- Publication | In this study, we explore four, second graders’ performances on integer addition problems before and after analyzing contrasting cases involving integers.
A Primer for Developing Measures of Science Content Knowledge for Small-Scale Research and Instructional UsePublication | This essay, intended for faculty involved in small-scale projects, courses, or educational research, provides a step-by-step guide to the process of developing, scoring, and validating high-quality content knowledge assessments.
Examining the sustainability of teacher learning following a year-long science professional development programme for inservice primary school teachersPublication | The study examined patterns of change in primary school teachers’ inquiry practices, inquiry beliefs and physical science content knowledge during both years as well as the effects of school-level and individual-level factors on these changes in the year following the...
Who Chooses STEM Careers? Using a Relative Cognitive Strength and Interest Model to Predict Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and MathematicsPublication | While past research has mainly focused on absolute cognitive ability levels in math and verbal domains, the current study tested whether relative cognitive strengths and interests in math, science, and verbal domains in high school were more accurate predictors of STEM...
- Publication | In this article, we review knowledge about student engagement and look ahead to the future of study in this area.
Motivational pathways to STEM career choices: Using expectancy-value perspective to understand individual and gender differences in STEM fieldsPublication | In this article, we conduct a literature review of the current knowledge surrounding individual and gender differences in STEM educational and career choices, using expectancy–value theory as a guiding framework.
Gender Gap in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM): Current Knowledge, Implications for Practice, Policy, and Future DirectionsPublication
- Publication | In this study, we conducted in-depth interviews with 106 students from sixth to twelfth grade and 34 middle and high school teachers about how they conceptualized math and science engagement and disengagement.
- Publication | This paper describes a model for differentiating professional development to address teachers’ varied knowledge, experiences, and interests.
- Publication | In this study, we analyze log data to examine the granularity of students’ interactions with automated scores and feedback and investigate the association between various students’ behaviors and their science performance
- Publication | The main goal of this project is to empirically estimate whether and which classroom factors contribute to mathematics gains of English Language Learners in Texas schools.
- Publication | This paper describes a strategic process for using formative assessment probes to gather and interpret evidence of student mathematics understandings and misconceptions and then targeting instruction to address identified needs.
Challenges to using the regression discontinuity design in educational evaluations: Lessons from the Transition to Algebra studyPublication | This article describes the use of RD design to evaluate the impact of a supplemental algebra-readiness curriculum, Transition to Algebra, on students’ mathematics outcomes.
- Publication | This study tests that logic model by comparing the high school experiences and achievement of students in ISHSs and comparison schools in North Carolina.