DRK-12 Research and Products
Developing a Three-Dimensional View of Science Teaching: A Tool to Support Preservice Teacher DiscoursePublication | This study utilized the methodology of Improvement Science “Plan, Do Study, Act” cycles in order to design a Three-Dimensional Mapping Tool (3D Map) as a visual scaffold for use in science teaching methods courses to support preservice teachers in unpacking the components...
- Publication | Use these ideas to diagnose and address common conceptual obstacles that inhibit students’ success.
- Publication | Authors investigate in-service teachers’ scientific engagement in a blended online science inquiry course. A key implication of this study is the importance of instructional attention to epistemology and affect to create online learning environments that promote productive...
Automated text scoring and real‐time adjustable feedback: Supporting revision of scientific arguments involving uncertaintyPublication | This paper describes HASbot, an automated text scoring and real‐time feedback system designed to support student revision of scientific arguments.
From Pilots to Products: Notes from a Gathering of Researchers and Developers at the 2018 DRK-12 PI MeetingTool | This document captures the ideas and experiences shared by DRK–12 awardees who attended a forum to explore different routes toward product sustainability. It includes notes on types of DRK-12 products, use and adoption of products, resources needed to support dissemination...
- Publication | In this article, it is argued that the construct of rightful presence, and the coconstructed “making present” practices that give rise to moments of rightful presence, is 1 way to consider how to make sense of the historicized and relational nature of consequential learning.
- Tool | This document features issues and approaches that were discussed by a “critical friends group” in the process of providing input to a DRK-12 project on dissemination strategies. While not comprehensive, the considerations listed may serve as a reminder of what to think...
- Tool | Sortable Excel lists of DRK-12 recent publications, upcoming presentations, and project websites for 2018-19.
Engineering for sustainable communities: Epistemic tools in support of equitable and consequential middle school engineeringPublication | This study is focused on engineering for sustainable communities (EfSC) in three middle school classrooms.
Teachers' framing of argumentation goals: Working together to develop individual versus communal understandingPublication | This study explores how teachers describe, or frame, expectations for classroom discussions pertaining to the science practice of argumentation. Authors use the theoretical lens of a participation framework to examine how teachers emphasize particular actions and goals for...
- Publication | In this paper, the author theorizes reciprocal noticing as a relational practice through which teachers and students exchange roles as knowers by reciprocating each other’s noticing as they study mathematics concepts.
- Publication | Shifting people’s judgments toward the scientific involves teaching them to purposefully evaluate connections between evidence and alternative explanations.
- Publication | This article describes how research-based learning progressions can be used to enhance the analysis and response to student work.
Mentoring the Mentors: Hybridizing Professional Development to Support Cooperating Teachers’ Mentoring Practice in SciencePublication | This article describes key features of a hybrid professional development (PD) program that was designed to prepare elementary classroom teachers to mentor preservice teachers for effective science instruction.
- Publication | Preschoolers investigate force and motion with a digital journal.