachers to identify a set of practices that science teachers can readily incorporate into their planning and instruction. The project will design, develop, and test a research-based professional learning approach to help middle school science teachers effectively support and sustain student motivational competencies during science instruction.
Professor of Educational Psychology
About Me (Bio):
I am a professor of Educational Psychology at Michigan State University. My research focuses on the development of achievement motivation in school settings and the interplay among motivation, emotions, and learning, especially in science and mathematics. My recent work has sought to understand how motivation develops and is sustained in school settings, with a particular focus on implications for supporting persistence in STEM field.
Citations of DRK-12 or Related Work (DRK-12 work is denoted by *):
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Patall, E. A., & Pekrun, R. (2016). Adaptive motivation and emotion in education: Research and principles for instructional design. Policy Insights from Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 3, 228-236.*
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., Wormington, S. V., Snyder, K. E., Riggsbee, J., Perez, T., Ben-Eliyahu, A., & Hill, N. E. (2018). Multiple pathways to success: An examination of integrative motivational profiles among upper elementary and college students. Journal of Educational Psychology, 110, 1026-1048. doi: 10.1037/edu0000245
- Linnenbrink-Garcia, L., & Wormington, S. V. (2017). Key challenges and potential solutions for studying the complexity of motivation in schooling: An integrative, dynamic person-oriented perspective. British Journal of Educational Psychology Monograph Series, 12, 89-108.
- Robinson, K. A., Lee, Y-k., Bovee, E. A., Perez, A., Walton, S. P., Briedis, D., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. (2019). Motivation in transition: Development and roles of expectancy and task values in early college. Journal of Educational Psychology, 111, 1081-1102.
- Wormington, S. V., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. (2017). A new look at multiple goal pursuit: The promise of a person-centered approach. Educational Psychology Review, 29, 407-445.