DRK-12 Research and Products
Attributes of instances of student mathematical thinking that are worth building on in whole-class discussionPublication | This study investigated attributes of 278 instances of student mathematical thinking during whole-class interactions that were identified as having high potential, if made the object of discussion, to foster learners’ understanding of important mathematical ideas.
Integrating Geospatial Technologies in Fifth-Grade Curriculum: Impact on Spatial Ability and Map-Analysis SkillsPublication | This study explores the effects of geographic information systems (GIS) curriculum on fifth-grade students' spatial ability and map-analysis skills.
- Tool | This guide is for DRK-12 awardees to learn about the support and resources on the cadrek12.org site.
- Publication | The results from these analyses are intended to guide researchers in making more-informed decisions about the tradeoffs and considerations involved in selecting study designs for assessing the impacts of professional development programs.
Children’s Measurement: A Longitudinal Study of Children’s Knowledge and Learning of Length, Area, and VolumePublication | This monograph is a report on a four-year-long multisite longitudinal study that studied children’s thinking and learning about geometric measurement (i.e., length, area, and volume).
- Publication | This article examine geometry teachers' perspectives regarding realistic contexts during a lesson study cycle. I ask the following. (a) What are the participants' perspectives regarding realistic contexts that elicit students' prior knowledge? (b) How are the participants'...
- Publication | This tool is designed for early career STEM education researchers to offer tips for pursuing careers in academia. The advice largely comes from National Science Foundation-funded awardees who have graciously shared information about their own career pathways, work...
- Publication | Submitting a proposal to NSF's DR K-12 Program? Read the latest solicitation.
Directing focus and enabling inquiry with representations of practice: Written cases, storyboards, and teacher educationPublication | In this conference paper, authors discuss affordances and liabilities of using a storyboard to depict a written case of a teacher’s dilemma that involves race, opportunity to learn, and student community.
- Publication | When teachers understand the key purposes for having students do mathematical writing, they can use that writing to deepen understanding.
- Publication | In this study, we challenge the deficit perspective on mathematical knowing and learning for children labeled as LD, focusing on their struggles not as a within student attribute, but rather as within teacher-learner interactions. We present two cases of fifth-grade...
- Publication | A guide for preparation and submission of NSF applications via grants.gov. Effective January 30, 2017.
- Publication | In this paper, authors explore collaborative music live coding (CMLC) using the live coding environment and pedagogical tool EarSketch. In particular, we examine the use of turn-taking and a customized chat window inspired by the practice of pair programming, a team-based...
- Presentation | Cognitive differences intrinsic to children with learning disabilities (LDs) have historically led to deficit assumptions concerning the mathematical experiences these children “need” or can access. We argue that the problem can be located not within children but instead as...
- Presentation | This AERA structured poster session shed light on the DRK-12 portfolio of transformative research in mathematics education.
- Publication | The Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) is comprised of documents relating to the National Science Foundation's proposal and award process for the assistance programs of NSF.
- Publication | Perspectives from the 2017 AERA Conference session "Navigating the Academic Job: Perspective from Deans, Late-Career Faculty, and New faculty at Varying Universities.”
- Tool | A student assessment of science literacy for urban ecology.
- Presentation | NSF program director provides information on the DR K-12 program and solicitation in this webinar series.
- Publication | We report on an eight-year project in which we partnered with several large urban school districts in the U.S. that were attempting to support mathematics teachers’ development of ambitious, inquiry-oriented instructional practices.
Prompting meaningful analysis from pre-service teachers using elementary mathematics video vignettesPublication | By altering the framing conditions that accompany video clips posted to the Everyday Mathematics Virtual Learning Community, this study examined whether more deeply analytical comments could be elicited from pre-service teachers.
Supporting Mentor Teachers in the Assessment of and Inquiry into High-Leverage Science Teaching PracticesPublication | This paper reviews the literature on mentor teachers’ learning in relationship to high leverage practices and summarizes existing research on mentoring and experienced teacher learning that might help inform the design of our model of mentor teachers’ learning.
- Tool | This survey is designed to gather information about how interests in Urban Ecology and STEM careers have changed after participating in the Urban Ecology course.
- Tool | Find resources to help manage your NSF project.