DRK-12 Research and Products
- Tool | This lesson plan template centers the importance of including Elders and Environment in Indigenous STEM teaching and learning, and is a way for teachers to weave Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) and Western Science into lessons.
- Tool | Sortable Excel lists of DRK-12 recent publications, upcoming presentations, and project websites for 2018-19.
Engineering for sustainable communities: Epistemic tools in support of equitable and consequential middle school engineeringPublication | This study is focused on engineering for sustainable communities (EfSC) in three middle school classrooms.
- Tool | This document features issues and approaches that were discussed by a “critical friends group” in the process of providing input to a DRK-12 project on dissemination strategies. While not comprehensive, the considerations listed may serve as a reminder of what to think...
- Tool | A compilation of resources on best practices for a successful webinar and free webinar options.
- Presentation | These slides were presented at the 2019 Annual International Conference of NARST in Baltimore, MD.
Framing, Adapting, and Applying: Learning to Contextualize Science Activity in Multilingual Science ClassroomsPublication | This article looks at context-based approaches to science instruction. Authors studied the effects of changes to a set of secondary science teacher education programs, all of which were redesigned with attention to the Secondary Science Teaching with English Language and...
- Publication | In this article, authors explore a variety of types of responsive teaching and elaborate a specific type of responsive teaching—epistemologically responsive science teaching.
- Publication | This conversion mixed method study analyzed student work samples and teacher lesson plans from seven exemplary inclusive STEM high schools to better understand at what level teachers at these schools are engaging and developing student 21st Century skills.
- Publication | In this paper, the author theorizes reciprocal noticing as a relational practice through which teachers and students exchange roles as knowers by reciprocating each other’s noticing as they study mathematics concepts.
- Tool | This resource focuses on engaging learners and their families in field-based science that connects family knowledge and place-based, student-led investigations.
Teachers' framing of argumentation goals: Working together to develop individual versus communal understandingPublication | This study explores how teachers describe, or frame, expectations for classroom discussions pertaining to the science practice of argumentation. Authors use the theoretical lens of a participation framework to examine how teachers emphasize particular actions and goals for...
- Tool | A compilation of resources to help you choose the right visualization for your dissemination, as well as tips on how to create those visualizations.
- Presentation | These slides were presented at the 2019 Annual Conference of the National Science Teachers Association, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Tool | Tool for conducting classroom discussions.