- Publication | This paper describes a strategic process for using formative assessment probes to gather and interpret evidence of student mathematics understandings and misconceptions and then targeting instruction to address identified needs.
Challenges to using the regression discontinuity design in educational evaluations: Lessons from the Transition to Algebra studyPublication | This article describes the use of RD design to evaluate the impact of a supplemental algebra-readiness curriculum, Transition to Algebra, on students’ mathematics outcomes.
- Publication | This study tests that logic model by comparing the high school experiences and achievement of students in ISHSs and comparison schools in North Carolina.
Responding to children’s mathematical thinking in the moment: An emerging framework of teaching movesPublication | This case study contributes to efforts to characterize teaching that is responsive to children’s mathematical thinking.
Towards teleoperation-based interactive learning of robot kinematics using a mobile augmented reality interface on a tabletPublication | This paper outlines the development of a mobile application executing on a tablet device, which renders an immersive AR-based graphical user interface to enable users to monitor, interact with, and control a four link underactuated planar robot.
- Publication | This paper presents the development of an immersive user interface on a tablet device that can be used by engineering students to interact with a motor test-bed as they examine the effects of discrete-time pole locations on the closed-loop dynamic response of the test-bed.
- Publication | This article describes a new open-source systems modeling tool called SageModeler and a curricular approach designed to support students and teachers in engaging in systems modeling.
Practice What You Teach: A Video-Based Practicum Model of Professional Development for Elementary Science TeachersPublication | This study examines an innovative professional development program that provides teachers with an opportunity to practice pedagogical strategies in a low stakes classroom context.
- Publication | In this exploratory study, we present typologies that represent two primary challenges teachers faced in developing coherent conceptual storylines in their lesson design, and examine the extent to which professional development enhanced their capacity to develop a coherent...
School resources in teaching science to diverse student groups: An intervention’s effect on elementary teachers’ perceptionsPublication
Elementary teachers’ science knowledge and instructional practices: Impact of an intervention focused on English language learnersPublication | As part of a three-year curricular and professional development intervention focused on English language learners (ELLs), this study examined the intervention's effect on teachers' science knowledge and instructional practices after one year of implementation.
- Publication | This Sprout Pro in a classroom handbook is designed to give you a starting point for integrating Sprout Pro into your learning environment and igniting your students’ creativity.
- Publication | No longer only for the elite, a new generation of science high schools could help low-income and minority students get better jobs.
- Publication | We report on an eight-year project in which we partnered with several large urban school districts in the U.S. that were attempting to support mathematics teachers’ development of ambitious, inquiry-oriented instructional practices.