Science as experience, exploration, and experiments: elementary teachers’ notions of ‘doing science’Publication | This study begins to reframe the deficit approach to research in science teaching by privileging the experiences elementary teachers have had with science – both in and out of schools – throughout their lives. This work demonstrates that teachers’ storied lives are...
- Publication | In this article, authors introduce the design of a science teaching video club and present a study of its implementation.
Teachers’ Noticing of Students’ Thinking in Science Through Classroom Artifacts: In What Ways Are Science and Engineering Practices Evident?Publication | Building on the work of teacher noticing, this study investigated teachers’ noticing of students’ thinking evident in artifacts from their science teaching context.
- Publication | The study examines geometry teachers' video club discussions in a two-year professional development intervention that combined lesson study, video clubs, and animation discussions to promote teacher noticing of students' prior knowledge.
- Publication | This chapter focused on learning and teaching measurement.
- Publication | In this paper, authors present the causal loop diagrams developed to explain the relationships between the actors and attributes involved in implementing EarSketch in a particular school setting. The diagram allows us to better make decisions that ensure both an engaging...
- Publication | This article focused on equitable mathematics instruction for U.S. and Korean preservice teachers.
Moving toward approximations of practice in teacher professional development: Learning to summarize a problem-based lessonPublication | This article focuses on problem-based lessons in teacher professional development.
- Publication | In this paper, authors explore collaborative music live coding (CMLC) using the live coding environment and pedagogical tool EarSketch. In particular, we examine the use of turn-taking and a customized chat window inspired by the practice of pair programming, a team-based...
Directing focus and enabling inquiry with representations of practice: Written cases, storyboards, and teacher educationPublication | In this conference paper, authors discuss affordances and liabilities of using a storyboard to depict a written case of a teacher’s dilemma that involves race, opportunity to learn, and student community.
Children’s Measurement: A Longitudinal Study of Children’s Knowledge and Learning of Length, Area, and VolumePublication | This monograph is a report on a four-year-long multisite longitudinal study that studied children’s thinking and learning about geometric measurement (i.e., length, area, and volume).
Designing Simulations to Learn About Pre-service Teachers’ Capabilities with Eliciting and Interpreting Student ThinkingPublication | This chapter focuses on the design of simulation assessments to learn about pre-service teachers’ capabilities with eliciting and interpreting student thinking.
- Publication | This conference paper explains how EarSketch affects student persistence.
- Publication | This column provides ideas and techniques to enhance your science teaching.
- Publication | This study examines how students’ engineering notebooks across four units of the curriculum Engineering is Elementary (EiE) support student work during design challenges.