DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | This paper illustrates how the combination of teacher and computer guidance can strengthen collaborative revision and identifies opportunities for teacher guidance in a computer-supported collaborative learning environment.
How Place-based Science Education Strategies can Support Equity for Students, Teachers, and CommunitiesPublication | This brief describes how to support equity for students, teachers, and communities through place-based science education strategies.
- Tool | Proportions Playground is designed to build understandings of proportional reasoning.
The Role of Simulation-Enabled Design Learning Experiences on Middle School Students’ Self-generated Inherence HeuristicsPublication | This article describes the effect of simulation-enabled Learning by Design learning experiences on student-generated heuristics that can lead to solutions to problems.
- Publication | The CADRE Early Career Guide offers advice from experienced DR K-12 awardees on becoming a successful researcher in the field of STEM education. The guide also profiles a support program, the CADRE Fellows, for doctoral students in STEM education research.
- Tool | A compilation of resources for making your products and communications more accessible.
- Publication | This paper describes a program to engage teachers to learn about mechatronics, robotics, and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) through hands-on activities and collaborative research.
- Tool | The INSPIRES project revised the RTOP rubric for use in engineering classrooms. The RTOP rubric was original developed for assessing lesson design and implementation, content-propositional knowledge, procedural knowledge, classroom culture, and student-teacher relationships.
- Publication | This article discusses supporting inquiry in an online learning environment.
- Tool | Explore tips, resources, and toolkits on communication about research and development.
- Publication | The purpose of this study is to investigate students’ experimentation strategies while they work on a design challenge.
- Publication | Authors investigate ways to support students in integrating their understanding of density concepts through a graph that is linked to a simulation depicting the relationship between mass, volume, and density.
- Tool | A compilation of resources to help you determine how well your website, Facebook page, tweets, video, or email is performing and compare posts, content, and views over time.
Analyzing Successful Teaching Practices in Middle School Science and Math Classrooms when using RoboticsPublication | This paper analyzes teaching practices that successfully integrate robotics in middle school science and math classrooms.
- Publication | Linear Algebra and Geometry is aimed at preservice and practicing high school mathematics teachers and advanced high school students looking for an addition to or replacement for calculus. The materials are organized around carefully sequenced problems that help students...
- Publication | In this Journal of Science Teacher Education article, Jarod Kawasaki and William Sandoval report on one teachers’ efforts to re-design an entire instructional unit as a coherent storyline about forces and motion as a part of a multiyear professional development project...
- Publication | From 2012–2015, Advanced Placement (AP) science courses underwent a large-scale curricular reform to include more scientific inquiry and reasoning, reduce emphasis on broad content coverage, and focus on depth of understanding, with corresponding changes in high-stakes AP...
- Presentation | Watch this webinar recording with experts from the American Institutes for Research (AIR) for an engaging webinar about evidence standards.
- Publication | In this article, authors demonstrate that line following via multimodal feedback is possible on touchscreens and present guidelines for the presentation of such non-visual graphical concepts.
- Publication | This article reports on how three prospective teachers had differing opportunities to demonstrate their skills in the context of the field assessment, but similar opportunities in the context of the simulation assessment.
- Publication | Based on a teacher survey of lesson study, this study found that facilitators’ focus on student thinking, the quality of materials, and duration of lesson study were significantly associated with teacher participation in an effective inquiry process, which in turn is...
Characterizing the Interplay of Cognitive and Metacognitive Knowledge in Computational Modeling and Simulation PracticesPublication | Authors discuss student dimensions of expertise when engaged in modeling and simulation practices and describe how students used their cognitive and metacognitive knowledge to approach a computational challenge.
- Tool | A compilation of resources to help you think about audience and messaging.
- Publication | This paper describes how the design canvas of Kline et al. was adopted and implemented in our workshop and investigates its benefits.
Fostering Video Sharing and Discourse Among STEM Educational Researchers in a Multimodal EnvironmentPublication | This article looks at the 2017 STEM for All Video Showcase, a multimodal environment, that enabled educational researchers to share and discuss short videos depicting their federally-funded work to improve STEM education. In a mixed methods study, authors investigate the...