- Publication | In this article, we explore how students attempt to bridge from their whole number reasoning to integer reasoning as they solve subtraction problems involving negative numbers.
Students’ conceptions of reflection: Opportunities for making connections with perpendicular bisectorPublication
- Publication | This study investigates facilitation of professional development to promote teacher learning when using animations and videos in a study group with five teachers.
Evolution of Unit Fraction Conceptions in Two Fifth-Graders with a Learning Disability: An Exploratory StudyPublication | This exploratory study examines how a foundational scheme of unit fractions (1/n) may evolve through the mathematical activity of two fifth grade girls.
- Publication | This paper traces the research-design-develop-test cycle of a haptically-enhanced science simulation designed to teach upper-elementary students core ideas about matter, phase change, and the role of intermolecular forces.
- Publication | When teachers understand the key purposes for having students do mathematical writing, they can use that writing to deepen understanding.
- This white paper clarifies different purposes elementary students might write in math class and presents four types of mathematical writing. We define "mathematical writing" as writing that encourages students to engage in mathematical reasoning and communication...
- Tool | The 12 Steps for a Product-Driven Dissemination Strategy can help you devise a plan for disseminating a product (a resource, activity, event, or even a milestone in your project) successfully.
- Presentation | In this November 29th webinar, NSF Program Officer David Campbell introduced DR K-12 awardees to the ins and outs of NSF DR K-12 project management.
If You Build It, Will They Reflect? Examining Teachers’ Use of an Online Video-based Learning WebsitePublication | Many teachers use online professional development websites, but little is known about what teachers actually learn from them. This study explored teacher use of an online video-based learning website with over 37,000 members.
- Publication | This article provides a framework for making sense of common online teacher learning opportunities. It also suggests situations where online professional development may be most useful and presents a challenge for educators to consider when engaging in online learning.
- Publication | Does the promise of competency-based PD outweigh the challenges to implementing it? Do we really want competency-based PD or just more effective, sustained, job-embedded PD like instructional coaching, lesson study, and the like. Read this blog by Meg S. Bates as she...
- Presentation | Variations of this slide deck were used in 3 different presentations this summer about the Teachers with Guts project.