Touchscreen-Based Haptic Information Access for Assisting Blind and Visually-Impaired Users: Perceptual Parameters and Design GuidelinesPublication | This paper studies key usability parameters governing accurate rendering of haptically-perceivable graphical materials
- Publication | The current study investigates two questions: (1) Do screen size and grid density impact a user's accuracy on pattern-matching tasks? (2) Do screen size and grid density impact a user's time on task?
Initial Understandings of Fraction Concepts Evidenced by Students With Mathematics Learning Disabilities and DifficultiesPublication | This study extends current literature by presenting key understandings of fractions, documented through problem-solving activity, language, representations, and operations, evidenced by students with LD and mathematics difficulties as they engaged with equal sharing...
- Publication | This article looks at strategies that create access while maintaining the cognitive demand of a mathematics task.
Rehumanizing the Mathematics Education of Students with Disabilities: Critical Perspectives on Research and PracticePublication | This editorial is part of a special issue of Investigations in Mathematics Learning Critical Approaches that was inspired by a Disability in Mathematics Education working group.
- Publication | The authors fuse Universal Design for Learning (UDL), differentiation, and talk moves into three key planning and pedagogy considerations.
Pre-service K-8 Teachers’ Professional Noticing and Strategy Evaluation Skills: An Exploratory StudyPublication | This study sheds light on three teaching competencies: Pre-service teachers’ (PSTs’) professional noticing of student mathematical reasoning and strategies, their ability to assess the validity of student reasoning and strategies, and to select student strategy for class...
Cross-Case Analysis of Engineering Education Experiences in Inclusive STEM-Focused High Schools in the United StatesPublication | The purpose of this paper is to report results of a systematic cross-case analysis exploring the extent of engineering learning opportunities in five exemplar Inclusive STEM High Schools (ISHSs).
- Publication | The goal of this paper is to examine whether having female robotics teachers positively impacts girls’ performance on programming and robotics tasks.
Fostering high school students’ conceptual understanding and argumentation performance in science through Quality Talk discussionsPublication | The purpose of our quasi‐experimental study was to examine the effectiveness of Quality Talk Science, a professional development model and intervention, in fostering changes in teachers’ and students’ discourse practices as well as their conceptual understanding and...
Promoting Linguistically Diverse Students’ Short-Term and Long-Term Understanding of Chemical Phenomena Using VisualizationsPublication | In this study, we examine the short-term and long-term effects of interactive visualizations in improving linguistically diverse eighth-grade students’ understanding of properties of matter and chemical reactions during inquiry instruction.
- Publication | This study proposes and investigates the effects of a three‐dimensional thinking graph (3DTG) that allows learners to combine in a single image, problem information, subject knowledge (key concepts and their relationships), and the hypothesizing and reasoning process...
Reframing Inclusive Science Instruction to Support Teachers in Promoting Equitable Three-Dimensional Science ClassroomsPublication | In this conceptual article, we reframe inclusive science instruction by examining the literature in science and multicultural education and describe five elements to support teachers in realizing inclusive science instruction as a pedagogical shift.
- Publication | In this study we examined 5th-grade teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) for 1 particular core idea: the small particle model (SPM) of matter. We assessed teachers’ initial PCK through a lesson plan task, the Content Representation tool, and interviews and then...
- Publication | Eight middle school mathematics teachers’ perceptions and uses of curriculum materials and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) were investigated.