- Publication | In 2012, the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City launched the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Urban Residency Program. Developing a teacher preparation program from scratch is a tall order, and the museum is learning a tremendous amount from its...
- Publication | This article describes a museum-based urban teacher-residency (UTR) program's approach to building subject-specific content knowledge and research experience in Earth Science teacher candidates.
Informal science institutions and learning to teach: An examination of identity, agency, and affordancesPublication | This article describes research from a clinical experience in a museum where teacher candidates engaged visitors in learning dialogs around objects on a moveable cart in an exhibit. We describe how working in informal settings and learning to use the affordances of that...
- Publication | This chapter examines the affordances of museum resources in informal settings and how they shape science teacher identity.
- Tool | This tool is designed to help teachers reflect on a lesson they observed and guide effective, learning-focused mentoring conversations.
Examining the Impact of Lesson-Analysis Based Teacher Education and Professional Development across Methods Courses, Student Teaching, and InductionPresentation | Presentation on ViSTA at the 2017 NARST conference in San Antonio, Texas. The ViSTA Plus project is a multi-year preservice teacher education program for elementary teachers that spans the methods course, student teaching, and the first year of teaching.
High school students’ evaluations, plausibility (re) appraisals, and knowledge about topics in Earth sciencePublication | Evaluation is an important aspect of science and is receiving increasing attention in science education. The present study investigated (1) changes to plausibility judgments and knowledge as a result of a series of instructional scaffolds, called model–evidence link...
Commentary: Meet Me in Azul’s Room: Designing a Virtual Field Placement for Learning to Teach MathematicsPublication | This article explores the ways in which a teacher educator uses digital technology to create a virtual field placement to blur the boundaries between a university methods course and teacher candidates’ field placements.
- Publication | A first-year algebra student’s curiosity about factorials of negative numbers became a starting point for an extended discovery lesson into territory not usually explored in secondary school mathematics.
- Publication | To make sense of the Common Core State Standards mathematical practice (MP) 8, this article illustrates what “repeated reasoning” means, why looking for and expressing regularity in it is such a valuable mathematical habit of mind, and how that differs from analyzing...
Early Childhood Educators’ Self-Efficacy in Science, Math, and Literacy Instruction and Science Practice in the ClassroomPublication | Quality early science education is important for addressing the low science achievement, compared to international peers, of elementary students in the United States. Teachers’ beliefs about their skills in a content area, that is, their content self-efficacy is important...
Emerging Design Principles for Online and Blended Teacher Professional Development in K-12 STEM EducationPublication | Following the launch of Spotlight on Online & Blended Professional Development (PD), CADRE convened awardees representing 11 DRK-12 projects in a series of activities designed to elicit and form consensus around emerging design principles for online and blended teacher...
- Presentation | In this October 25th webinar, NSF Program Officer Rob Ochsendorf introduced DR K-12 grantees to the ins and outs of NSF DR K-12 project management.
- Tool | This tool is designed to offer tips to principal investigators for the preparation and submission of reports to the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Tool | Find resources to help manage your NSF project.