DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | This resource provides access to a classroom video of a lesson from the project's middle school ecosystems unit, and the related student scaffold and scoring rubric.
- Publication | This article describes a four-step strategy used in our professional development program to help elementary science teachers recognize and create lesson plans with coherent conceptual storylines.
- Publication | Using structural equation modeling, the researchers test a path model of various physics identity constructs, extending an earlier, established model. In this paper, they also compare a preliminary structural analysis of students' physics identities before and after the...
- Presentation | In this study we investigate the teaching of the associative property in a natural classroom setting through observation of classroom video of several elementary math classes in a large urban school district.
- Tool | Model My Watershed is a watershed-modeling web app that enables citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, educators, and students to analyze real land use and soil data in their neighborhoods and watersheds; model stormwater runoff and water-quality...
- Tool | The SageModeler modeling tool allows students to construct dynamic models and validate their models by comparing outputs from their own models with data from one or more other sources, including national datasets, experimental data gathered from probes, or data generated by...
The Use of Theory in Research on Broadening Participation in PreK–12 STEM Education: Information and guidance for prospective DRK–12 granteesPublication | This paper seeks to provide a resource for prospective DRK-12 awardees by identifying some of the theories that current and recent DRK-12 awardees are using in their research on broadening participation.
- Tool | Seasons is a free and innovative 8-day unit that provides interactive videos, hands-on activities, lesson plans, and student worksheets to explore the causes behind Earth’s seasons.
Transferring specialized content knowledge to elementary classrooms: Preservice teachers’ learning to teach the associative propertyPublication | This study explores how preservice teachers (PSTs) transfer the intended specialized content knowledge (SCK) to elementary classrooms.
- Publication | In this article, authors describe how we engaged grade 3–5 students in an engineering design activity supported with relevant reading, writing, and talking tasks embedded within the engineering design activity.
- Publication | This conference paper explains how EarSketch affects student persistence.
What They Learn When They Learn Coding: Investigating Cognitive Domains and Computer Programming Knowledge in Young ChildrenPublication | This study investigated N = 57 Kindergarten through second grade children’s performance on a programming assessment after engaging in a 6-week curricular intervention called ScratchJr.
- Publication | Eight middle school mathematics teachers’ perceptions and uses of curriculum materials and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) were investigated.
- Publication | Authors discuss insights from research on K-16 climate education.
- Publication | The imperative that all students, including English learners (ELs), achieve high academic standards and have opportunities to participate in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learning has become even more urgent and complex given shifts in science and...
- Tool | Moon Phases & Eclipses is a free and innovative 3-day unit that provides interactive videos, hands-on activities, lesson plans, and student worksheets to explore why the Moon's phase changes.
- Publication | This article describes a tool to build, ensure, and solidify students’ understanding of quantitative relationships.
Designing Simulations to Learn About Pre-service Teachers’ Capabilities with Eliciting and Interpreting Student ThinkingPublication | This chapter focuses on the design of simulation assessments to learn about pre-service teachers’ capabilities with eliciting and interpreting student thinking.
- Publication | In this study we examined 5th-grade teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) for 1 particular core idea: the small particle model (SPM) of matter. We assessed teachers’ initial PCK through a lesson plan task, the Content Representation tool, and interviews and then...
- Publication | Features approaches for leveraging PCK research in STEM learning across formal and informal settings.
Opportunities to Participate (OtP) in Science: Examining Differences Longitudinally and Across Socioeconomically Diverse SchoolsPublication | The purpose of this study was to develop and validate a survey of opportunities to participate (OtP) in science that will allow educators and researchers to closely approximate the types of learning opportunities students have in science classrooms.
- Publication | This study explores how technology can support idea exchanges in ways that value individuals’ prior ideas, and allow students to use these ideas to benefit their own and their peers’ learning.
Transitioning from textbook to classroom instruction in mathematics: The case of an expert Chinese teacherPublication | This study reports how an expert Chinese teacher implements mathematics textbook lessons in enacted instruction.
National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades: Executive SummaryPublication | This executive summary captures the results of the National Survey on Supporting Struggling Mathematics Learners in the Middle Grades, a study designed and conducted by EDC. T
- Publication | In this study, we examined the relevance of CI in biochemical contexts and first explored the ways in which practicing biochemists consider CI relevant in their work.