DRK-12 Research and Products
- Publication | In this paper, authors present the causal loop diagrams developed to explain the relationships between the actors and attributes involved in implementing EarSketch in a particular school setting. The diagram allows us to better make decisions that ensure both an engaging...
- Publication | This chapter focused on learning and teaching measurement.
Variations in coaching knowledge and practice that explain elementary and middle school mathematics teacher changePublication | This study investigated relationships between changes in certain types of coaching knowledge and practices among mathematics classroom coaches and how these explain changes in the attitudes, knowledge, and practice of the teachers they coach.
- Tool | This tool is designed to offer tips to principal investigators for the preparation and submission of reports to the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Publication | This paper describes model construction practices used by scientifically trained experts.
Teachers’ Views of Students’ Mathematical Capabilities: Challenges and Possibilities for Ambitious ReformPublication | This study offers a large-scale snapshot of middle-grades teachers’ views of their students’ mathematical capabilities in the context of instructional reform.
Exploring the Difficulties African-American Middle School Girls Face Enacting Computational Algorithmic Thinking over three Years while Designing Games for Social ChangePublication | This article explores middle school girls' reflections about the difficulties they faced while using computational algorithmic thinking capabilities as they engaged in collaborative game design for social change. Authors focus on how these difficulties changed over the...
- Presentation | In this October 25th webinar, NSF Program Officer Rob Ochsendorf introduced DR K-12 grantees to the ins and outs of NSF DR K-12 project management.
- Tool | The Urban Ecology Curriculum for English Learners is an interdisciplinary, standards-based, upper elementary/middle school curriculum designed to bolster English language and literacy learning for Long Term English Learners (LTELs)1, or students “at risk” of becoming LTELs...
Large Scale Scientific Modeling Practices that Can Influence Science Instruction at the Unit and Lesson LevelsPublication | In this study we articulate a multi-level scientific Modeling Practices Framework derived from expert studies on model based teaching strategies in classrooms and examine its usefulness in an actual classroom context.
- Publication | In this paper, we present a description of the EarSketch environment and curriculum. We also present an overview of the classroom environments in which EarSketch has been implemented to date, including professional development feedback, student artifacts, student engagement...
- Presentation | Variations of this slide deck were used in 3 different presentations this summer about the Teachers with Guts project.
- Publication | In this study we investigated eighth grade students’ informal justification for the circle area formula to expand accounts of the measurement knowledge for middle-school age students.
- DR K-12 project members' responses to the survey question: “What research questions or topics should be future priorities for the NSF’s DR K-12 program research agenda?”
- Publication | This article presents a framework for calculating statistical power for moderator effects at all levels for two- and three-level CRTs.
Gender Gap in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM): Current Knowledge, Implications for Practice, Policy, and Future DirectionsPublication
- Publication | Educational and societal phenomena can converge to draw attention to a new focus, such as ELs and STEM, and then trigger new research interests. A funding program can play a critical role in shaping these new research interests by prioritizing specific research topics and...
Elementary teachers’ science knowledge and instructional practices: Impact of an intervention focused on English language learnersPublication | As part of a three-year curricular and professional development intervention focused on English language learners (ELLs), this study examined the intervention's effect on teachers' science knowledge and instructional practices after one year of implementation.
- Publication | This study investigates the models of elementary content specialization (ECS) in elementary mathematics and science and the affordances and constraints related to ECS—both generally and in relation to specific models.
- Publication | This article describes the process of developing and validating a Science Instructional Practices survey instrument that is appropriate for NGSS and other related science standards.
Effectiveness of Inquiry-Based Lessons Using Particulate Level Models To Develop High School Students’ Understanding of Conceptual StoichiometryPublication | The study, an action research project carried out by a teacher enrolled in a long-term professional development program, has implications for the value of rigorous materials design and evaluation framed by the chemistry education research literature.
- Publication | Providing opportunities for learning through professional development requires the examination of facilitation of sessions with teachers. This study investigates facilitation of professional development to promote teacher learning when using animations and videos in a study...
Beyond the controversy: Instructional scaffolds to promote critical evaluation and understanding of Earth sciencePublication | Our project team has been developing and testing four MELs about socio-scientific issues (climate change, wetlands and land use, fracking and earthquakes) and abstract ideas (formation of Earth’s Moon) for use in high school classrooms.
A Training Ground for Women of Color in STEM: Spelman College Tackles the STEM Pipeline as a Social Justice IssuePublication | Paper from the 2016 Advancing Social Justice from Classroom to Community Conference.
Invaluable values: an expectancy-value theory analysis of youths’ academic motivations and intentionsPublication | While Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields have increased in importance over the past decade, minorities have remained traditionally underrepresented in these fields. In this study we seek to better understand some of the factors that might contribute to...