Large Scale Scientific Modeling Practices that Can Influence Science Instruction at the Unit and Lesson LevelsPublication | In this study we articulate a multi-level scientific Modeling Practices Framework derived from expert studies on model based teaching strategies in classrooms and examine its usefulness in an actual classroom context.
- Publication | This paper describes model construction practices used by scientifically trained experts.
- Tool | List of non-academic organizations in the field of STEM education research and development.
- Tool | List of postdoc opportunities and related resources.
- Publication | Effective as of January 2017, NSF's Prospective New Awardee Guide includes information on federal requirements, NSF points of contact and frequently asked questions, grantee standards, and indirect costs.
- Publication | This commentary focuses on doctoral programs and doctoral preparation in mathematics education.
- Publication | This article highlights the production of doctorates in mathematics education for the past fifty years.
- Publication | This study reports data gathered from over 500 doctoral graduates in mathematics education from 23 institutions in the USA from 1997 to 2014 as they self-assessed their research preparation during their doctoral program.
- Publication | The article outlines some academic knowledge and intern experiences that will help prepare the next generation of researchers in mathematics education once a doctoral program has been entered.
Invaluable values: an expectancy-value theory analysis of youths’ academic motivations and intentionsPublication | In this study we seek to better understand some of the factors that might contribute to or potentially mitigate early STEM pipeline leaks, specifically, high school graduation and college entrance leaks.
- Publication | This paper investigates the potential role of emotional costs and computer self-efficacy in the connection between computer use at home and students’ computer use patterns.
- Publication | In the current study, we advance this research by using EVT as a framework to examine the STEM attitudes of young students directly. We hypothesize that students’ academic-related expectancies for success and subjective task values will be associated with an increase in...
- Publication | Calls for increased focus on mathematical argumentation in school mathematics are critical for teacher educators charged with preparing prospective K-8 teachers (PST) to foster mathematical argumentation in their future classrooms. This is because research suggests that...
Effectiveness of Inquiry-Based Lessons Using Particulate Level Models To Develop High School Students’ Understanding of Conceptual StoichiometryPublication | The study, an action research project carried out by a teacher enrolled in a long-term professional development program, has implications for the value of rigorous materials design and evaluation framed by the chemistry education research literature.
- Publication | In this study we investigated eighth grade students’ informal justification for the circle area formula to expand accounts of the measurement knowledge for middle-school age students.