DRK-12 Research and Products
Analysis of Children’s Mechanistic Reasoning about Linkages and Levers in the Context of Engineering Design (Benenson, Bolger, Kobiela)Presentation | Following a hands-on experience in mechanism design, participants discuss the knowledge of content, pedagogy, and student thinking needed to support similar experiences for children.
- Publication | The first print edition from academic year 2010-11 of our student written science news publication, in pdf format. This is meant to be printed on large format paper, and folded, but it can be viewed online.
- Publication | In A. Florio (Editor) Mathematics for every student: Responding to diversity, Grades 9-12 (pp. 103-115). Reston, Va: NCTM.
- Presentation | Thinking with Data (TWD) is an Instructional Materials Design (IMD) project which developed and tested a cross-curricular unit designed to cultivate middle school students’ deep understanding of data literacy. The TWD unit consists of four, 2-week replacement modules for...
- Presentation | The group will discuss current research and practice in educational social networks and questions in this area that still need to be answered.
Integrating Innovative Technologies in Inquiry Science: Professional Development for Teachers and the Impacts on Teacher and Student Learning (Dorsey, Linn, Ryoo, Gerard)Presentation | This session presents results from four studies investigating professional development support for teachers’ use of innovative technologies in inquiry science and the impacts of support on learning.
- Presentation | In this session, participants discuss knowledge synthesis in process regarding STEM teachers’ participation in professional learning communities: What have we learned and what are the implications for other NSF projects?
Tipping Points: Tools and Routines To Support Expert-Like Practice in Early Career Teachers (Thompson, Windschitl, Braaten)Presentation | Presenters share outcomes of a research-based, tool-supported system of induction created to advance novice teachers’ capacity to scaffold students’ construction of evidence and explanation.
- Presentation | This interactive session examines the different data sources for evidence of PCK in biology teachers involved in professional development experiences linked to educative curriculum materials.
SGER: Assessing the Educational, Career and Social Impacts of the XO Laptop Program in Birmingham, AL City Schools (Cotten)Presentation | The goal of this study is to assess the educational, career, and social impacts of disseminating an innovative technology, the XO laptop computer, to minority 4th and 5th grade students in Birmingham City Schools (BCS) in Alabama. This is the largest XO dissemination in the...
- Presentation | In this interactive talk, Wilson will ask each project to make explicit its assumptions about how teachers learn, the forces that matter the most, and how the logic and components of programs reflect those underlying assumptions. Wilson will then consider that array of...