DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | The study examines geometry teachers' video club discussions in a two-year professional development intervention that combined lesson study, video clubs, and animation discussions to promote teacher noticing of students' prior knowledge.
- Publication | The authors fuse Universal Design for Learning (UDL), differentiation, and talk moves into three key planning and pedagogy considerations.
- Publication | In this article, students use data and models to make a difference in their own school yard.
- Publication | This column describes creating a classroom culture for engineering.
- Publication | The study’s purpose is to describe content validity evidence related to new problem-solving measures currently under development.
Impact of Model‐based Science Curriculum and Instruction on Elementary Students' Explanations for the HydrospherePublication | Scientific modeling affords opportunities for students to develop representations, make their ideas visible, and generate model‐based explanations for complex natural systems like the water cycle. This study describes a comprehensive evaluation of a 5‐year, design‐based...
“Just put it together to make no commotion:” Re-imagining Urban Elementary Students’ Participation in Engineering Design PracticesPublication | In the growing field of K-12 engineering education, there is limited research that highlights the experiences of youth from historically marginalized communities within engineering learning environments. This study offers insights into the ways in which two groups of...
Teachers’ Noticing of Students’ Thinking in Science Through Classroom Artifacts: In What Ways Are Science and Engineering Practices Evident?Publication | Building on the work of teacher noticing, this study investigated teachers’ noticing of students’ thinking evident in artifacts from their science teaching context.
Rehumanizing the Mathematics Education of Students with Disabilities: Critical Perspectives on Research and PracticePublication | This editorial is part of a special issue of Investigations in Mathematics Learning Critical Approaches that was inspired by a Disability in Mathematics Education working group.
Uncovering the Skills That Preservice Teachers Bring to Teacher Education: The Practice of Eliciting a Student’s ThinkingPublication | This article reports a study of the specific knowledge of and skills with teaching practice that novices bring to teacher education with respect to one teaching practice, eliciting student thinking in elementary mathematics, and describes the use of a standardized teaching...
- Publication | This column provides how-to strategies and practical advice for the science teacher.
- Publication | The goal for this proceeding is to foster the conversation about validation using examples and to communicate information about validation in ways that are broadly accessible.
Scaffolding Scientific Thinking: Students’ Evaluations and Judgments during Earth Science Knowledge ConstructionPublication | Critical evaluation underpins the practices of science. In a three-year classroom-based research project, we developed and tested instructional scaffolds for Earth science content in which students evaluate lines of evidence with respect to alternative explanations of...
- Publication | This article looks at strategies that create access while maintaining the cognitive demand of a mathematics task.
- Publication | Ambitious Science Teaching outlines a powerful framework for science teaching to ensure that instruction is rigorous and equitable for students from all backgrounds. The practices presented in the book are being used in schools and districts that seek to improve science...